Probably a dumb question..

TOTguest1127

Original Poster
Okay, I was wondering what language they speak at the parks in Paris, Tokyo, and Hong Kong. Like are the rides in English or French, etc...?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
At DLP, CM`s speak Franch & English (& more). The rides are a mixture of both; Phantom Manors Stretch room is in French, Paul Frees does an english welcome near the end, & the Leottas speak both alternately. PotC is in French, as are the Fantasyland dark rides. Live speaches (eg Moteurs Action) take the form of 2 hosts who in a way repeat what the other one said in the other language - but it works very well. HISTA has high quality stereo headsets with a selection of languages - that only drown out the in theatre dialogue, not the effects or music (very clever) & some preshows have Plasma Screen subtitles or similar. I hardly speak any French & never had a problem.

Connor002

Yes, as Martin said, they blend the languages, I believe they use mostly ENglish and Frence, but for some reason I remember German as well. As for Hong Kong, I remember reading somewhere that they will use Chinese and English.

scoobygang7144

i have always wondered this myself and i am glad to hear that the try to blend the languages together. one of my goals is to go to each international park and one thing that i am worried about is not knowing what is going on.

MKCustodial

scoobygang7144 said:
i have always wondered this myself and i am glad to hear that the try to blend the languages together. one of my goals is to go to each international park and one thing that i am worried about is not knowing what is going on.

Hey, welcome to our world! :lol: That's how most International Guests enjoy WDW, and they usually don't complain. I only had enough English to understand what was going on in PotC or the Haunted Mansion, for example, on my 4th trip to the World, in 96...

Connor002

MKCustodial said:
Hey, welcome to our world! :lol: That's how most International Guests enjoy WDW, and they usually don't complain. I only had enough English to understand what was going on in PotC or the Haunted Mansion, for example, on my 4th trip to the World, in 96...

I guess you know english now, considering that post didn't have any errors or mistakes in it.

MKCustodial

Well, I had 8 years of English classes, plus 4 years of college on English language and American and British Literature, so I hope it's enough! :lol:
Actually, some of the best memories I have from my CM time are the compliments I received on my accent everyday by at least one Guest or family of Guests. One couple even said that they knew people from immigrant families who were born and raised in the US and had more accent than I did. That made me very proud of my work.

scoobygang7144

MKCustodial said:

sorry if offended you i didn't mean it.

Tim G

MKCustodial said:
In that case you should come to Tokyo... You wouldn'd believe your ears... most of it is in japanese...
The signs/bilboards in the parks are written in Kanji and in english... :D :D :D

MKCustodial

scoobygang7144 said:
sorry if offended you i didn't mean it.

No, not offended at all! :wave: I just thought I'd point out that many people who cross WDW's gates every day don't really "understand" much of the storylines.

tomm4004

The attractions in Japan, Jungle Cruise, 20,000 Leagues and gondola ride for example, are in Japanese; as is the Castle Mystery Tour. However, before the tour a cast member will give you a sheet in English that explains what is going to happen. I didn't find the language barrier hindered my enjoyment of the parks there at all. In fact, without understanding the language I tended to use other senses to fill in the blanks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom