Prince Charming Carousel Lawsuit

PhotoDave219

Chicago has legal recourse for individuals that have damages to their vehicles because of potholes. It is painfully slow but eventually they pay.

These type of attorneys are also discriminating too about which cases they will move forward to court. They will not waste their time if they know the odds are they will loose and receive nothing themselves.

'

I don't believe that is correct. My cousin cracked his spine in pool accident. He recovered. Several years later he was in a rear end car accident and the neck re-cracked leaving him paralized for the rest of his life neck down.
He won the court case even though there was a pre-existing condition. The big IF here to me in this case is if indeed Disney changed from a slip resistant pad to a non slip resistant pad, lessening the safety measures they once had in place there by removing added precautions. This is not as simple as slipping on a wet sidewalk.
Disney even initially denied responsibility in the Monorail accident correct? So it isn't an unusual procedure for Disney to spout safety standards initially or any other defendant, I would not expect Disney to say ooops our bad.

I just know what's in the complaint.

note2001

Is an accusation a fact? Are subjective reviews and accounts of events facts? The media does this every day with a knee jerk response to something that happened, but as the facts do start to come out, the story loses ground because it is harder to tell the 'poor me' side of the story.

Same thing here. If Disney is found at fault after court, then maybe it is worthy of reporting.

I am not talking about restricting free speech, but I am suggesting that this style of reporting is the same as shouting fire in a crowded movie theater.

Ok, I see what you're saying. There is no doubt in my mind the media stirs up trouble in this country and something needs to be done to restrain them without overstepping rights.

But if reporters were only allowed to report facts as defined as such, there would be limited news. Reports on shootings would become "Something happened down that way to bring out the police" and hit and hit and runs would be: "A person lying in the road was confirmed injured/dead after they arrived at the hospital. More details to follow the court hearings."

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Chicago has legal recourse for individuals that have damages to their vehicles because of potholes. It is painfully slow but eventually they pay.

These type of attorneys are also discriminating too about which cases they will move forward to court. They will not waste their time if they know the odds are they will loose and receive nothing themselves.

'

I don't believe that is correct. My cousin cracked his spine in pool accident. He recovered. Several years later he was in a rear end car accident and the neck re-cracked leaving him paralized for the rest of his life neck down.
He won the court case even though there was a pre-existing condition. The big IF here to me in this case is if indeed Disney changed from a slip resistant pad to a non slip resistant pad, lessening the safety measures they once had in place there by removing added precautions. This is not as simple as slipping on a wet sidewalk.
Disney even initially denied responsibility in the Monorail accident correct? So it isn't an unusual procedure for Disney to spout safety standards initially or any other defendant, I would not expect Disney to say ooops our bad.

You are making the assumption that the 'non-slip' is SAFER in many cases it is NOT and Disney probably changed at the recommendation of their insurance carrier who have LEGIONS of people analyzing accidents and coming up with recommendations to prevent accidents because to an Insurance carrier the best accident is the one that never happened,

It's why Farmers is doing their ads and bringing risk management tools to the home market where they were only available to big business before.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I just know what's in the complaint.

That is my point. Pre-existing does not release liability automatically. Yes a previous injury but I'm hard pressed to arrive at the conclusion that this is a typical slip and fall. As tame is the attraction is while in movement, the boarding procedure for the horse requires more movements by a guest than the vast majority of attractions in Disney Parks. The balancing on one foot while required throw the other leg should suggest that the stabilizing pad where the foot is placed should not be slick, it should be a non slick surface as the Cinderella carousel once was before becoming the Prince. I am interested to hear evidence by Disney why the smooth surface was a safer implementation than the bigger non slip surface the faux stirrups had previously.

This if I recall correctly this is not the first slip injury after dismounting the attraction and after becoming Prince Charming timeframe, resulted in a broken hip of an adult. If I was this attorney I'd be arguing that the attraction was safer for guests in the Cinderella version of mounting and dismounting the attraction.

NelsonRD

Ok, I see what you're saying. There is no doubt in my mind the media stirs up trouble in this country and something needs to be done to restrain them without overstepping rights.

But if reporters were only allowed to report facts as defined as such, there would be limited news. Reports on shootings would become "Something happened down that way to bring out the police" and hit and hit and runs would be: "A person lying in the road was confirmed injured/dead after they arrived at the hospital. More details to follow the court hearings."

Understood - and I guess since filing the lawsuit against Disney did happen, that alone is a fact.

I guess this Holiday season, while most wish for world peace, I will be wishing for unbiased reporting.

Gabe1

You are making the assumption that the 'non-slip' is SAFER in many cases it is NOT and Disney probably changed at the recommendation of their insurance carrier who have LEGIONS of people analyzing accidents and coming up with recommendations to prevent accidents because to an Insurance carrier the best accident is the one that never happened,

It's why Farmers is doing their ads and bringing risk management tools to the home market where they were only available to big business before.

You still have not answered my questions about your claim about non slip surfaces causing dragging guests. Why not finish off your theory on dragging a guest before you take on the world of underwriting theme park policies? This is a topic that is difficult to bluff ones way through as an expert.

I have had my Risk management property casualty licence since 1987. No Firm underwrites a requirement for slippery footing into coverage for any theme or amusement park. If you claim I am wrong please sight your sources for this topic of theme park attractions. That is as ridiculous as underwriting a diving board to have a slippery surface or buses to have slippery step and isle surfaces.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I haven't ridden in a couple of years, but weren't there seat belts? If so, how could a properly belted rider fall off....

note2001

I haven't ridden in a couple of years, but weren't there seat belts? If so, how could a properly belted rider fall off....

I believe the claim states she was dismounting and slipped. Or did I interpret that?

Edit: I interpreted that, probably because the belt was not on. There is nothing in this that states what she was doing. I think these are the details that folk were looking for.

Goofyernmost

This allegedly happened while the person was dismounting the ride. Under any circumstance a belt would not be fastened at that time. So they really have belts on the carousel? I am totally bewildered with today's population. Something as docile as a Merry-go-round needs safety belts? :confused:o_O:arghh:

Goofyernmost

I believe the claim states she was dismounting and slipped. Or did I interpret that?

Edit: I interpreted that, probably because the belt was not on. There is nothing in this that states what she was doing. I think these are the details that folk were looking for.
That's the impression that I got as well. I guess we will just have to see how it turns out.

LAKid53

Premium Member

Edit: I interpreted that, probably because the belt was not on. There is nothing in this that states what she was doing. I think these are the details that PhotoDave was looking for.

True. And the type of shoe she was wearing was? I notice lots of folks wear flip flops at Disney, not always the best choice of shoe for some of the rides. And did she wait until the ride had completely stopped before dismounting? The details provided in the linked article are minimal.

When were the new stirrups installed? Like I said, I've not ridden in a couple of years, but I don't remember any issue with the stirrups - just that the ride is not that comfortable for a pudgy middle age adult.

If these stirrups were truly a hazard, I'm sure we would have heard about the problem before this. Why do I think this lawsuit might be a pile on from the DAS lawsuit.

I've tripped and stumbled many times at Disney, all due to my inherent clumsiness and not paying attention. Perhaps I should have sued?

LAKid53

Premium Member
This allegedly happened while the person was dismounting the ride. Under any circumstance a belt would not be fastened at that time. So they really have belts on the carousel? I am totally bewildered with today's population. Something as docile as a Merry-go-round needs safety belts? :confused:o_O:arghh:

To primarily prevent children from falling...and lawsuits.... However, this is not a Space Mountain carousel.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Funny, that's what I thought parents were for. Silly me.

One would think, but having observed that species at the parks.....

Still amazed me that the obnoxious woman behind me in line at Casey's with one of those HUGE strollers - what was she thinking - pushed her stroller over to the table with the condiments and left it there. With her infant daughter still in. And no one watching because she cut in front of the rest of us in line waiting to get our orders. And this was between 6-7pm during one of the nights of the Christmas party. So it was a tad busy and crowded at Casey's and the park in general. Yes, some parents....

dstrawn9889

One would think, but having observed that species at the parks.....

Still amazed me that the obnoxious woman behind me in line at Casey's with one of those HUGE strollers - what was she thinking - pushed her stroller over to the table with the condiments and left it there. With her infant daughter still in. And no one watching because she cut in front of the rest of us in line waiting to get our orders. And this was between 6-7pm during one of the nights of the Christmas party. So it was a tad busy and crowded at Casey's and the park in general. Yes, some parents....
she left the child in front of the ketchup? LOLZ, there really is no room in that queue to begin with, much too small for any wheelchair or stroller...

Gabe1

It's easy -

Sole Of shoe at angle upper catches on top of stirrup, Sole is held in by friction material bingo foot locked in and you can't break it free without outside assistance and if ride starts you WILL be dragged.

It's WHY stirrups on real saddles are smooth so the riders boot can slip out if rider falls, English tack frequently has a embossed smooth diamond shape to shed mud but the points of the diamond are rounded so the boot does not catch on stirrup.
Stirrups-Western-Oversized-Wide-Tread.gif

Some stirrups DO have friction materials but these are generally intended for barrel racing and roping where there is assistance immediately available and holding the rider's position outweighs the risk of a fall and drag event.
258510.jpg

On the side view you can see the diamonds used for removing mud from boots
so you are discussing a real stirrup for a real horse vs topic of a pretend stirrup that isn't even shaped anywhere near what you are posting. The carousel stirrup does not enclose one foot and the horse does not leave the deck like it does in Mary Poppins.

I spoke to the material inside my horses stirrups being similar to the original Cinderella faux stirrups. The notion that a flat step on with a non slip surface on a carousel would cause a guest to be dragged by a faux horse is commical. It is the Prince Charming carousel not Mary Poppins nor is the topic real stirrups for live horses though in my 40 years of riding your scenero is far fetched also.

Back to topic at hand.

MarFV

The belts are for children only.

LAKid53

Premium Member
she left the child in front of the ketchup? LOLZ, there really is no room in that queue to begin with, much too small for any wheelchair or stroller...

Yes, she did. And I watched someone move it out of their way. Anyone could have walked out with her stroller and daughter and she wouldn't have noticed until it was too late.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yes, I know... still think it is a little bit of overkill for a carousel. But, I guess I shouldn't expect that parents would take care of their children to make sure that no harm comes to them. Old time thinking, I guess.

And this lawsuit speaks volumes why there are now seat belts on carousels....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom