pro-DCA Thread

Kellylynn322

Having just been there on my Honeymoon I was suprised after reading all the anti-CA post at how much I enjoyed the park. So here goes my list (in no particular order).

1. California Screaming. I loved the whole starting from a dead stop idea. The loop was awesome and the ride was long enough to be enjoyed.

2. Boudin's Sourdough Factory. It was interesting to see how sourdough is made. Never really put that much thought into it but now I see its an ordeal. I'll stick to the store bought kind.

3. California Dreams. Nice show with a great explaination of California's history without being History Bookish.

4. Mullholland Madness. Cute ride.

5. Tough to be a bug. Ok so I have seen it in AK but there was something about it that made it better. Maybe it was Flik waiting outside at the end.

6. ABC Soap Bistro. Good Food and funny entertainment. We got thrust into a skit. We still are laughing about it.

7. King Tritons Carousel. Ok so it is a bit kiddish but the colors are beautiful and its not the same boring horses as all the rest.

8. Mission Tortillas. From our tour guide "Be nice to the little people in the windows. Wave to them, they're lonely". It made me laugh.

9. The Fountain. That fountain was awesome. I could sit and relax watching that for hours.

10. BLAST! Someone in the park told us it was worth the wait. They were wrong. It was worth much longer than we waited.

11. Lilo & Stitch! I felt like a kid but we waited in line for pictures with both of them.

12. GRAND CALIFORNIAN!!!!! Definelty the best hotel I have been at. Love the lobby where you can just sit and listen to the piano or sit on the balcony at night and listen to the music from Downtown Disney.

13. Lots of walking space. No matter where you went there was always enough space to walk. (No its not a knock on CA.) I loved the open feel of the park. It didn't seemed like they tried to cram something in every corner that they had room to.

14. The people. Everyone I seemed to encounter there was pleasant. From the castmembers to the tourists. No one was in a bad mood.

Thats enough for now!

Lost Boy

I hope you all know me well enough by now to beleive what I say.

First, DCA is a good Park.. Not a Great/fabulous/cutting edge Park, but a good, fun place to go.

Second, it's not Disneyland. Never was intended to be. Never will be. Not supposed to be. Get over it.

There is a lot to look at: Eye Candy Abounds. People watch - they are hillarious. Lots of fun things to do. A place to go when Disneyland gets to crowded for comfort. The streets are wide and there is shade and places to sit. So it has Tough to Be A Bug and Muppetts. I love these shows, and I can't afford to fly from California to Florida everytime I want to see them. But with a So. California AP I can go anytime I want, as often as I want. The Animation Exhibit is the best thing the Imagineer Division has ever done for the Anaimation Division, hands down. It puts the Florida exhibit to shame. Soarin is great. Grizzly Rapids is a great place to cool off on a hot summer day. The Roller Coaster rocks. One of the best. Fast and a loop by Mickey's head. Great. Malliboomer is great with a good view before the drop.
The Electical Parade! I am just happy its back in California, period. The could run it down Harbor Blvd and I would be happy. Not to many places to eat though, that is one draw back. Although the Buurrbank Ice Cream and the bakery, both in the Califronia Express Train just past the Entrance, are great places to get something cold or sweet and a great place to sit outside and watch the people, or see some street entertainment.
Flick Fun Fair will open soon. I will not say anything as I have not seen it. But I am tired of people whinning and complaining before it opens. Jim hill has a very interesting story on that at:

www.jimhillmedia.com/index.html

Go read it. I agree with him 100%!

For those of you who are planning a trip, go. Go with an open mind. Go and enjoy! Take your kids, if you have them. Go if you don't have kids, you will become one.

My 2 cents.:sohappy:

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by Lost Boy

Second, it's not Disneyland. Never was intended to be. Never will be. Not supposed to be.

I don't think the people (myself included) who criticize DCA are doing so because it is "not Disneyland". But the people defending it always seem to use that argument. Epcot isn't Disneyland. Nor are MGM or Animal Kingdom for that matter. But I really haven't read or heard any significant criticisms of any of those parks as a whole.

Get over it. [/QUOTE]

Hey, if there's a thread about DCA (positive or negative) asking for opinions, I'm going to express mine. I think you need to be open to the less than flattering remarks about DCA and not tell people to "get over it" just because you read something you don't like (btw, this also goes for all those who tell us to "go to another web site", etc.).

LeBellePetite

Account Suspended
Originally posted by mktiggerman

nope... nothing that even implies negativity. I want everyone who posts here to have a gallon of pixie-dust in their bloodstream before they even attempt to start.

That would be me *sprinkles pixie dust all about the place* Anyway I can't say I have been there.. but with any new experience I look forward to going and I plan on enjoying myself.. it takes little effort to smile and enjoy life.

thedream86

Sorn' over California is by far worth the price of admision, and the misson esck resturant next to the Mendovie winery has grate aumbeiance.

Disneynutcase

I just was at DCA and I'll try to be as positive as I can (and it's hard to do, dammit!)

We had a one-day park-hopper so I only saw "greatest hits" at both parks.

Top 5 things I like(d) about DCA:

5) Walk-thru exhibits like Mission Tortilla Factory, Boudin Bakery and such. Forces you to slow down a bit, and free samples make a nice little snack. Reminds me a bit of the feel of WS at Epcot.

4) Flick's Fun Fair--saw it, kids and I rode on everything. Very nicely themed--better than Dinorama at AK. Only concern (and yes this is a negative) is that all four new rides in this area are slow loaders with low ride capacity that dictate huge lines on busy days. But since DCA has not been drawing crowds, perhaps that won't be a problem for a while.

3) Soaring Over California--neat ride, but I fear it may suffer from the same eventual "burn out" that people have with Star Tours and Body Wars. In other words, once you go on it a few dozen times, it will get old. Also reeks of a ride where advanced technology 10 years down the road will make it kind of unimpressive--like ST and BW are now (and remember how cool those two rides used to be).

2) Grand Californian Hotel--had breakfast there and was blown away by how lovely the place is. If you can afford it or can get a sweet deal, this is the place to stay. Definately an attraction in itself. And talk about a primo location!

1) That there is a second Disney Park in California. So DCA kind of underwhelms at this particular time. For the last three Disney U.S. parks, Disney opened them with a skeleton operation then gradually adds to them, makes significant alterations, etc. ToT is only the beginning. There's still a 1/4 of the potential DCA land left at Harbor and Katella Blvds that can be used to really add to this park.

However, and I feel I must voice this, my main peeve at DCA is that there is absolutely no Audio-Animatronics aside from a few obligatory ones in the 3-D movie shows. I don't think Superstar Limo is coming back, so it doesn't count. But right now, Disney needs to add a signature touch in the form of a great AA dark ride or two to separate this place from Knotts, Legoland, Magic Mountain, and Universal Hollywood--right now all better bargains and more complete feeling parks.

Is DCA worth going to? Not if you have to pay full price (unless you're really dying to check it out). But if you are planning a multi-day stay at DL resort, then definately go park-hopper and check the place out. Just remember to slow down and wander inside everything because the somewhat hidden details are where DCA's magic seems to be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom