Prep Work Has Begun for New Direct Ramp to Disney Springs Garage

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
Well, the prep work has finally started to appear for the new direct access ramp off of I-4 Westbound. The ramp will actually begin on the current Epcot Center Drive exit ramp and take it between the back of the Team Disney Building and the Typhoon Lagoon parking lot, crossing Buena Vista Drive near the entrance to Typhoon Lagoon and then connecting directly to the western-most side of the new parking garage that is currently being constructed.. There were survey crews in the area today, as well as other crews working on a ditch to sewer conversion project that is necessary due to the extra lane that will be needed on the off-ramp from I-4. (The current ditch is in between the Team Disney Building Access Road and the current I-4 WB to Epcot Center Drive ramp.) All of this is good news, because for a while there was talk of the ramp being cancelled. That is obviously not the case.

I'm quite happy this is happening. It should prevent most of the hassle of getting locals to the new Disney Springs complex. (Provided they're coming from the North)

What I don't have is a timetable for this new ramp. Anyone here have access to Reedy Creek information that might give us an idea when the ramp will be complete? It's obviously a big project, so I would expect it to take at least two years, but I really have no idea if the project has an established end date.

ozzel1

I drew a yellow line in the place described. It's really the only viable option for a ramp.
ramp.jpg

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
Sorry, your question was not entirely clear. I honestly don't remember. I don't even have the true original anymore- just the modified one I pasted in Earth.
Gotcha. Well, I can tell you that version is outdated because the bridge and parking garage aren't on there, but where you drew that yellow line is roughly correct.

ozzel1

Gotcha. Well, I can tell you that version is outdated because the bridge and parking garage aren't on there, but where you drew that yellow line is roughly correct.
Oh, I know it's old. I just haven't found a new one to update with yet. Glad my line is correct(ish). That was the whole point of my original post ya know.;)

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
Oh, I know it's old. I just haven't found a new one to update with yet. Glad my line is correct(ish). That was the whole point of my original post ya know.;)
Yup. I'm just a perfectionist and I wish we had an ariel view of the new parking garage on that map too.

PhilharMagician

It is great that they are adding the ramp to DS parking garage, but it would be a heck of a lot better if they also had a direct ramp out! With all of traffic lights and traffic that are is very congested throughout the afternoon into early evening. Reminds me of Manhattan not WDW and it will probably get worse after Disney Spring is completed.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Well, the prep work has finally started to appear for the new direct access ramp off of I-4 Westbound. The ramp will actually begin on the current Epcot Center Drive exit ramp and take it between the back of the Team Disney Building and the Typhoon Lagoon parking lot, crossing Buena Vista Drive near the entrance to Typhoon Lagoon and then connecting directly to the western-most side of the new parking garage that is currently being constructed.. There were survey crews in the area today, as well as other crews working on a ditch to sewer conversion project that is necessary due to the extra lane that will be needed on the off-ramp from I-4. (The current ditch is in between the Team Disney Building Access Road and the current I-4 WB to Epcot Center Drive ramp.) All of this is good news, because for a while there was talk of the ramp being cancelled. That is obviously not the case.

I'm quite happy this is happening. It should prevent most of the hassle of getting locals to the new Disney Springs complex. (Provided they're coming from the North)

What I don't have is a timetable for this new ramp. Anyone here have access to Reedy Creek information that might give us an idea when the ramp will be complete? It's obviously a big project, so I would expect it to take at least two years, but I really have no idea if the project has an established end date.

I haven't seen a South Florida Water Management District permit for this. Is this being built by Disney/Reedy, or a third party?

maxairmike

Is it completely correct? It looks like the ramp to DTD connects into an on ramp from 535 onto I-4 West. The only way would could use it would be if you were heading south on 535.

Ummm...what?

This is an extension of the current 536/Epcot Center Dr. exit ramp. That mockup is pretty much exactly how it will be constructed. Believe me, I use this exit several times a week.

EDIT: If you're referring to traffic coming up the Eastbound side of I-4, then yes, there's no direct connection, but the vast majority of traffic using that entrance is from Westbound I-4. Just taking the majority of that traffic away from the ECD/Buena Vista Dr. intersection will make things easier for those using the ECD exit from I-4E.

ozzel1

Is it completely correct? It looks like the ramp to DTD connects into an on ramp from 535 onto I-4 West. The only way would could use it would be if you were heading south on 535.
I'm venturing into Speculationland- the worst DtD traffic is at exit 68/Vineland road. This is 'mostly' traffic headed Westbound on I-4. The 'intention' is to move that traffic from the HIGHLY congested 'crossroads' area (with it's many lights, merging traffic, etc) further down the road to a dedicated exit ramp. This ramp is strictly for Westbound traffic headed Into DtD. Eastbound would just get off at exit 65 as they do now.

edit: I see your confusion- My yellow line is connected to a westbound exit ramp OFF of I-4 ONTO 536 (Epcot Center Drive)

71jason

I'm venturing into Speculationland- the worst DtD traffic is at exit 68/Vineland road. This is 'mostly' traffic headed Westbound on I-4. The 'intention' is to move that traffic from the HIGHLY congested 'crossroads' area (with it's many lights, merging traffic, etc) further down the road to a dedicated exit ramp. This ramp is strictly for Westbound traffic headed Into DtD. Eastbound would just get off at exit 65 as they do now.

Agreed. Anything that alleviates some of the traffic on 535 will help. I don't see how an "exit" ramp (back to I4East) is feasible here, but at least it helps solve one problem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom