Preparing someone for WDW

SyracuseOrange

Original Poster
Need your best tips!

I am in a (very) long distance relationship with someone who I met in grad school. He knows about my obsession with Disney and has been forced to go to the Brave midnight release with me, spend his Sunday afternoons watching Cinderella, and listen to me talk for countless hours about the parks. He has been to Disneyland for one day with some of his friends and enjoyed it, but is not (yet) an obsessive fan. I'm planning on running in the WDW marathon in January, and I want him there. Since he'll be taking a very long flight, I want him to spend a good amount of time at WDW. (And I want to enjoy the parks with him there as well. My recent trips to WDW have just been weekends, so it's been a long time since I've been there for a good stretch of time.)

I broke the news to him today that he will be coming, and he seemed alright with it. But I asked him how many days he thought he could handle there and he said...three. I obviously was hoping for many more, haha. I told him that there will be a list of movies that are required viewing before the trip, most of which he's already seen (though some of them he hasn't seen since he was a child.)

So my question is, what's the best way to ease someone into loving WDW? By the end of our time there, I'd hope that he would want to return again and remember little magical details about the trip for years to come. Anything I can do to prepare him for it, or things that I can plan while we're there (I can't wait to start planning the actual details of the trip!) would be appreciated.

AndyS2992

I would say nothing :confused: The more you try and force someone to like or get into something, the more they will grow tired and resist it. Let him take things at his own pace. Certainly watch a few movies beforehand but if he was really all that interested then he will look up what information he wants on the internet when chooses to.

StarWarsGirl

You can't force someone to love WDW. You can try to make it as enjoyable as possible, but if you push too hard, you may have the opposite effect.

My advice would be to get him to read about it beforehand. Purchase the official and unofficial guidebooks. The more you find out before, the more excited you get for a trip. Since you're there for three days only, pick what's most important for you, and get some input from him as to what he wants to hit.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
You could do a countdown, I email my husband a picture and a trivia question everyday for about 60 days before we go, this heightens the anticipation for the trip. Plus then your significant other can learn a little more about the parks in a gentle way. I also wouldn't advise going super commando touring style in the park, have a loose game plan but go with the flow a little, and have a couple decent meals planned.

SyracuseOrange

Original Poster
You can't force someone to love WDW. You can try to make it as enjoyable as possible, but if you push too hard, you may have the opposite effect.

My advice would be to get him to read about it beforehand. Purchase the official and unofficial guidebooks. The more you find out before, the more excited you get for a trip. Since you're there for three days only, pick what's most important for you, and get some input from him as to what he wants to hit.

Am I wrong to force him to spend more time there? He's mentioned before that he thinks he would enjoy Universal, so I was thinking maybe 5 days in WDW, 1 at Universal (I haven't seen WWOHP yet so that would be cool) and then we'd fly up to New York for a bit, where I live, before he makes the long flight home.

After he said three days max, I told him that I don't want him to realize when he's down there that he loves it and wish he had allowed me to book a longer trip.

Jessica618

I'll be honest with you...you can't prepare someone for an experience like 'we' have. The best way I can describe trying to explain the scope of WDW to a non-fanatic is like trying to describe the face of God to an atheist. The way I feel about the parks (the entire Disney experience really) is like...it's REAL. The magic, the wonder, the innocence, the make-believe is REAL. It's a REAL magic kingdom where princesses, fairies, and adventure live like they do in the minds of children without corruption or sorrow. It's an escape. He may not feel the same way. My husband went for the first time for our Honeymoon 2.0 (long story, he got swine flu on a cruise for our real honeymoon). He's a real 'man's man' and he takes every cheap shot at WDW he can...you know, the typical snide, "Look, kids! A people trap run by a mouse." type garbage. He was very unimpressed with our hotel, the bus ride from POP, and pretty much played on his phone.

Then we got to the Magic Kingdom.

He looked around.

He walked through the turnstiles.

He stood on Main Street. He saw the castle.

His first words were "Holy $@^&. This place is MASSIVE." The CM next to him whispered, "Yes, sir it is. This is only the entrance. All the attractions are in the back."

He's addicted, hook line and sinker. We've been back again and it's HIS idea we go again in the spring.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is don't expect him to look forward to it as much as you are but don't think he won't want to stay longer either;)

SyracuseOrange

Original Poster
You could do a countdown, I email my husband a picture and a trivia question everyday for about 60 days before we go, this heightens the anticipation for the trip. Plus then your significant other can learn a little more about the parks in a gentle way. I also wouldn't advise going super commando touring style in the park, have a loose game plan but go with the flow a little, and have a couple decent meals planned.

I NEVER plan my trips. Mainly because they are usually very quick. I went to grad school in London, so I had an AP at DLRP and would just stop there for a day on my way back to the UK from other countries. I've also recently done a few weekend trips to WDW now that I'm back in the US, and I've done a couple two day visits to Disneyland in recent years.

Since I'm usually traveling alone, and/or visiting CM friends, I never plan. I've been to the parks numerous times and always have a good time just doing what I want to do on my own time.

I think, however, that this trip requires more planning.

I like the trivia idea. I also told him that I would quiz him about the movies I wanted him to watch so that I know he actually did. But your idea is a nicer spin on that :)

SyracuseOrange

Original Poster
I'll be honest with you...you can't prepare someone for an experience like 'we' have. The best way I can describe trying to explain the scope of WDW to a non-fanatic is like trying to describe the face of God to an atheist. The way I feel about the parks (the entire Disney experience really) is like...it's REAL. The magic, the wonder, the innocence, the make-believe is REAL. It's a REAL magic kingdom where princesses, fairies, and adventure live like they do in the minds of children without corruption or sorrow. It's an escape. He may not feel the same way. My husband went for the first time for our Honeymoon 2.0 (long story, he got swine flu on a cruise for our real honeymoon). He's a real 'man's man' and he takes every cheap shot at WDW he can...you know, the typical snide, "Look, kids! A people trap run by a mouse." type garbage. He was very unimpressed with our hotel, the bus ride from POP, and pretty much played on his phone.

Then we got to the Magic Kingdom.

He looked around.

He walked through the turnstiles.

He stood on Main Street. He saw the castle.

His first words were "Holy $@^&. This place is MASSIVE." The CM next to him whispered, "Yes, sir it is. This is only the entrance. All the attractions are in the back."

He's addicted, hook line and sinker. We've been back again and it's HIS idea we go again in the spring.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is don't expect him to look forward to it as much as you are but don't think he won't want to stay longer either;)

Haha love this story! My boyfriend also has a similar attitude to what sounds like your husband did before he converted to the Magic. He loves to make fun of how much I love Disney and when I mentioned character M&Gs to him he had a very good laugh and said that he wouldn't do it. He will, he just doesn't know it yet.

I guess I just have to patiently wait for him to have a similar catharsis. Thanks!

StarWarsGirl

Am I wrong to force him to spend more time there? He's mentioned before that he thinks he would enjoy Universal, so I was thinking maybe 5 days in WDW, 1 at Universal (I haven't seen WWOHP yet so that would be cool) and then we'd fly up to New York for a bit, where I live, before he makes the long flight home.

After he said three days max, I told him that I don't want him to realize when he's down there that he loves it and wish he had allowed me to book a longer trip.

You really shouldn't force him to do anything. Maybe talk to him about doing Universal as well. Include him in the planning process. Let it be his trip.

SyracuseOrange

Original Poster
You really shouldn't force him to do anything. Maybe talk to him about doing Universal as well. Include him in the planning process. Let it be his trip.
Hmm...he's busy planning a trip in October for me to visit him in Switzerland (where he lives) and isn't involving me in the process at all. All I did was book a flight there. He won't even tell me what other country he's planning on taking me to for a weekend. I kind of wanted to do the same thing - not involve him at all and "surprise" him with how good WDW really is once he got there, without the "stress" of planning a trip. (Even though I view trip planning as fun and am super excited, as I'm sure you assume.)

I think I'll mention Universal to him, though, as a way of at least keeping him in Orlando. Then maybe I can sneak in a day or two more at Disney after our day trip to Universal.

Darth Tater

I told him that there will be a list of movies that are required viewing before the trip
That right there would turn me off of a trip completely, and make me totally want to reject the idea of going to WDW.

I know you mean well, but don't try so hard. Just go and enjoy; letting WDW sell itself for what it is. Don't tell him what he must & mustn't do, just go and experience the place as if it's your first time all over again...see it through his eyes that way. I'm sure that will make the experience more enjoyable for the both of you.
but is not (yet) an obsessive fan.
He doesn't have to be. Just go and enjoy the trip. If he likes it, great! If not, at least you'll still have a good time.

Todd L

If walking theu the gates at Mk and seeing Main street and the Castle dont at least pique his interest It may be hopeless.

My wife and Both kids are complete Disney nuts as am I and I cant imagine going and spending all that time and money if we all werent REALLY excited.

Good Luck and hey, at least hes a nice enough guy to be there for you reguardless of his interest.

whitethunder

The one thing you can't do is force it like many other people said, but also, remember if he doesn't like the world, don't hold it against him.

When we first got AP's I wasn't nuts about it, but we accepted them gracefully since they were a gift. Once we started going I was addicted.

MrsJackSparrow

What are the required movies? I am at a loss as to what would be required viewing for a trip to WDW, especially for an adult.

The better way to plan would be to zero in on his interests. There are so many options, something for everyone truly exists at WDW.

SAV

I asked him how many days he thought he could handle there and he said...three.
The first step will be to educate him that there are 4 separate and unique parks, so you will need to spend a day at each to get the full flavor of things. That will buy you one extra day right there.

I told him that there will be a list of movies that are required viewing before the trip
MAJOR turn off right there. Don't make it a requirement, but a suggestion that will make the trip better for him.

I also don't like the forcing of character meals or anything else for that matter on him. It may turn him off on the whole thing.

But you know him much better than we all do, so use your gut instincts and have fun.

Oooh...one other thought. Order the planning DVD and have it sent to his house. Then ASK him to watch it, not MAKE him watch it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom