PRIDE: Community

Figgy1

Premium Member
Thanks for the warm welcome :)

I've actually graduated from both undergrad and graduate schools, so I'm working full time now!
Celebrate In Love GIF by HBO Max
Way To Go Good Job GIF by Justin
It seems like yesterday you were going off into the big wide world of being a freshman

tcool123

USO has a Latin Dance Street Party. And they pair off two guys and two girls with each other.

¡Escándalo!

The video is in ultra HD if anyone cares to use Windows Magnifier to see the dancers better.

Planning on seeing this show next week at the park after the hurricane rolls out of the state!

Very excited that they debuted something like this during Hispanic Heritage Month, really wish Disney something special like this. (I’m aware they have but it’s just been repackaging what they normally have as an offering )

Animaniac93-98

Just saw BROS. It is freaking amazing. Run, don’t walk to see it.

Run indeed, this may not be in theaters for long. 😐

"The biggest disappointment this weekend came from Universal’s Judd Apatow-produced Bros. The film had a lot going for it, being touted as the first major studio LGBTQ rom-com and winning over both critics (91% on Rotten Tomatoes) and audiences (A CinemaScore) alike. Unfortunately, hardly anyone showed up, with the Billy Eichner-starring film grossing just $4.8 million from 3,350 screens. This is a worse debut than the summer’s sole studio live action comedy Easter Sunday, which had a $5.4 million opening and went on to gross just $13 million. Bros could do better when it’s all said and done with good word of mouth, but it's a dismal opening not just for the $22 million film but for the comedy genre as a whole, which is beginning to look like an endangered species. 10+ years ago, this likely could have done a mid to high teens opening a la director Nicholas Stoller’s earlier films Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Get Him to the Greek, which both went on to gross $60+ million domestically. Nowadays, comedies are a much tougher sell without major stars and wall to wall special effects in the mix."

- Box Office Mojo

BuddyThomas

Run indeed, this may not be in theaters for long. 😐

"The biggest disappointment this weekend came from Universal’s Judd Apatow-produced Bros. The film had a lot going for it, being touted as the first major studio LGBTQ rom-com and winning over both critics (91% on Rotten Tomatoes) and audiences (A CinemaScore) alike. Unfortunately, hardly anyone showed up, with the Billy Eichner-starring film grossing just $4.8 million from 3,350 screens. This is a worse debut than the summer’s sole studio live action comedy Easter Sunday, which had a $5.4 million opening and went on to gross just $13 million. Bros could do better when it’s all said and done with good word of mouth, but it's a dismal opening not just for the $22 million film but for the comedy genre as a whole, which is beginning to look like an endangered species. 10+ years ago, this likely could have done a mid to high teens opening a la director Nicholas Stoller’s earlier films Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Get Him to the Greek, which both went on to gross $60+ million domestically. Nowadays, comedies are a much tougher sell without major stars and wall to wall special effects in the mix."

- Box Office Mojo
Doesn’t matter. It’s still a landmark event and the movie is freaking wonderful. Those skipping it are missing out.

Wendy Pleakley

COVID and streaming has changed people's habits, and going to a theater is just becoming less of thing unless it's an "event" movie like Top Gun. I know I'm far more likely to see a Star Wars or Marvel movie in the theater over a rom com.

It's a shame because so many LGBT movies are low budget affairs, and these stories should be part of the mainstream. However, I get that this just isn't the type of movie that gets people out of their homes at the moment.

Regardless, it's a low budget movie and will no doubt be profitable once all revenue streams are factored in.

BuddyThomas

Disstevefan1

The type of movie or content is not the not the reason I watch from home now.

With todays high resolution big screens we got at home, I am totally happy staying home and not paying an arm and a leg for the snacks.

So what if I can’t see a movie when it first comes out sometimes. I know it will be on streaming eventually.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

COVID and streaming has changed people's habits, and going to a theater is just becoming less of thing unless it's an "event" movie like Top Gun. I know I'm far more likely to see a Star Wars or Marvel movie in the theater over a rom com.

It's a shame because so many LGBT movies are low budget affairs, and these stories should be part of the mainstream. However, I get that this just isn't the type of movie that gets people out of their homes at the moment.

This year alone streaming services have given us Heartstopper, Our Flag Means Death, Fire Island, Love Victor, Interview with a Vampire, and Shudder's documentary on queer representation in horror movies to name a few. A varied genre of content with LGBTQ rep.

People expect to see this kind of stuff on the streaming platforms they've already paid for...like Peacock.

The most common reason I'm seeing online for people not seeing Bros is "I'm not paying to see it in a theater."

Animaniac93-98

There were several screenings of Bros during TIFF, including the world premier. I happened to catch one of the showings where the cast, producer and director (briefly) came out to greet and warm up the crowd.

The audience I saw it with ate it up, and if nothing else it's clear from aggregated review sites that most people who've seen it, liked it.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Straight people can’t sit through ONE extremely well made, hysterical gay rom com????
Eichner told The Straights to stay home. His entire PR tour was extremely antagonistic.

I'm also seeing a lot of social buzz that progressives won't see the movie because it's too cis and too white. 🤷‍♂️

BuddyThomas

Eichner told The Straights to stay home. His entire PR tour was extremely antagonistic.

I'm also seeing a lot of social buzz that progressives won't see the movie because it's too cis and too white. 🤷‍♂️
I don’t find any evidence anywhere that Eichner told straight people to stay home. And also, if you had seen this film, you would know that it is filled with people of various races. Whatever. It’s awesome and I’m seeing it again tonight.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I don’t find any evidence anywhere that Eichner told straight people to stay home. And also, if you had seen this film, you would know that it is filled with people of various races. Whatever. It’s awesome and I’m seeing it again tonight.
I made no claim regarding the quality of the movie, only the quality of the marketing campaign.

BuddyThomas

I made no claim regarding the quality of the movie, only the quality of the marketing campaign.
You said he told straight people to stay home and I can’t find anything anywhere on the internet that supports this claim. He did blame straight people not coming for the low box office, but that’s something entirely different. Also being antagonistic is basically his brand. Did you ever see an episode of Billy on the Street where he runs around NYC screaming at people? That was funny enough to carry it through 5 seasons. That’s basically his character in this movie as well and it is more than funny enough to carry the two hour running time.

A lot of things have flopped at the initial box office only to become classics -The Big Lebowski, Heathers, Fight Club, It’s a Wonderful Life, Rocky Horror, many more. I don’t have a crystal ball or any horse in this race except that I want an excellent movie featuring prominent gay representation to succeed. And in the end, I predict that it will.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom