Prince Charming Regal Carrousel Closed Temporarily

jt04

It's not surprising; this is what happens when ride maintenance keeps getting cut to save money. The department simply needs more people.

Or more competent people who are not primarily motivated to get bigger rather than better.

If anything causes the parks to be sold it would be such an attitude. And if one or more parks get sold you can rest assured everything will be outsourced under individual contracts under the new ownership. And at that point evrything will magically work again.

Or at least this is the trend everywhere in this new era of change.

The Empress Lilly

I don't know how excessive the boy's jumping up and down was. Maybe he was simply enthusiatic, maybe he was maniacally banging on a horse. As a general rule of thumb, I think most objects at WDW ought to be resistant to excited children.

Even though I think the parents should've restrained their little prince out to destroy property that's not his, I still think children don't need to get hurt.

Sadly, people today are less disciplined than in 1971. We now need to be locked into moving trams indeed. :lol:

Slugger

I don't know how excessive the boy's jumping up and down was. Maybe he was simply enthusiatic, maybe he was maniacally banging on a horse. As a general rule of thumb, I think most objects at WDW ought to be resistant to excited children.

Even though I think the parents should've restrained their little prince out to destroy property that's not his, I still think children don't need to get hurt.

Sadly, people today are less disciplined than in 1971. We now need to be locked into moving trams indeed. :lol:

The horse was being used as a trampoline.

boufa

That is the myth. The idea of a backstory for everything does not date back to the original Imagineers. Marc Davis even said just the opposite of this "story is king" mantra.

Well ones man's myth is another mans truth apparently. I have heard at lest 2 different interviews with imagineers (not bus drivers) describing the creation process. 1 of them was describing the conversion of the shops in liberty square to the christmas stores. He described the reasoning behind many of the details and how they fit the story. (I don't remember the story enough to quote it). It makes sense, the way that detail avoids becoming random and cluttered is to have it all fit a coherent story.

I would not be surprised to here that this was not always the case, or sometimes is not the case, but quite often in the modern Disney imagineering process it starts with a story.

I will reference back to my initial reference, the Disneyshawn blog. He is a former writer for disney imagineering. His descriptions of the story to Dinoland is almost enough to make it semi-tolerable. http://disneyshawn.blogspot.com/search/label/Dinoland%20USA

imagineer boy

For crying out loud, if a kid was jumping up and down on a horse and got hurt then that's his fault. Disney doesn't need to close and inspect the ride because of it.

Slugger

For crying out loud, if a kid was jumping up and down on a horse and got hurt then that's his fault. Disney doesn't need to close and inspect the ride because of it.

Disney has to make sure that the horses are in proper working condition so something like this doesn't happen again. It's all about safety.

hazelrah

Disney is ALL story. It is said everything in the parks, down to the bathrooms have a story. I have heard 2 imaineers say that they write the story before any thing else gets done.

This is the way it should work, the way we want it to work, and the way it usually works.

But it is undeniable that this process has nothing to do with Prince Charming (non-possessive) Regal Carousel.

The Carousel is the exact same ride it was before, save for a sign change. Not a single detail was added in support of this new backstory. The backstory was invented to match the existing ride, not the other way around.

Therefore, it is meaningless.

Backstory that does not inform the ride even in a subtle way is no more valid than us making up a story about it on a fan site. It's merely Disney PR, designed to promote this myth that at Disney "everything has a story."

Most things do. Just not EVERYTHING.

ayefour corp.

regardless of fault, Disney will close any ride major accidents occur on for insurance reasons, and so the State of Florida can come in with the safe to operate ok again.

Common procedure

TheBeatles

Original Poster
disney is doing exactly what they would do with any incident like this.

besides, who knows what was found after they investigated the horse.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Just ... no.

/physics

well [ physics ] does say F = m x a [ / physics] and that acceleration term of the equation is quite significant.. hence why we KICK things to break them or move them. Kicking something is far more effective then sitting on it.. and that's what in effect a kid is doing when jumping... especially if you consider your 200lb equivalent is sitting.. so most of the force would be supported by the horse itself.. vs the kid who may be putting all their force on the foot holds. Impact force is more complex then just force applied (as it involves displacement) but the point is.. moving weight is a lot more damaging then stationary weight.. and a factor of 4 isn't much at all.

Sure they do - the ride has specifications of what the different elements are intended to accommodate. If it can't accommodate a kid jumping up and down.. it's not going to accommodate lots of other conditions.. like an adult climbing into the strap, or larger kids, or other normal conditions.

It was likely just an isolated incident - but Disney needs to ensure that and make sure their practices can catch and prevent such situations from happening in the future.

A kid hopping up and down on a carousal should be well within the ride's design criteria.

Cosmic Commando

Just ... no.

/physics

well [ physics ] does say F = m x a [ / physics] and that acceleration term of the equation is quite significant.. hence why we KICK things to break them or move them. Kicking something is far more effective then sitting on it.. and that's what in effect a kid is doing when jumping... especially if you consider your 200lb equivalent is sitting.. so most of the force would be supported by the horse itself.. vs the kid who may be putting all their force on the foot holds. Impact force is more complex then just force applied (as it involves displacement) but the point is.. moving weight is a lot more damaging then stationary weight.. and a factor of 4 isn't much at all.

Sure they do - the ride has specifications of what the different elements are intended to accommodate. If it can't accommodate a kid jumping up and down.. it's not going to accommodate lots of other conditions.. like an adult climbing into the strap, or larger kids, or other normal conditions.

It was likely just an isolated incident - but Disney needs to ensure that and make sure their practices can catch and prevent such situations from happening in the future.

A kid hopping up and down on a carousal should be well within the ride's design criteria.

Yes, but your butt has velocity when you sit down, so the force applied to the horse when you sit is greater than just your mass.

My point really was that almost no matter what a little kid was doing to this horse, it likely would have broken eventually.

boufa

You only have 1 change to capture evidence, and establish exact conditions, for possible future litigation. Therefore in addition to all the other reasons listed here, they have to have everything documented so that they can defend themselves from the inevitable litigation.

Monorail_Orange

I have to say, I think this might be an example of a failure caused by abuse rather than improper maintenance. However, if it is a lack of maintenance, maybe somebody in Burbank will wake up enough to see the current TDO maintenance strategy isn't working, and inspire them the way they were inspired with Star Tours and FLE.

lazyboy97o

I would not be surprised to here that this was not always the case, or sometimes is not the case, but quite often in the modern Disney imagineering process it starts with a story.
It is the case and modern Imagineering does not define all of Disney and its park experiences, especially when the examples of acting otherwise date to Walt Disney. The [over] emphasis on backstory only really dates to the mid-to-late 1980s.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom