News Primeval Whirl at Disney's Animal Kingdom experiencing extended downtime

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Yeah. I think people are quick to shoot down an off-the-shelf kit coaster, but with enough theming It's not like Disney couldn't make it a quality attraction. This coaster in particular gets a bad wrap because it "looks" like carnival trash. With greater theming it'd be a bonafide hit! Especially in Adventureland...
It also sounds like carnival trash. It’s a very noisy coaster, and the whistles and cuckoo sounds are so disruptive to the area.

It’s closure during one of our trips a few years ago totally improved the ambiance of the entire area.

Epcot_Imagineer

My question is why is this ride down for extended maintenance, but there is no sign of actual maintenance work being done? Unless it's all being done in the third shift, or the Jim Hill rumor about waiting for custom parts is true (which I'm pretty sure was disproven a page or two back), then I'd venture to say maintenance isn't really the only problem with this ride.

GlacierGlacier

My question is why is this ride down for extended maintenance, but there is no sign of actual maintenance work being done? Unless it's all being done in the third shift, or the Jim Hill rumor about waiting for custom parts is true (which I'm pretty sure was disproven a page or two back), then I'd venture to say maintenance isn't really the only problem with this ride.
Something that could be done without visible maintenance is ride vehicle rebuilds. If they're attempting to improve restraints to prevent individuals from falling out, all ride vehicles would have to be taken to Central Shops and rebuilt. They've done it before for other attractions, but it's typically during regularly scheduled refurbishments.

nickys

Premium Member
Something that could be done without visible maintenance is ride vehicle rebuilds. If they're attempting to improve restraints to prevent individuals from falling out, all ride vehicles would have to be taken to Central Shops and rebuilt. They've done it before for other attractions, but it's typically during regularly scheduled refurbishments.

If this was the same ride system as the one in the recent U.K. incident, then that could be what’s happening.

There hasn’t been much said about exactly how it happened, but I imagine the investigation is being pretty thorough. It was the second incident on the same ride, as the first one was fatal. Extremely lucky the latest one wasn’t.

Cmdr_Crimson

Maybe Disney can send this one to Six Flags Great America in Chicago then?
Sorry...But, a Joker took over that spot....
joker_wide_shot.png

WDWTank

WOw you people can not stand anyone having an opinion of something different than yours.
There are some users on this forum who are VERY conservative about Disney, even if it means getting rid of the HG Wells theming in Tomorrowland in order to look like 1970’s-1980’s Tomorrowland. Some also have a bias, me included. I respect your opinion and can relate a little bit. :)

Amidala

Any chance this will just stay closed indefinitely and slowly fade out of existence? It would hardly be the first time. Even if it did close, we haven't heard any rumblings about a Dino-Rama replacement in the very near future, have we? Not sure if keeping Dino-Rama minus one ride is really an improvement...

GCTales

Sorry...But, a Joker took over that spot....
joker_wide_shot.png
That picture shows the biggest difference between Disney and places like six flags...

Amusement park. Little to no theming in park.
Almost no theming around ride.. Just a concrete pad with queue rails.

Disney...
Area around ride is themed
Ride Qeue is themed (as much as I hate it, Primevil hurl is themed better than this)

rle4lunch

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that entire section of the park should be razed and something, you know, Animal Kingdom-ish put in its place. It's something for the kiddos, so there's some redeeming quality.

I agree. Leave the dino theme for the most part, keep the boneyard play area and actually level the concrete parking lot they put in there for 'aesthetic'. Refurb/redo Dinosaur and put one big ol ride in the middle of the land where PW and TS are now. And build a cool multimillion dollar dino themed bathroom for good measure (of course).

matt9112

I agree. Leave the dino theme for the most part, keep the boneyard play area and actually level the concrete parking lot they put in there for 'aesthetic'. Refurb/redo Dinosaur and put one big ol ride in the middle of the land where PW and TS are now. And build a cool multimillion dollar dino themed bathroom for good measure (of course).

tbh i wish the more serious tone of the dino institute was carried into the rest of land. its so ominous granted i also want CTX bsck.
you can even keep a flat ride in there somewhere just make it less bright. could do a smallish coaster and theme it much better like IJ in DL. the dino theme lends itself great to hiding supports unto scaffolding and ruins. que could be like the mummy at universal. but you know dinosaurs.

Cmdr_Crimson

That picture shows the biggest difference between Disney and places like six flags...

Amusement park. Little to no theming in park.
Almost no theming around ride.. Just a concrete pad with queue rails.

Disney...
Area around ride is themed
Ride Qeue is themed (as much as I hate it, Primevil hurl is themed better than this)
During the 70's-early 90's Great America had better theming and service when it was owned by Marriott, Bally, and Time Warner...After it was sold off to Premier in 99 is when they started to not care, then sold to Red Zone which had no clue what they were doing including the small point in time where they started to sell Disney third party Merchandise in the parks. After that It's been in this odd limbo to "GO BIG" whatever that means...

It's apples to oranges on how you represent a park a good example is comparing it to Cedar Fair to Six Flags..

Six Flags are so friggin quick you can't tell what they are trying to get you to experience.

Cedar Point's new ads lately are done much better..If they had the right people and know how. I'm sure Six Flags could have gone a better direction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom