Pretty disappointed about airfare rates right now...

DiSnEyF@n

Southwest released airfare for 2016 up to March on 6/30. We're going in February.... The morning of 6/30 I went on and checked the rates and it was $99 each way and the times were perfect.... We decided to wait and book closer to February. What a mistake!!!! The rates are now $200 each way. What was I thinking???

Someone please tell me they will have more flights or something?!?!?! I am really kicking myself here.

SAV

Someone else mentioned Midwest Express, are they still in business? I'll have to check that, I thought they were gone.

No, they were bought by Air Tran, which was bought by Frontier. That's why I did the "Frontier/Air Tran/Midwest Express" notation. Sorry to confuse you.

Upvote 0

zeebs758

In the Parks
Yes
I was curious and just looked on priceline for round trip dates in Feb. Some flights are $136 on US Airways (PHL to MCO). Flights would be more expensive out of Newark so you're probably better to fly out of PHL.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Booking right away is typically the best policy for any low-cost carrier (e.g., Southwest, JetBlue)-- they tend to release lower fares first and the prices just go up as your travel dates get closer.

Keep checking back, and sign up for fare alerts on Kayak (although you'll still have to check SW directly, as it doesn't appear on Kayak). In the meantime, take a frank look at your options from local airports (consider driving to another, more distant airport if you can find a better rate there.) As soon as you find a number you can live with, book it, and familiarize yourself with the airline's policies concerning what happens if the rate goes down later (e.g., give greater consideration to airlines that will give you a credit or refund if the fare goes down).

*Another tip: If you're flying with an airline that has baggage fees, consider traveling "carryon only." I know it sounds a little crazy -- I used to travel with the world's largest luggage myself -- but I've come around. With a good packing list and the use of some good space-saving tips, my family of four can fit clothes, swimwear and accessories for a week, including cosmetics, toiletries, an extra pair of shoes per person, our breakfast foods and snacks, electronics, toys and books, etc. in four 21" carryon bags and four personal items. We save time waiting for baggage and the stress of worrying about our baggage going missing (or having things stolen from it), and never incur any fees.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pajammies

No, they were bought by Air Tran, which was bought by Frontier. That's why I did the "Frontier/Air Tran/Midwest Express" notation. Sorry to confuse you.

Ah, I see. I thought that Air Tran merged with Midwest and then died. And I thought Frontier was completely separate from the them. Besides that though, I don't follow who buys and/or merges with who.
Thanks for clearing that up.
I do know that when Midwest was in business, they were my favorite airline to travel and we always flew with them.

Upvote 0

HRHPrincessAriel

Just wondering where this is stated on Southwest's website?
1st line. https://www.southwest.com/html/air/no-fees.html
Technically they issue you a credit that can be used later but if you fly SWA a lot it doesn't matter since you will use again. If you book with points you get a "refund" on the points.

They've also got a no rebooking fee. You either just pay difference in price of get your refund. I've don't it multiple times

Upvote 0

Tuvalu

Premium Member
@HRHPrincessAriel, how long have you had to use a cash credit? The reason I ask is that Southwest royally messed up our upcoming September flight after I booked, and when it was finally corrected I have $28 in credit but it needs to be used by May 16, 2016. I was surprised the expiration was less than a year.

Upvote 0

HRHPrincessAriel

Upvote 0

WDW Monorail

Ah, I see. I thought that Air Tran merged with Midwest and then died. And I thought Frontier was completely separate from the them. Besides that though, I don't follow who buys and/or merges with who.
Thanks for clearing that up.
I do know that when Midwest was in business, they were my favorite airline to travel and we always flew with them.

Midwest Express was taken over by Republic and then handed off for a merger with Frontier.

Air Tran was taken over by Southwest.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

@HRHPrincessAriel, how long have you had to use a cash credit? The reason I ask is that Southwest royally messed up our upcoming September flight after I booked, and when it was finally corrected I have $28 in credit but it needs to be used by May 16, 2016. I was surprised the expiration was less than a year.
Did you book the flight on May 16, 2015?

Upvote 0

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Did you book the flight on May 16, 2015?
I would have to look it up but I thought I purchased it earlier. The change was Southwest's doing, not mine. Basically I had a nonstop evening flight (1 hour of flight time) that got changed to an early morning flight (same day) that required 2 layovers and 8 hours of travel! After nearly 2 hours on hold (since I was not allowed to make any changes online per the messages I received) I spoke with a rep who put me on a later evening flight than my original flight and said I now have a credit to be used by May 16.
I was just so happy to get an evening flight back (since we have park tickets and ADRs for that day) that I didn't focus on the details at the time.

Upvote 0

willtravel

It's not stated in quite those terms, but it falls under the cancellation policy here:
https://www.southwest.com/flight/pop_fareCompare.html?airline=WN (see footnote 1)
So you simply cancel the old reservation and rebook the new and you get the difference as credits.
mmmmaaaannnnn.......... I just flew on Southwest to New Mexico. We booked at 430.00 per ticket and it went down to 388.00 a couple months later. Same time. Same flight.......

Upvote 0

Nemo14

I would have to look it up but I thought I purchased it earlier. The change was Southwest's doing, not mine. Basically I had a nonstop evening flight (1 hour of flight time) that got changed to an early morning flight (same day) that required 2 layovers and 8 hours of travel! After nearly 2 hours on hold (since I was not allowed to make any changes online per the messages I received) I spoke with a rep who put me on a later evening flight than my original flight and said I now have a credit to be used by May 16.
I was just so happy to get an evening flight back (since we have park tickets and ADRs for that day) that I didn't focus on the details at the time.
I would call and just request the $$ difference back rather than credits if you won't be using it by then. Their customer service is usually exceptional.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom