Project Kiwi (Groot) and Exo (Wampa & Hulk) in NYT

dsinclair

Original Poster
An interesting article in the NYT that focuses on Disneys efforts to develop animatronics to walk around the parks. The main focus is on Project Kiwi and the walking Groot, but toward the end there is this photo showing an prototype Wampa and Hulk:
19disneyrobots-1-superJumbo.jpg

This was news to me, and really think it could bring life to Galaxys Edge. Though it seems to be a few years away from being a reality, and tough to wedge into the GE narrative. Maybe a little insight into where a phase 2 is headed.

dsinclair

Original Poster
These types of projects seem to rarely move beyond R&D. Thinking about Lucky the Dinosaur!
Ultimately the cost and complexity just shuts them down once it gets to an operational phase.
The article discusses Lucky and seems to indicate this is a next phase. The Project Exo probably is more realistic to happen as it still involves CMs and is not AI dependent.

Magenta Panther

Because most of the older Disney characters (Marvel is Disney now too, like it or not) already have costumed or face characters, or are not popular enough to warrant them.

Bollocks on Marvel is Disney. Most people going to the Disney parks don't go to see Iron Man; they go to see Cinderella or Tinker Bell or Beauty and the Beast or Pirates or Elsa. And all of those are very popular still. And they still sell a ton of merchandise, so yeah they might be worthy of some of the tech the Imagineers are wasting on superpowered Spandex. :p

Kamikaze

Bollocks on Marvel is Disney. Most people going to the Disney parks don't go to see Iron Man; they go to see Cinderella or Tinker Bell or Beauty and the Beast or Pirates or Elsa. And all of those are very popular still. And they still sell a ton of merchandise, so yeah they might be worthy of some of the tech the Imagineers are wasting on superpowered Spandex. :p
I hate to break it to you, but Marvel moves more merch than all of that. Except Star Wars.

And also - plenty of people go to the Disney parks for things other than Princesses.

Its fine if you don't like Marvel, but to say no one else does is insane.

dsinclair

Original Poster
I have a theory that people often go to the parks for multiple reasons. For example they may go for both Cinderella and Iron Man. Or another person may want to experience both Star Wars related characters or rides and Frozen ones.

cranbiz

I still remember "meeting" Lucky as a kid. I knew he wasn't real, but for a dinosaur-obsessed kid, it was magical. I would love to see more stuff like him around, and this sort of thing looks cool, particularly the wampa. Shame it'll probably be all IP based, but, what can you do.
I also meet Lucky at AK. We were early to the area in Dinoland and it was worth the wait as far as I was concerned. Yeah, Lucky wasn't real but it didn't matter. It was definitely memorable. A wonderful example of what imagineering could do when they were allowed to do what they did best.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom