Pre-Infinity War Marvel watch

Princess Leia

Original Poster
This is fun as I'm watching my way through most of these for the first time too. I think I'm pretty much in agreement, thought I would have Iron Man 2 higher, I liked that one quite a bit as well. But of the ones you have reviewed here so far, Iron Man was def. my favorite, and I completely agree, the effects held up really well.
There are movies that have come out in the past couple years that don’t look as good as Iron Man, it just looks that good still.

I’m curious- before starting from the beginning, what films have you already watched?

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
We just finished our rewatch last night. My son (7) watched every film with me. My daughter (9) really didn't care until Avengers 2 she would start watching and get frustrated by the lack of awesome women, one is not enough! She's annoyed still that they gave Pepper Potts superpowers in IM3 and then just never showed her again until Spider-man. She loved Black Panther (we forced her to go, we knew she would love it). After seeing that she told us we weren't allowed to watch Thor 3 without her and she suddenly became interested in seeing IW.

My son really likes Hulk especially when he's smashing other Avengers. Ant-man and Doctor Strange were also favorites. Doctor Strange, I thought for sure would be a hard watch for a 6-year-old at the time but he really liked it. The 3 Iron Man movies were the hardest watches for him. We had to break them each in half. The first 2 Thors were tough too.

GOTG 1 & 2 were hits with both of them. Kick ladies and Rocket and Groot.

My daughter really like Thor 3 as they had two female characters who had superpowers. She doesn't care in they are heroes or villains as long as they are awesome.

Last edited:

LSLS

There are movies that have come out in the past couple years that don’t look as good as Iron Man, it just looks that good still.

I’m curious- before starting from the beginning, what films have you already watched?

None of them. I grew up on cartoons, so the ones that I really cared about either weren't in the MCU (X-Men) of were DC (Batman, Superman). I liked Spiderman as a kid too, but only saw the pre-MCU ones. I don't know why I never saw them other than I'm not a big movie guy.

We just finished our rewatch last night. My son (7) watched every film with me. My daughter (9) really didn't care until Avengers 2 she would start watching and get frustrated by the lack of awesome women, one is not enough! She's annoyed still that they gave Pepper Potts superpowers in IM3 and then just never showed her again until Spider-man. She loved Black Panther (we forced her to go, we knew she would love it). After seeing that she told us we weren't allowed to watch Thor 3 without her and she suddenly became interested in seeing IW.

My son really likes Hulk especially when he's smashing other Avengers. Ant-man and Doctor Strange were also favorites. Doctor Strange, I thought for sure would be a hard watch for a 6-year-old at the time but he really liked it. The 3 Iron Man movies were the hardest watches for him. We had to break them each in half. The first 2 Thors were tough too.

GOTG 1 & 2 were hits with both of them. Kick *** ladies and Rocket and Groot.

My daughter really like Thor 3 as they had two female characters who had superpowers. She doesn't care in they are heroes or villains as long as they are awesome.

That's interesting. Maybe I should have my 5 year old check one out. She's young, but she is super mature for her age and loves Star Wars (for Rey, same idea, strong female).

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
None of them. I grew up on cartoons, so the ones that I really cared about either weren't in the MCU (X-Men) of were DC (Batman, Superman). I liked Spiderman as a kid too, but only saw the pre-MCU ones. I don't know why I never saw them other than I'm not a big movie guy.

That's interesting. Maybe I should have my 5 year old check one out. She's young, but she is super mature for her age and loves Star Wars (for Rey, same idea, strong female).

My daughter is funny she is very girl power centric-right now. She quit Wonder Woman halfway through because "All the men need to let her do her job!" After they left the island she just got more and more annoyed at everyone trying to stop her from saving the world. Marvel movies do have more sexual content so that's a big difference. No jokes and rolling around in bed in Star Wars. Black Panther was a big hit with her because there are so many amazing female characters all of them different. She said "normally you only get one girl!"

Princess Leia

Original Poster

Ah gotcha. Which ones have you watched so far? Just wanting to know if I should start putting things in spoiler tags

LSLS

Ah gotcha. Which ones have you watched so far? Just wanting to know if I should start putting things in spoiler tags

You are good, you set the page up perfectly, and besides I'm not too worried about spoilers (they never really bother me as weird as that sounds). But I just finished Avengers Ultron so I'm a good deal ahead. I am usually getting 1 done a day at least, so don't worry too much.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
What’s nice about this rewatch is that I’ve realized that my opinions have changed over time. Thor had been a favorite film of mine (in the MCU), but I discovered that in comparison to some others, it’s not as good. Opposite is happening for Captain America: The First Avenger. It wasn’t at the top of my list before, but I’m really enjoying it now.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Alright, so I'm finishing the Avengers now (link to thoughts and review here), and it's hitting me that this movie is 2 hours 23 minutes, and it really only focuses on 12 characters (Nick, Maria, Coulson, Tony, Steve, Natasha, Clint, Bruce, Thor, Loki, Erik, Pepper). And obviously, some like Clint, Erik, and Pepper don't have as much to do compared to the others.

Now here's my question- with only an extra 13 minutes, what the crap is Infinity War going to be like with 64 characters???? Unless there's a scene where a third are killed off in a two minute timeframe, what is this movie honestly going to be like?

Hobnail Boot

Unless there's a scene where a third are killed off in a two minute timeframe, what is this movie honestly going to be like?
Or at the snap of a finger...

thanos-snaps-his-fingers.jpg

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Today is the 14th, seeing the moving on the 26th, and I’m currently in the middle of The Dark World (movie 8/18).

Hoping to finish TDW and watch Winter Soldier in its completion tonight, then watch the next two or three tomorrow.

Either way, I’m going to need to find a way to watch Ant-Man ASAP (it’s the only Stage 2 film I don’t own, and I think all but Ragnarok are on Netflix from Stage 3)

Hobnail Boot

While I’m not sure we’ll see any main characters go out that way, I’m sure we could see it happen to a planet or two (depending on how many rings Thanos has by the end of the movie)
I agree, but it will be interesting to see how and if this particular scene is played out (after all, Gamora references it in several clips). I foresee an ending similar to this for the film, with Avengers 4 picking up from that cliffhanger and resolving the conflict.

LSLS

Great write ups again. You most recent ones, I have the exact same ratings I think, though I will say that my favorite was the Avengers, not Winter Soldier (which I liked a lot more than expected).

As for Infinity, I have a TON of theories about what is going to happen (who is going to die). But I bet a lot do die in the main fight scene,

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Wow, you make it all seem like such work... but it's clearly a labor of love.
This was a lot easier when there are only 5-10 movies to watch before an Avengers movie, not 18 lol
Great write ups again. You most recent ones, I have the exact same ratings I think, though I will say that my favorite was the Avengers, not Winter Soldier (which I liked a lot more than expected).

As for Infinity, I have a TON of theories about what is going to happen (who is going to die). But I bet a lot do die in the main fight scene,
Thanks! I'm enjoying watching everything again (especially the Phase 3 films coming up, since I haven't watched them since they've been in theatres). Where are you in the series now?

Last edited:

LSLS

This was a lot easier when there are only 5-10 movies to watch before an Avengers movie, not 18 lol

Thanks! I'm enjoying watching everything again (especially the Phase 3 films coming up, since I haven't watched them since they've been in theatres). Where are you in the series now?

Just finished Phase 2 (Ant Man). Not sure if I will get to it today or tomorrow. Hockey playoffs have slowed my pace quite a bit.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Just finished Phase 2 (Ant Man). Not sure if I will get to it today or tomorrow. Hockey playoffs have slowed my pace quite a bit.
Well luckily you’re in the home stretch now! I just finished Guardians, watching Ultron and Ant-Man soon!

Last edited:

LSLS

Well luckily you’re in the home stretch now! I just finished Guardians, watching Ultron and Ant-Man soon!

Yeah I'll probably finish this week. Being in the field has it's advantages, mainly that there is nothing else to do in a hotel room.

So hit my first disagreement (and I disagree with about everyone on this), but I really didn't like Guardians very much. I've never been a big sci-fi person which is a big reason, but I just wasn't into it at all.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I've actually been watching most of these movies for the first time in prep and been enjoying most of them. I had previously seen and really enjoyed Guardians I & II, Antman, and Black Panther and I'm surprised at how enjoyable the rest of these have been. I enjoy your commentary on these as well.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Yeah I'll probably finish this week. Being in the field has it's advantages, mainly that there is nothing else to do in a hotel room.

So hit my first disagreement (and I disagree with about everyone on this), but I really didn't like Guardians very much. I've never been a big sci-fi person which is a big reason, but I just wasn't into it at all.
Just curious, since you weren't a fan of Guardians, what did you think of the Thor films? (just wondering since they're both set in space)
Unless you watched Civil War today, I'm finally caught up with you! I think I'm watching it tomorrow
I've actually been watching most of these movies for the first time in prep and been enjoying most of them. I had previously seen and really enjoyed Guardians I & II, Antman, and Black Panther and I'm surprised at how enjoyable the rest of these have been. I enjoy your commentary on these as well.
Wow! That's such an eclectic group of films to watch without going into the others. I'm glad you're enjoying them! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom