Prime & Fixed ?

Elfinko

Original Poster
I bought a 35mm f/1.8 Prime lens with my Sony A6000 which I love. I'm looking for something in the 50mm variety and f/1.8 now.

I thought a lense was 'prime' if it was a fixed focal length, but I see the 50mm I'm looking at isn't called a Prime lense, but it's not a zoom lense either. Am I overthinking this? Kinda new at photography. The main reason I question it is because my 35mm prime lense was substantially more expensive than the 50mm I'm looking at now. I'm not sure why a 35mm would cost $150 more than a 50mm. Same aperture f/1.8

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-SEL50F1...&qid=1521587488&sr=1-3&keywords=50mm+1.8+sony

Last edited:

drizgirl

And here I thought this was a thread about home mortgages! ;)

I think the terms are pretty much interchangeable. One lens might have a better build. Are they both from the same manufacturer?

Elfinko

Original Poster
And here I thought this was a thread about home mortgages! ;)

Haha..good connection. Didn't cross my mind :D

Yeah, both Sony lenses. Thanks for the quick reply! I Googled the 50mm and some sites do refer to it as a Prime lens. Amazon is just throwing me off I think.

As for price:
SEL35F18 - ~$400
SEL50F18 - ~$250

I'm guessing it's one of those deals where smaller requires tighter and more expensive manufacturing.

Last edited:

thomas998

Haha..good connection. Didn't cross my mind :D

Yeah, both Sony lenses. Thanks for the quick reply! I Googled the 50mm and some sites do refer to it as a Prime lens. Amazon is just throwing me off I think.

As for price:
SEL35F18 - ~$400
SEL50F18 - ~$250

I'm guessing it's one of those deals where smaller requires tighter and more expensive manufacturing.
They are both primes. A prime is a lens that doesn't zoom. You could have a 300mm or a 10mm and if they don't zoom they are technically primes. You are getting the 50mm 1.8 cheaper because that isn't considered to be a particularly fast lens it is pretty much the standard lens you would expect a camera to come with if it came with so it gets priced accordingly, a commodity lens so to speak.

One word of caution, make sure you keep your warranty and receipt for your lenses. Of all the autofocus lenses I've had from several different manufacturers the Sonys have been the only ones that died on me. Just lost my Sony 16mm 2.8 about 6 months ago though about a year out of warranty so it is nothing but a paperweight now.

fractal

I bought a 35mm f/1.8 Prime lens with my Sony A6000 which I love. I'm looking for something in the 50mm variety and f/1.8 now.

I thought a lense was 'prime' if it was a fixed focal length, but I see the 50mm I'm looking at isn't called a Prime lense, but it's not a zoom lense either. Am I overthinking this? Kinda new at photography. The main reason I question it is because my 35mm prime lense was substantially more expensive than the 50mm I'm looking at now. I'm not sure why a 35mm would cost $150 more than a 50mm. Same aperture f/1.8

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-SEL50F1...&qid=1521587488&sr=1-3&keywords=50mm+1.8+sony

I used to have the 35mm 1.8 SEL - very nice lens. I still have the 50mm 1.8 SEL - it's actually the first 50mm lens ever made with stabilization. Does very well as a portrait lens and was my 2nd favorite APS-C emount lens (after the 24mm 1.8 ). 50mm lenses are typically the least expensive primes. Although you could go with the Sony Zeiss FE 50mm 1.4 for around $1,400!

Elfinko

Original Poster
They are both primes. A prime is a lens that doesn't zoom. You could have a 300mm or a 10mm and if they don't zoom they are technically primes. You are getting the 50mm 1.8 cheaper because that isn't considered to be a particularly fast lens it is pretty much the standard lens you would expect a camera to come with if it came with so it gets priced accordingly, a commodity lens so to speak.

The camera came with a 55-210mm and it goes no where near f/1.8. Wish it did! Also shipped with a 17-55mm. I think it's 17-55mm at least. Haven't used that one much, but it's not f/1.8 either. My only fast lens is the 35mm that I ponied up for separately.

Elfinko

Original Poster
Although you could go with the Sony Zeiss FE 50mm 1.4 for around $1,400!

Goodness no :) Saw some assorted lenses over 12 grand. Thought that must be nice to afford :D

Looks like many of the 24mm 1.8 are around $1000. I'll stick with the beginner lenses for now, lmao.

fractal

Goodness no :) Saw some assorted lenses over 12 grand. Thought that must be nice to afford :D

Looks like many of the 24mm 1.8 are around $1000. I'll stick with the beginner lenses for now, lmao.

Sigma just came out with at 16mm 1.4 for emount. reasonably priced - I know a couple people that have it and love it. Would be great for dark rides.

You can probably pick up the Sony Zeiss 24mm 1.8 used in good condition for around $700. It is the best lens for APS-C Emount in my opinion. I sold it to move up to full frame but I still miss that lens. It gets the most out of the great Sony 24mp sensor.

thomas998

The camera came with a 55-210mm and it goes no where near f/1.8. Wish it did! Also shipped with a 17-55mm. I think it's 17-55mm at least. Haven't used that one much, but it's not f/1.8 either. My only fast lens is the 35mm that I ponied up for separately.
The 50mm 1.8 is pretty much a standard lens because way back before digital that was the typical lens that shipped with every SLR film camera I can think of. I'm not familiar with that lens in particular but I wouldn't be surprised if it was based on the Minolta 50mm lens design that Sony acquired when they were on their digital camera buying spree.

KeithVH

If you are willing to try used, go look at KEH. They are VERY reputable. And you will find prices upwards of 50% off. They are also conservative in their estimates. They're EX+ is many others Like New. And they've a good return policy too.

fractal

If you are willing to try used, go look at KEH. They are VERY reputable. And you will find prices upwards of 50% off. They are also conservative in their estimates. They're EX+ is many others Like New. And they've a good return policy too.

2nd that. I've used KEH and have been happy with them. You can get better prices on EBAY but you take on more risk. One thing about buying a good lens, if you take care of it the value will hold up especially vs. a camera body.

Elfinko

Original Poster
Thanks for the excellent leads. I just dropped $2600 on car repairs, so a new lens (over $300 at least) is off the table for a little while :eek: I'll try to pickup the 50mm f/1.8 for this month and then a used 24mm early next year.

thomas998

Thanks for the excellent leads. I just dropped $2600 on car repairs, so a new lens (over $300 at least) is off the table for a little while :eek: I'll try to pickup the 50mm f/1.8 for this month and then a used 24mm early next year.
With a A6000 the 1.8 will be good enough for most anything you are shooting outside of dark rides and then the bigger limiting factor is the noise in the camera at high ISO. If you want to save yourself some money going forward on lenses don't forget you can always get an adapter and use just about any lens you can get hold of on the a6000... only downside is no autofocus and you'll be going manual on the aperture... but Sony has decent focus highlighting on that camera so it isn't difficult to manual focus.

Elfinko

Original Poster
.. but Sony has decent focus highlighting on that camera so it isn't difficult to manual focus.

Just when I thought I half knew what I was doing, I just had to Google Focus Highlighting. Thanks for that. It wasn't even turned on! Looks like a big time saver.

Elfinko

Original Poster
If you want to save yourself some money going forward on lenses don't forget you can always get an adapter and use just about any lens you can get hold of on the a6000... only downside is no autofocus and you'll be going manual on the aperture....

And that's another great tip. I'm actually finding full manual Emount lens for incredibly cheap prices. Probably wouldn't even need an adapter for that on the A6000. I'll have to do a bit more research on brands, but 25mm f/1.8 for under $100 is what I'm seeing.

fractal

And that's another great tip. I'm actually finding full manual Emount lens for incredibly cheap prices. Probably wouldn't even need an adapter for that on the A6000. I'll have to do a bit more research on brands, but 25mm f/1.8 for under $100 is what I'm seeing.

Yes, there are a good number of new inexpensive E-mount lenses coming out of China. Not sure about the build or optical quality but it is another option.

As @thomas998 said, old "legacy" lenses are also cheap and fun to use. I have a few old Minolta Rokkor lenses, a few Olympus' and Nikons. The old lenses are not as sharp as the modern ones but can have more "character".

Elfinko

Original Poster
I received the 50mm prime lens and I'm really impressed. Images on the prime are sharp zoomed in at 100%, which is something I was struggling with on the zoom lens even using the 1:1 rule (or 1:1.5 in my case) in good light.
Ready To Pop.jpg
Entangled.jpg
Spring is Springing.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom