Public Reaction To Increased Costs & Decreased Value At WDW

Raineman

Original Poster
I think many people on this forum, and in general, realize that, to some degree, there has been an ongoing trend at WDW of escalating prices, but at the same time, a decrease in the value and quality of things at WDW. People are paying more to come to parks with empty buildings, parks that are not as clean as they once were, parks where new attractions do not have the same quality as the classic attractions-yet attendance continues to set records, and the $ keep rolling in to the pockets of Disney shareholders. What would be the clearest way to send a message to Mr. Iger and his cronies? Less money in their pockets. How is this accomplished? Less people at the parks. For regular visitors who notice the problems at WDW, it is easy to get fed up and stop going to WDW. For the occasional visitor, it would be harder to do this, as they have not had their "fill" of WDW yet. My question is to the occasional visitors & dyed in the wool pixie- dusters - would you stop coming to WDW for 5-10 years to try to force Disney into improvements?

Seanual757

The only way to do any damage is for folks to stop going you hit them where it hurts. Other than that folks and complain all they want but really nothing will happen.

EOD K9

For now I just use my DVC and use DCL. The problem is that they also rely on people like me who went there as a child to return and make memories with my children. They'll get one visit from me every few years as opposed to every year. But I agree with @Raineman the occasional visitors haven't noticed and will continue to go.

copcarguyp71

My guess is that domestic visitors have in fact been falling off due to lessened interest as a result of seeing through the ever thinning veil of value for the dollar. I think that is why they make so many offers to South America, the UK and Europe that we as U.S. citizens are not eligible for. Their domestic cash cow may be waning so they are seeking a new audience who will not question the man behind the curtain quite so much. That strategy can only last for so long but in the interim it seems to have bolstered their bottom line.

Our family has in fact put our money where our mouth is and been absent for four years...and PIN codes get tossed in the trash until they show us some real heartfelt improvements in value for our dollar we are on to different destinations.

Goofyernmost

My guess is that domestic visitors have in fact been falling off due to lessened interest as a result of seeing through the ever thinning veil of value for the dollar. I think that is why they make so many offers to South America, the UK and Europe that we as U.S. citizens are not eligible for. Their domestic cash cow may be waning so they are seeking a new audience who will not question the man behind the curtain quite so much. That strategy can only last for so long but in the interim it seems to have bolstered their bottom line.

Our family has in fact put our money where our mouth is and been absent for four years...and PIN codes get tossed in the trash until they show us some real heartfelt improvements in value for our dollar we are on to different destinations.
The only reason that I have gone there in the last 3 years is because 4 years ago I bought a 10 day, non-expiration ticket. I have one day left on it. If I do go to Florida before the end of this year it will be to Uni and perhaps one day at WDW to use up the ticket. After that, I really do not foresee any reason to go back unless a family member wants me to go with them on one of their trips, but, I don't see that happening either. Even 4 years ago when I bought my 10 day ticket it averaged out to $60.00 per day. At least that was a savings. I don't have a need to go for more then 3 or 4 days and that works out to to $90 to $100 per day for a PH. So, it is now more then I care to pay to see the same stuff I have seen for the last 33 years.

Chef Mickey

Let me sum it up for you as this has been discussed so often.

1) In some ways, Disney is being forced to increase prices because they failed to expand and crowds aren't slowing.

2) Price increases are not limited to Disney. They everywhere go up for everything: Sports, movies, vacations, other theme parks, food, etc.

3) Value is relative. I still find Disney a good value.

4) If you don't like it, stop going. You can return when you feel it's good value.

5) Disney is very concerned about guests having a good time and maintaining a quality experience. Zoo like crowds detract from your experience and price increases (Disney admitted as much) are part of controlling crowds.

6) Disney doesn't care if you stop going. In fact, they are probably glad because they are trying to deter some with price increases. Truth.

Schneewittchen

I just got back from my yearly family trip and now I see what everyone is talking about.

We still love WDW and will return every spring, but DH and I spent a couple of hours on the trip home talking about the negative changes we've seen. I believe this really is a case of dev hurting ops. This trip is the first time I've ever seen rampant plumbing problems. Every single bathroom in the parks had at least one out of order stall - are they laying off plumbers? Peeling paint, ragged uniforms, and just not enough staff to do crowd control..... I can only assume the reports are correct that Shanghai is bleeding the rest of the parks dry.

On the other hand, WDW is still 100 times better than any other amusement park I've ever visited, my family loves the new rides (my 4 year old daughter could only talk about how she wants to go on the Mine Train again), the staff are still fantastic, and I personally love Walt Disney's dream. Forty year old animatronics and brutalist architecture is still neat as heck.... We had some minor first aid type emergencies and the staff kept trying to help (warm fuzzies), we had the joy of an up close and personal Main Street Electrical Parade after rain cleared out the park, an amazing dinner at Artist Point, transportation worked flawlessly......

I work in a company where leadership failures and dev cost overruns are harming ops (the team I work in), so I'm sympathetic. I won't punish the hard-working people in ops for dev run amok. Anyway, with Staggs resigning and Iger retiring in 2 years, the company is probably in for a rough transition. There are probably some dark days ahead without strong leadership. Bad leadership will cause a brain drain. It wouldn't surprise me if the quality in the entertainment and broadcasting divisions suffer, once that happens the parks might have trouble attracting new visitors.... welcome to the second dark age of Disney.

Konor

Move along, nothing new to see here. Please refer to the 10-15 other threads already discussing either this directly or a similar idea that have been created in the last two weeks.

patch553

weve travelled from the uk to wdw each year for the past 10 years including for our wedding there, whilst there are many offers in the uk we still found better deals booking everything direct.Each year of late certain park perks haven't been what they wer and the closures at Hollywood really have put a cloud over the park,but looking at the bigger picture it should return to its former gloary days shortly. As for then the state of the parks, in feb we didn't really see anything to complain about but this year we rented vacation club points at bay lake and animal kingdom lodge and its not hard to see why the parks upgrades may have taken a back seat because they are beautiful. theres always swings and roundabouts but I'm sure Disney will address any issues, and we cannot wait till next years vacation

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
image.png

KikoKea

I agree with @Chef Mickey that value is relative and everyone has to decide for themselves if WDW is worth it. We think it is a great value and will continue to visit. Could areas of WDW be improved? Of course, but there is plenty for us to do that makes it worth our time and money. We plan our time around parks and activities that interest us and skip the rest. We enjoy every visit and cannot wait to return.

Chef Mickey

I just got back from my yearly family trip and now I see what everyone is talking about.

We still love WDW and will return every spring, but DH and I spent a couple of hours on the trip home talking about the negative changes we've seen. I believe this really is a case of dev hurting ops. This trip is the first time I've ever seen rampant plumbing problems. Every single bathroom in the parks had at least one out of order stall - are they laying off plumbers? Peeling paint, ragged uniforms, and just not enough staff to do crowd control..... I can only assume the reports are correct that Shanghai is bleeding the rest of the parks dry.

On the other hand, WDW is still 100 times better than any other amusement park I've ever visited, my family loves the new rides (my 4 year old daughter could only talk about how she wants to go on the Mine Train again), the staff are still fantastic, and I personally love Walt Disney's dream. Forty year old animatronics and brutalist architecture is still neat as heck.... We had some minor first aid type emergencies and the staff kept trying to help (warm fuzzies), we had the joy of an up close and personal Main Street Electrical Parade after rain cleared out the park, an amazing dinner at Artist Point, transportation worked flawlessly......

I work in a company where leadership failures and dev cost overruns are harming ops (the team I work in), so I'm sympathetic. I won't punish the hard-working people in ops for dev run amok. Anyway, with Staggs resigning and Iger retiring in 2 years, the company is probably in for a rough transition. There are probably some dark days ahead without strong leadership. Bad leadership will cause a brain drain. It wouldn't surprise me if the quality in the entertainment and broadcasting divisions suffer, once that happens the parks might have trouble attracting new visitors.... welcome to the second dark age of Disney.
Disney is just being cheap. They have more money than ever but they poor mouth it to appease shareholders.

Matt_Black

I was on another message board, centered primarily around pen & paper roleplaying, and in the off-topic section, the new morning/ evening thing came up. At least one person sounded really interested in it. When I and others pointed out they're charging more for a few extra hours than a single day ticket, they still thought it could be worth it to them. So, one man's trash, and all that.

keylimesqueeze

We too,have been going to other places and doing other things as well. We miss Disneyworld but cant justify spending the amounts of money anymore for the return we are getting. Anybody that is a "regular" visitor 1 or 2 times per year like we used to be can see that. Universal is a GREAT alternative and we'll choose to spend our hard earned money there!

Last edited:

graphite1326

Let me put it this way. My wife and I went to New Orleans for week and the whole trip cost over $3,000.00. That included air, transportation and food. We stayed in a cheaper hotel two blocks from the French Quarter. About 6 months after that we went to WDW. The whole trip cost just over $2,000.00 (lets say $2500.00 to be fair). That included air, transportation and food. We stayed at a value resort. I think WDW is still a good deal.

I left out that I had 500 points on me Disney CC so the actual cost was under $2000.00. But that doesn't make my point. Also, there is more to do at WDW. But that doesn't make my point either.

Dad 2 M & M

1) In some ways, Disney is being forced to increase prices because they failed to expand and crowds aren't slowing.

2) Price increases are not limited to Disney. They everywhere go up for everything: Sports, movies, vacations, other theme parks, food, etc.

3) Value is relative. I still find Disney a good value.
6) Disney doesn't care if you stop going. In fact, they are probably glad because they are trying to deter some with price increases. Truth.
1) And they could increase prices higher before the crowds slow(ed)
2) Dropped over $200 per to see the Stones in '15 - like Disney, worth every cent
3) Agree totally
.......moving ahead to # 6
6) And, somebody else will go in your place....actually, at least 1.2 peeps will go in your place. Truth.

draybook

It's not the raising of prices that's drawing ire from people, it's the RATE of the increases that's the problem. Sure, lots of other experiences cost more than they used to, but not at the rate that WDW does. And not all of those other experiences throw out as many CUTS in offerings while raising their prices, either. And why are people still comparing Disney to other companies, didn't Disney used to stake it's name on being an innovator?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom