Prince Charming Carousel Lawsuit

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Is it just me, or does everyone seem to be mis-reading this, and thinking it's a lawsuit about a child slipping and falling?

A Jacksonville area woman has sued Disney Parks and Resorts, saying she has a permanent disability after she fell from a carousel horse at Walt Disney World in September 2013.

Kathy Hayden alleges in the lawsuit that Disney was negligent.

According to the lawsuit, “Disney changed the design of the stirrup that had been in use on the Carousel for many years, in favor of another model, which provided less tread traction, without anti-slip resistant features and therefore was slippery and dangerous to patrons.”

The suit, filed in Orange County Circuit Court, also alleges that Disney “failed to warn its invitees … of the dangerous condition.”
Yeah the original poster posted two different stories and people are combining them.

DisDan

When I was at MK in sept I was riding Alladin's Magic Carpet ride with my 5 yo DD and the ride suddenly stopped mid ride because 2 heavy women behind us decided to open an umbrella while the ride was moving because it started to sprinkle ever so slightly.. They made everyone evacuate the ride while they started it and ran it for another minute then let us back on. CM told me it was procedure they have to follow every time they shut down the ride because of inappropriate behavior on a ride.

I have to assume the same procedure would be followed on all rides.

Goofyernmost

When I was at MK in sept I was riding Alladin's Magic Carpet ride with my 5 yo DD and the ride suddenly stopped mid ride because 2 heavy women behind us decided to open an umbrella while the ride was moving because it started to sprinkle ever so slightly.. They made everyone evacuate the ride while they started it and ran it for another minute then let us back on. CM told me it was procedure they have to follow every time they shut down the ride because of inappropriate behavior on a ride.

I know it has nothing to do with the story or has any bearing on what happened, but, what is the reason for defining them as "heavy women"? Is it possible that if they hadn't been "heavy" it wouldn't have happened? It has absolutely no reason for being mentioned at all.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Yeah, that seems standard procedure for ride stops.
I never worked for Disney but I did ride operate at Six Flags GA. If an e-stop happened, we had to evac the ride and cycle the trains through the "safety check/morning run" cycle. Making sure the system fully comes back online and all parts are functioning after an e-stop.
However, some rides were built so that removing your hands from the controls would automatically stop the ride but the ride was also equipped with an actual "e-stop" button.

We definitely got in trouble for E-stops though... we used to get lectured on how "e-stops cost time, money, and delay guest enjoyment." :rolleyes: (Yup, forget guest safety, time & money are much more important, can you tell I hated working there :hilarious:)
We were always told that if we check the ride before the train leaves the station then there should be no reason for e-stops unless a mechanical error presented a danger (like the track became damaged or train derailed, etc.)
Plus, restarting a ride after an "e-stop" at Six Flags GA, required a supervisor key.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This is why we have ridiculous warning signs and can't have nice things.

I feel bad if the woman actually is permanently disabled... but if one person out of how many million fail to negotiate climbing off the horse... is it really defective or was there simply an accident?

It's not how the law works per say - but common sense used to be relevant in our society.

CAPTAIN HOOK

I don't think this has to do with the safety aspects of the ride, sure it is a major part of any suit. You also have to look at how easy it is to extract money from a major company where the opportunities to fake such injuries are around every corner.

The woman mentioned in the OPs post would appear to have a serious injury and there may be elements of truth in her claim. Others are jumping on the bandwagon sensing huge bucks for a trip or a slip or a missing sign, where common sense should prevail.

I'm going to come back from WDW next August a multi-millionaire

PhotoDave219

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...y-on-disney-world-carousel-20141205-post.html

The plaintiff is a woman who fell off of the carousel and suffered a head injury resulting in permanent brain damage. It's an unfortunate incident, but Disney claims the lawsuit is without merit.

A few years back, the Prince Charming Carousel closed -- stemming from a rumored incident that involved a little boy who was playing giddy up on the horse and fell off. I found a thread here about it. http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/prince-charming-regal-carrousel-closed-temporarily.776563/

According to the lawsuit, “Disney changed the design of the stirrup that had been in use on the Carousel for many years, in favor of another model, which provided less tread traction, without anti-slip resistant features and therefore was slippery and dangerous to patrons.”

750x422

In part, this may explain why Disney is eager to build entirely brand new parks in new emerging global markets and hesitant to invest here at home in the proper expansion of WDW -- where every new ride is a huge liability. With that said, I do believe companies should be held accountable for making safe attractions.

I'm not judging or blaming the plaintiff, it could be true. But, it's so easy to overlook the massive liability issues that WDW and others encounter on a daily basis. If the woman wins this lawsuit, the carousel's days could be numbered. Frankly, the ride is not worth keeping if people continue to fall off the horses.

I don't recall the head injury when I read the complaint.

DisDan

I know it has nothing to do with the story or has any bearing on what happened, but, what is the reason for defining them as "heavy women"? Is it possible that if they hadn't been "heavy" it wouldn't have happened? It has absolutely no reason for being mentioned at all.

You're right, I was just a bit peeved at the situation and the women gave the CM attitude during the whole process. I guess that is the only defining trait I Remember about those women. But it did not need to be mentioned, you're right.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Exactly. While I have not done a detailed analysis, I will wager that the carousel at WDW is considerably safer and better maintained that the one I see every year at the local fair.
It's a million times better kept (and safer) than the one on the National Mall in DC.

And that one is quite literally just off the doorstep of the White House and the Capital. :p

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Not mention he almost clipped that wire with his stupid drone.
I'm sure if he had, he would have sued either the film producing company (assuming he hired somebody), the city government or the electric company (or all three) because there were not adequate signs and warnings informing him what could happen if a drone impacted the cable.

;)

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Here's the commercial for their lawyer.

He focuses on Cruise line injuries.

There a few that do that. One of them has many blogs (gag) about why cruise ships are unsafe and anyone who goes on them are crazy; but you want to repent for your bad choices and be compensated for a stubbed toe to call him.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member

My question is whether the sprinkles turned into a rainstorm. Were their actions to plan ahead justified as more rain potentially fell?

Siren

Original Poster
I have not read the lawsuit, but from what I'm gathering, a family is suing Disney because their child was jumping up and down on a horse that bobs up and down on an attraction that spins, and then fell of and became injured? To me it's called physics, and why were the parents letting him endanger himself? Regardless of how slip resistant the treads were, the kid should have been sitting still.
No. And, I apologize for the confusion -- the story is about recent lawsuit filed by a woman who fell as she was dismounting from the horse and hit her head, resulting in permanent brain damage. Her attorney blames the fall on the grips that were changed.

I added the story about a little boy who fell off of a horse 3 or 4 years ago forcing the carousel to close. It was believed that Disney closed the carousel to make changes -- possibly to the stirrups. There was no lawsuit concerning the little boy. But, I was just trying to tie it all together because the plaintiff claims the new stirrups caused her to fall.

I'll just go back and remove that part because it's confusing to everyone, lol.
I don't recall the head injury when I read the complaint.
Here it is -

"Hayden’s attorney, Spencer Aronfeld in Miami, said Hayden had been going to the park for 10 years. He said Hayden hit her head on the ground and suffered brain damage."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom