Problems with Passholder Preview of EE

figdonpat

Original Poster
Hello everyone. I am an annual passholder and attended the passholder preview of EE yesterday. I live 2 hrs. north of Orlando and had to wait till the weekend to attend the preview (it was scheduled Thursday - Sunday). I spoke with my friend who lives in Orlando on Friday while he was in the park. He rode EE 3 times in a row with no wait. When I got there on Saturday morning there was an appx. 20 minute line (that's what the CM told us) to get into the village area (we tried getting to it from Dinoland USA, the line in Asia looked even longer) and the line was growing fast. (By the way, there were no signs or anything, very unorganized.) After waiting in the first line, the CMs were to check to see if you were allowed into the ride (i.e. passholder). Then there was another line of at least an hour to ride EE (that's what the CM told us). So my girlfriend and I turned right back around and left and went to Downtown Disney. It was an absolute madhouse. The problem was that this wasn't open to just APs, it was open to seasonal passholders and Disney Vacation Club members. I attended the Mission: SPACE AP preview on a Saturday and there was absolutely no line at all. I was pretty upset that they opened it up to so many people, half of Orlando must have been there. That was one of the great perks of being an AP, all the AP only events. I guess next time we are at WDW for a few days we will plan on getting to AK just as it opens and ride EE before it gets too busy. :(

scottnj1966

Any passholder can go. it does not have to be annual only.

It took 1 1/2 hours to ride the first time. 30 minutes the second and 10 minutes the third time.
It is a very popular ride opening. Not like Space.
If you went on the weekend then of course it would be busy.
I went Sat and expected the line to be pretty long.
Thursday was a slow day.

I guess you do not know how many annual passholders Disney has and how many people are off the weekends. No one was goping to miss this event.

It was organized even if it did not look like it.
The time spent on line was not bad. There was alot to look at and it moved at a steady pace. The first part of the line got you to the ticket you received for the lanyard and pic. Then after that is was off to ride everest.

We were really happy they let us all ride two months before it is scheduled to open. You should have tried instead of giving up.

dmmgp2000

I have to agree with scottnj1966. My group of 3 entered the park at 9:00am Sunday morning. The line to get to the checkpoint was backed up to the Dinoland entrance sign. Prepared myself for the worst, but 10 minutes later, we were in the Everest area. Got in line for fastpass/lanyard voucher (This was really the only confusing part of the day). Fastpass had a return time of 9:35. By now, it was 9:25 so just over 10 minutes later we were on the ride.

Despite the huge crowds, there really wasn't much of a problem with anything. CMs seemed to be handling things very well. Went back at 5pm and was able to do 5 more rides in a 40 minute period, so 7 total today. Can't wait to take the rest of my family on it. Imagineering has a winner!:sohappy:

DDuckFan130

We were there Saturday morning. We waited for some people and yeah the first time we waited maybe half an hour to ride, but it was worth it. So worth it we went right back to the end of the line to ride again...and this time waited about an hour. And it was still worth it! :D

This is coming from a Seasonal passholder so sorry...I guess :p

rainfully

I walked on the ride on Thursday, and today I waited about 40 minutes the first time and 30 the second time. I didn't see any problems at all as the line moves very quickly. I've waited longer than that for Splash.

Passport

I went Friday and rode it twice with no problems and very little wait. I went again Saturday and the parking lot was almost completely full so I decided not to bother. I went to EPCOT instead. The EE preview was the easiest and smoothest of all the previews I have attended.

I was able to go on Saturday to AK and was picked to be in the parade, which was incredible!!!!!!! And headed over to EE right after the parade, and the crowds were so dead we only waited 5 minutes to get on. And was able to ride it 3 times in a row before the park closed at 6.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So let me see you were surprised that one of the most anticipated rides in WDW history had a large crowd on the weekend of the AP premier. :brick:

I can honestly say the this premiere was without a doubt one of the best handled from both a security and admission standpoint of any AP preview I have ever attended. Having the entire area shut off with 2 checkpoints requiring your AP and a photo ID was a great idea. I have been to a number of AP previews where this wasn't done and at those there were as many people there that sneaked past security as there were actually pass holders.

The description of the event as a "madhouse" couldn't be farther from the truth. Yes it was incredibly busy but it was very well organized. I rode twice on Saturday. If you arrived early to the park (we got there at 8:00 am) the ride was basically a walk on. Later in the day (about noon) it was about 20 min to get through the security check point and about 1.5 hours in the queue. The time in the queue passed very quickly because it is simply the best themed queue in WDW.

If you drove 2 hours one way ( I drove 3 hours one way with 3 kids) to ride EE why on earth did you turn around in the face of a 1 or 2 hour wait when you were at the ride?

WDWFREAK53

I'm an annual passholder and had one guest...at the "checkpoint" of the annual passholder, I was told that only DVC members could bring up to three guests, annual passholders couldn't bring any (and I knew I read on here that AP's could bring up to 3). I flew down from Boston just to ride this ride with my girlfriend...and you can imagine how upset I was when I heard this news...luckily, we snuck her in because there was confusion behind us and we rode 4 times in a row and then headed out into the rest of the park.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
WDWFREAK53 said:
I'm an annual passholder and had one guest...at the "checkpoint" of the annual passholder, I was told that only DVC members could bring up to three guests, annual passholders couldn't bring any (and I knew I read on here that AP's could bring up to 3). I flew down from Boston just to ride this ride with my girlfriend...and you can imagine how upset I was when I heard this news...luckily, we snuck her in because there was confusion behind us and we rode 4 times in a row and then headed out into the rest of the park.
I have been to 5 AP previews including EE and AP holders have never been allowed to bring guests. Someone told a fib or was very misinformed. Good to hear you got her in anyway.

Shaman

Next time I think they should do a couple of days just for DVC and a couple of days just for passholders. So lets say Thurs/Friday DVC, and Saturday/Sunday for passholders.

To be honest, the lines looked worse than they actually were...the first time I was in line and saw all those people I thought it was very disorganized. But as the line moved I realized it wasn't too bad. I was with Regina, so like she said, thirty minutes the first time and about an hour the second go.

Forget what you've read from those who have complained about EE....THE RIDE ROCKS!

:sohappy:

DDuckFan130

objr said:
Next time I think they should do a couple of days just for DVC and a couple of days just for passholders. So lets say Thurs/Friday DVC, and Saturday/Sunday for passholders.

To be honest, the lines looked worse than they actually were...the first time I was in line and saw all those people I thought it was very disorganized. But as the line moved I realized it wasn't too bad. I was with Regina, so like she said, thirty minutes the first time and about an hour the second go.

Forget what you've read from those who have complained about EE....THE RIDE ROCKS!

:sohappy:
:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

:lookaroun

Dr Albert Falls

I went on Sunday, expecting the worst. But I gotta give my highest compliments to the AK staff. They not only learned from the previous three days, they handled that enormous crowd in a way only Disney can.

We arrived at the park about 8:50 and were allowed up to the Tree of Life. At the 9am "rope drop" they had nearly a dozen CM's shouting "Passholders and DVC to the right, everyone else to the left." It was as simple as that. All AP and DVC were routed through Dinoland towards Tarzan. There was a 20-30 minute wait at the Dinoland/Asia bridge for ID purposes. Once inside, numerous CM's were holding signs indicating the Standby line and the line to pick-up FastPass tickets.

While the rest of my group got in the Standby line (45 minute wait), I grabbed some FastPasses (absolutely no wait to get them, with a return time 2 hours later) and joined them. After waiting through several "roped off" queues near the bathrooms, the standby line was routed through one side of the FastPass machines, so everyone could be given a ticket for the "Free Gift" (when you got off the ride, there was virtually no wait in the gift shop to pick up the pin and lanyard). We rode Everest twice between 9am and noon, and never once felt a bit of stress abut the huge crowds--- crowd control was THAT good.

MickeyTigg

Master Yoda said:
So let me see you were surprised that one of the most anticipated rides in WDW history had a large crowd on the weekend of the AP premier. :brick:

Exactly...were you thinking you were going to just walk on?

:hammer:

WTBAD

This was my family's first AP preview. We rode three times on Friday with very little waiting. I was surpised at how well CMs controlled the crowds. We went back on Saturday & there was a small problem trying to get in from the Asia side. We were told that side was only for FP returns & had to go around thru Dinoland. We made the trek around but were stopped at the sight of the line. Since we were with some friends who were not AP holders, the sight of the looooooong line Saturday afternoon scared us away. Glad to here the lines looked worse than they were. Was a great ride. Looking forward to going back in June.

Shaman

TiggerRPh said:
Exactly...were you thinking you were going to just walk on?

:hammer:

I think people were expecting the crowds of past previews (I myself fall under this category)...Soarin' didn't seem to be as crowded, but I figure that's because The Land is huge! Also passholders and DVC members probably saw EE grow over their trips so they knew it was something they wanted to ride. When word came that EE was going to have previews every one made plans to come to WDW...Soarin' and M:S are attractions that are more "hidden"...EE is huge...people knew about it from day one. Personally I think the DVC, bring guest bit, also contributed to the large crowd...it may be something Disney will have to address in the future.

I remember reading that people were questioning the small size of the queue for EE...I think it's about the right size. The CMs do a great job of loading and unloading quickly...so the line keeps moving. There is very little one can say about EE that is negative.

So, I'm sure a lot of people went home happy. AK has a hit on his hands, bigger than M:S and Soarin' combined.

In other words, expect crowds when it opens. :lol:

eckerdguy

I know I really don't post much but it is very irritating to me to hear people talk about seasonal passholders like we are outcasts. Im sorry that I don't want to pay 100 dollars more just so I can go to the parks during there busiests times of the year. I can survive without going during peak times. I don't see me being any different than an annual passholder I just have restrictions. Why do people continue to try to make such a big deal out of little things.

Like someone said it has been one of the most anticipated rides in a long while for disney. It was going to be busy. I went on Friday and it wasn't to bad at all. You can't sit there and expect that it wasn't going to be busy on weekend days. Just the way it is, think of it as a nice hot summer day when you wait in line for 2 hours to ride peter pan but it is worth the wait in the end because you enjoy yourself.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
eckerdguy said:
I know I really don't post much but it is very irritating to me to hear people talk about seasonal passholders like we are outcasts.
Fortunately Disney doesn't do this. I to am a Seasonal pass holder for the same reasons you mentioned and I for one am glad the Disney doesn't discriminate between different levels of annual passes.

SpongeScott

objr said:
I think people were expecting the crowds of past previews (I myself fall under this category)...Soarin' didn't seem to be as crowded, but I figure that's because The Land is huge! Also passholders and DVC members probably saw EE grow over their trips so they knew it was something they wanted to ride. When word came that EE was going to have previews every one made plans to come to WDW...Soarin' and M:S are attractions that are more "hidden"...EE is huge...people knew about it from day one. Personally I think the DVC, bring guest bit, also contributed to the large crowd...it may be something Disney will have to address in the future.

I remember reading that people were questioning the small size of the queue for EE...I think it's about the right size. The CMs do a great job of loading and unloading quickly...so the line keeps moving. There is very little one can say about EE that is negative.

So, I'm sure a lot of people went home happy. AK has a hit on his hands, bigger than M:S and Soarin' combined.

In other words, expect crowds when it opens. :lol:
couldn't have said this entire post better myself, Oz.:wave:

GaryT977

I went on Sunday. I tried to go with some friends on Saturday, but when I found out Passholders couldn't bring anyone with them we ended up going to the Magic Kindgom instead.

I got to EE at about 1:50. The estimated wait time was 90 minutes, but the fastpass sign said I could get a fastpass and return between 4:10 and 5:10. So I waited to get a fastpass at what looked to be the only two running fastpass machines (the rest were being used to give out the free gift coupons).

When it was my turn, I was told fastpasses weren't being given out. The guy at the machine wasn't very friendly, so I headed to the stand-by entrance, which by this time was stretched all the way back to the restrooms. I asked the cm holding the 'stand-by entrance' sign what happened to the fast passes, and he explained they had all been given out by 10:30. I have no problem with that, but it would have been nice if they had shut down the fastpass return time sign or something.

The 90 minute wait turned out to be 50 minutes, which really wasn't so bad. The line moved swiftly and people seemed really excited to ride EE. What's amazing is how people just take their time strolling through this queue, especially once you get into the museum area.

Once I got to the the loading area, I heard a CM asking for single riders from the area where they had been holding people who wanted to ride up front. Evidently there had been an ad-hoc single ride line setup somewhere along the way without any signage or anything. As someone who was obviously there my myself, I was only a little annoyed, lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom