News Primeval Whirl, Stitch's Great Escape and Rivers of Light permanently closed

ppete1975

I just wish they wouldnt have closed it. Even if it wasnt a great ride, it gave people things to do, same thing as stitch. I understand maint, and crew to staff it, but why close anything till we have something to replace it with. Im ok with closing, and demo but it would be great if they announced something new.

ppete1975

i kinda like they havent announced anything makes me think they have a cool surprise coming....but im more optimistic than most on this site when it comes to Disney parks it seems ha.
I would be too, if recent history wasnt 3-5 years to build anything. So even if they announced it would be prob 2026 before we saw it completed. Id love to have them build something and be like surprise we built this without anyone knowing, but i cant see that ever happening esp, outside. Now stitch they could do that, but im sure it would be spoiled way ahead either by contracts, permits or insiders. And of course disney likes the PR of new stuff coming, which why i am stunned we havent heard anything new in a long time. Maybe next month....

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
i wish theyd do the same with goofys sky school and replace it with something better
Although obviously similar coasters, comparing prime evil hurl to Goofy's sky school is not fair to Goofy and his coaster. :D

If I am being honest, I actually had fun on it and considering that it's just tucked away in small corner of DCA, it isn't really a bad use of that space all things consider.

Where as, if they just keep demolishing all of Dinoland...they'll have space for a nice replacement...anything really. Although "Anything really" is probably what got us Dinoland in the first place.

JeffH

After reviewing some of the responses I have to agree about River of Life on several points...1st was that it took me about 3 viewings to fall in love with RoL, 1st 2 times were Meh (could have been my vantage point?), so RoL became 1 of the main reasons for going to Animal Kingdom that and Burudika and after they canceled both I've stopped going.
2) I also felt it was a VERY low-cost show that beautifully typified the theme of the park (especially after they cut the 2 characters)
3) RoL FINALLY gave the park nighttime life, before it was a ghost town and closed early and after the crowds remained solid.
4) RoL gave park hoppers a reason to hop to Animal Kingdom and enjoy the food at Yak&Yeti (Rainforest Cafe stupidly closed early)
5) Finally, it was the show Animal Kingdom needed to round out its day
So now after Disney FINALLY managed to make Animal Kingdom a full day park with Pandora opening, its new entertainment and food options (Y&Y), and a marvelous night show, they go and close Nemo, (the crappy) Primeval Whirl, kill the entertainment, still no parade, now no FastPass and like magic Animal Kingdom is a half-day park again. Then on top of that, some corporate MORON eliminated the late afternoon bus to Disney Springs for guests to pad out their day (further screwing its resort guests)
Personally, I hated Primeval Whirl, but I don't believe in bashing an attraction because I don't like it when there may be many others who love it...different rides for different people, but now with its destruction I hope for better.
BRING BACK BURUDIKA AND RIVER OF LIFE and I might return to AK.

doctornick

Such a bummer. I know it was an eyesore and kind of a disaster, but every time I rode it, I laughed hysterically the whole time.

I know that the Dinorama area as a whole was/is an eyesore, but I actually thought PW was a pretty fun ride for what it was. I liked the goofiness and how it contrasted to the more serious tone of Dinosaur kinda dealing with the same theme.

nickys

Premium Member
IIRC the company that supplied replacement parts or whatever went out of business. So maybe whatever they needed they couldn’t get?

I hated the ride so it’s no loss to me it’s gone. I also get why they need to remove it even if nothing else going there is imminent. It’s one thing to fence off an area near a resort like River Country was and do nothing with it for years. No one should be there. It’s another to do it in a theme park where there’s a lot of foot traffic walking by a structure that can fall into disrepair over time.
The company did not go out of business, there are identical rides elsewhere and parts are available online. As far as I can see, the company filed for bankruptcy in France but didn’t go under.

This is what I mean, already 2 people have given 2 different answers. So the reality iis we don’t know exactly why they decided to close it. The timing of when the ride closed suggests the accident in the U.K. had a bearing on things. But the decision to permanently close it could well have had several factors, including safety, maintenance, cost, or other plans.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

I think there were safety concerns....

The company did not go out of business, there are identical rides elsewhere and parts are available online. As far as I can see, the company filed for bankruptcy in France but didn’t go under.

This is what I mean, already 2 people have given 2 different answers. So the reality iis we don’t know exactly why they decided to close it. The timing of when the ride closed suggests the accident in the U.K. had a bearing on things. But the decision to permanently close it could well have had several factors, including safety, maintenance, cost, or other plans.

I would think it's because of the below.

Two CMs have died working the ride, one in 2007 and the other in 2011. There have also been at least two riders seriously injured on copies of this ride in other parks.

nickys

Premium Member
I would think it's because of the below.
A combination of factors seems likely.

The ride was closed very suddenly days after the wee boy fell out of the ride in the U.K. That was clearly the reason for the sudden shut-down.

That was 8 years after the second CM’s death, so whilst it may have been a factor I don’t see it being the clincher.

More likely the ever increasing maintenance with escalating costs, regular operational issues, plus fear of a similar incident to the latest U.K. one happening and the cost of fitting better restraints all led to a final hammer blow.

I hated the ride anyway. I was convinced I was going to fall out the only time I rode it.

lazyboy97o

A combination of factors seems likely.

The ride was closed very suddenly days after the wee boy fell out of the ride in the U.K. That was clearly the reason for the sudden shut-down.

That was 8 years after the second CM’s death, so whilst it may have been a factor I don’t see it being the clincher.

More likely the ever increasing maintenance with escalating costs, regular operational issues, plus fear of a similar incident to the latest U.K. one happening and the cost of fitting better restraints all led to a final hammer blow.

I hated the ride anyway. I was convinced I was going to fall out the only time I rode it.
The ride briefly reopened before the parks closed, so any fear of an incident had somewhat been overcome.

John park hopper

Primevil whirl wasn't working in 2019 my granddaughters waited an hour to get on it and then it shut down. Here it is 2021, 50th anniversary and Disney had now plans to replace in time ---shame on you Disney.

Touchdown

The only time I saw PW running in 2019/2020 was afternoons before DAH when it was brought online to increase the amount of rides open for DAH.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom