Proof of Age

Bananafaceal

Original Poster
This may be a UK specific question, so forgive me if it isn’t relevant on here. My fiancée (will be husband in 3 weeks!) does want to drink alcohol at Disney world during our honeymoon, but as he is epileptic cannot apply at the moment for a driving license. Does this mean that, as he will only have a passport as proof of age, he can’t be served? Or is there any other forms of id he can show with the passport? I could go up and get alcohol for both of us, but at oga’s cantina and sit down restaurants this wouldn’t work. If it makes any difference, he has a full beard and does look at least 30.

jaklgreen

I don't think anyone can say for certain what a particular cast member will do. I would hope that a passport would be sufficient proof of age. What does he use at home? Do you not have any government issued ID other then a passport? I don't think that he will have too many issues. If a cast member questions it, I would ask nicely for a supervisor and explain the situation. I have always found that if someone explains something in a friendly manner, they can usually get you what you need.

Bananafaceal

Original Poster
I don't think anyone can say for certain what a particular cast member will do. I would hope that a passport would be sufficient proof of age. What does he use at home? Do you not have any government issued ID other then a passport? I don't think that he will have too many issues. If a cast member questions it, I would ask nicely for a supervisor and explain the situation. I have always found that if someone explains something in a friendly manner, they can usually get you what you need.

At home, a passport is fine, but the rules for people at Disney from outside of the US is that they need their passport and another form of government issued ID. I have my provisional driving license, but there is no other government issued ID in the UK since 2009 or so when they rescinded the national ID cards.

nickys

Premium Member
At home, a passport is fine, but the rules for people at Disney from outside of the US is that they need their passport and another form of government issued ID. I have my provisional driving license, but there is no other government issued ID in the UK since 2009 or so when they rescinded the national ID cards.

That’s the official blurb, and it worried me the first time we visited.

From my experience, a passport is fine. I never updated my old style driver’s licence to the photo version, (since I don’t drive it didn’t seem important, plus I lost it for a few years after a house move and when I did find it I worried about that fine 😂). My DH and eldest DS just had their DLs on them and that was fine too. I’ve never seen anyone be asked for two forms of ID.

jaklgreen

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Like I said, if someone asks for a second ID, just explain the situation. I can't really see them giving you a hard time. Congratulations and have fun.

Hcalvert

I have never been carded at any Disney restaurant, even in my early 20s. The passport should be enough as it is government-issued, has a photo, and your birth date--that is all they are interested in.

Last edited:

Jon81uk

Last trip I didn't get asked for ID at all at WDW, but I have in other places. Sometimes they are happy with UK drivers license, often they are confused by the DDMMYY date format. Some US places will only accept same state license or a passport (I have had arguments in some bars when they wouldn't accept UK licenses and wanted a passport).

As a general rule a passport is always accepted as proof as ID/age. However I worry about losing it.

But at WDW I think UK license is fine, but I've seen advice to carry a colour photocopy (printout) of your passport that could be shown alongside the license as a back up.

Hockey89

I have never been carded at any Disney restaurant, even in my early 20s. The passport should be enough as it is government-issued, has a photo, and your birth date--that is all they are interested in.
I'm 38 and got ID a few times last week at restaurants... I was just staring at them...

Bananafaceal

Original Poster
Last trip I didn't get asked for ID at all at WDW, but I have in other places. Sometimes they are happy with UK drivers license, often they are confused by the DDMMYY date format. Some US places will only accept same state license or a passport (I have had arguments in some bars when they wouldn't accept UK licenses and wanted a passport).

As a general rule a passport is always accepted as proof as ID/age. However I worry about losing it.

But at WDW I think UK license is fine, but I've seen advice to carry a colour photocopy (printout) of your passport that could be shown alongside the license as a back up.

The problem we’re having is he can’t get a licence, but hopefully passport will do. I’ll keep it in a waterproof bag on me rather than him

Jon81uk

The problem we’re having is he can’t get a licence, but hopefully passport will do. I’ll keep it in a waterproof bag on me rather than him

Oh passport will be accepted everywhere, I had a UK drivers license refused at some US places but they took passports.

KIsAPrincess

Just a personal observation, we watched two girls with passports (and no ID's) attempt to purchase alcohol at Epcot and they were refused. This was on the website - maybe you can call and explain your situation?

"All Guests visiting from outside of the United States are required to present both a valid passport as well as another form of government-issued photo ID from their country of origin.

For all questions concerning our identification requirements, please call (407) 939-6244. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permission to call."

nickys

Premium Member
Just a personal observation, we watched two girls with passports (and no ID's) attempt to purchase alcohol at Epcot and they were refused. This was on the website - maybe you can call and explain your situation?

"All Guests visiting from outside of the United States are required to present both a valid passport as well as another form of government-issued photo ID from their country of origin.

For all questions concerning our identification requirements, please call (407) 939-6244. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permission to call."

The issue is the only other form of government ID in the U.K. is a driving licence. We don’t have anything else.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I was under the impression that if you only have a pic of your passport that you needed another form of ID but maybe it is that you need a passport and ID.
I live in the US and cannot drive but I do have a state issued non driver ID. Does the UK not offer something to that effect? It seems odd that they wouldn't offer anything. Maybe contact whoever handles issuing drivers licenses and ask if there is something else?
At QS locations especially if you mobile order one person can pick up 2 alcoholic drinks and just show their ID for it. Any more alcoholic drinks and they ask for a second person with proof of age to come along to retrieve drinks.
At TS locations you're usually asked to show your ID.
Just because he "looks" 30 doesn't mean they won't require proof of age.
I'm 33 but look young so I'm asked all the time even though I'm well over the minimum age.

nickys

Premium Member
I was under the impression that if you only have a pic of your passport that you needed another form of ID but maybe it is that you need a passport and ID.
I live in the US and cannot drive but I do have a state issued non driver ID. Does the UK not offer something to that effect? It seems odd that they wouldn't offer anything. Maybe contact whoever handles issuing drivers licenses and ask if there is something else?
At QS locations especially if you mobile order one person can pick up 2 alcoholic drinks and just show their ID for it. Any more alcoholic drinks and they ask for a second person with proof of age to come along to retrieve drinks.
At TS locations you're usually asked to show your ID.
Just because he "looks" 30 doesn't mean they won't require proof of age.
I'm 33 but look young so I'm asked all the time even though I'm well over the minimum age.

Umm, I think we would know if there was the equivalent of your non-drivers ID!

Literally right above your post someone posted the actual wording from the WDW site and I had said we do not have other official state photo ID, as have others.

No, we do not have anything else. Passport or driving licence. We got rid of ID cards decades ago.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I don't think I look crazy old for my age, but I have um...RBF really bad and strangers that don't know me or in this case waiters at random restaurants most likely take one look at me and think "hmm...she looks like she needs a drink". That'd be my guess! :hilarious:

Too funny because I totally have RBF but it usually only shows up around my family/friends because I'm completely relaxed. Often in public I have a smile on my face and I have big cheeks that gives me a baby face I think lol.

Zé_Carioca

Don’t know if it is too late, but this is what was officially printed around food and wine booths at Epcot. Passport is fine by itself.

Attachments

• 83CB8713-7665-4F99-969C-9F2683D0BCCC.jpeg
    83CB8713-7665-4F99-969C-9F2683D0BCCC.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 122

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom