PotC storyline question

wsapooh

Original Poster
Pirates of the Caribbean...Spoilers here! DO NOT read this thread if you haven't seen the film!! I have a question for others who have seen the film and don't want to spoil anything for those that haven't!

OK.
I must begin this by saying that the theater we saw it in had the volume down so low that I missed alot of lines. Weird since most theaters try to blast you out of your seat with the volume. But this is why I may have missed this bit and why I have to ask about it here.
So, Will's dad, Bootstrap Bill, is a pirate that felt bad about dumping Jack but still participated in stealing the Aztec treasure. He takes a piece and sends it to Will. Then gets killed by the pirates when they attach a canon to his bootstraps and dump him overboard. Question.... if he had participated in the stealing of the treasure, how is it that he DIED? I mean, wouldn't he have been cursed and therefore wouldn't die?
Did I miss something?

This is totally unimportant and pointless - I was just curious. It is after all, just a movie.

:veryconfu

Sorry this got posted in the wrong board. Should be in Motion Pictures, TV, Video and DVD
My fault!

goofyguy

It was my understanding that Bootstrap wasn't dead, simply doomed to spend enternity (or at least until the curse was lifted) chained to a cannon at the bottom of the ocean. I could be wrong, but that's what I came away with.

SirNim

Originally posted by goofyguy
It was my understanding that Bootstrap wasn't dead, simply doomed to spend enternity (or at least until the curse was lifted) chained to a cannon at the bottom of the ocean. I could be wrong, but that's what I came away with.
That's what I would have to say, too... :)

civileng68

Account Suspended
well

well it seemed to me that they were only immortal if they held the treasure. Once they lost the treasure they no longer were immortal.

At least that's what I got from it, did you stay to see the special clip at the end of the movie? That told alot in regards to holding the treasure and that making them immortal.

It also let us know that there will be a sequel with every possessed pirate coming back to life. The mokey saved their souls by stealing another piece of treasure.

wsapooh

Original Poster
Originally posted by goofyguy

I wondered about that myself. So when Will ended the curse, Bill would have become mortal and drowned immediately??? Yikes!

No! I didn't see the special clip at the end!

I have to go see it again.

HebeJebe

I was planning on asking the same question.

Well if the Governor could cut off the arm of a cursed pirate then Bootstrap Bill could be in a bunch of little pieces at the bottom of the sea.

Timekeeper

curse of the blair pirate

Stealing the aztec treasure [greed] is was enacted the curse. The curse was the punish those who would steal the treasure.

The immortal curse is more like a "living dead" curse. That so-called "immortality" has nothing to do with holding on to the treasure, but whether or not the treasure is returned in its entirety to the chest from which it came. The curse lasts until the treasure is once again intact - with the blood of you know who. I don't thing Bill literally participated in the taking of the treasure, which adds to his defiance for which he was killed. Regardless, you have to remember the very important plot point that the return of the treasure as a whole required the blood of a very particular DNA. They couldn't use the blood of just anybody. Put the two together and the plotline begins to make a bit more sense.

Tk

wsapooh

Original Poster
I was under the impression that the treasure had to be returned in its entirety along with the blood of those who stole it. So each pirate contributed his blood as they collected all the pieces. The curse was still intact because they needed the last piece and Bill's blood. So Bill must have participated in the theft and must have been cursed.

Is this not correct?

Timekeeper

Yup, that's right. For some reason I didn't think that Bill was at the taking of the treasure, or at least it wasn't something he wanted that badly - because he gave it away.

But if what you say is true, and each of the other pirates gave back their peice and blood, how is it that they supplied their own blood? From what I recall, you cannot injure or draw blood from any of the cursed pirates. They were stabbed/shot plenty of times with no sign of any blood injuries from what I can recall. (Remember, towards the end, Rush shot another pirate to see if the curse was lifted, and sure enough, he didn't die, ...or bleed!)

Tk

ACE

Originally posted by Timekeeper
Yup, that's right. For some reason I didn't think that Bill was at the taking of the treasure, or at least it wasn't something he wanted that badly - because he gave it away.

But if what you say is true, and each of the other pirates gave back their peice and blood, how is it that they supplied their own blood? From what I recall, you cannot injure or draw blood from any of the cursed pirates. They were stabbed/shot plenty of times with no sign of any blood injuries from what I can recall. (Remember, towards the end, Rush shot another pirate to see if the curse was lifted, and sure enough, he didn't die, ...or bleed!)

Tk

Yes they do bleed. Remember when Elisabeth stabbed Barbosa? When he pulled the knife out it had blood on it. Also, at the end when Capt. Jack was cursed, he cut his hand and bloodied the coin before tossing it to Will.

:wave: ACE

wsapooh

Original Poster
Originally posted by Timekeeper

Tk

That's true - another confusing point. So how DO you get blood from an undead pirate?

When they think Elizabeth is a Turner and are about to use her blood, Barbosa asks the pirates which ones have contributed their own blood to end the curse. They all raise their hands and yell in answer. So they already contributed. But they still need Bill's. They just didn't realize it when they threw him overboard.

I wondered if anyone else thought that giving it away is what saved him from the curse. Obviously you thought the same thing.

We're analyzing this WAY too much. :hammer:

All that REALLY matters is that it was a great movie. And I guess I pretty much got the answer to my question...no, I did not miss something. Others seem to have questions too.

I dont know why the monkey is there in the end,it doesnt really set up for a sequel cause then all that movie would be about it an almost dead monkey. [wild messed up idea alert] maybe the monkey is the reencarnation(sp?) of bootrap bill!! [/wild messed up idea alert]

wsapooh

Original Poster
Originally posted by ACE
Yes they do bleed. Remember when Elisabeth stabbed Barbosa? When he pulled the knife out it had blood on it. Also, at the end when Capt. Jack was cursed, he cut his hand and bloodied the coin before tossing it to Will.

:wave: ACE

You're absolutley right! I do remember that now. Thanks!

kal1484

Originally posted by imagineergurl
I dont know why the monkey is there in the end,it doesnt really set up for a sequel cause then all that movie would be about it an almost dead monkey. [wild messed up idea alert] maybe the monkey is the reencarnation(sp?) of bootrap bill!! [/wild messed up idea alert]

Or, I wonder if the monkey somehow gets Barboosa to get a piece...

TURKEY

Originally posted by wdwprincess03
Or, I wonder if the monkey somehow gets Barboosa to get a piece...

But once he is actually dead, would it matter? The monkey was never killed so he could stay immortal if he held on to it.

I think that Bootstrap is dead. He was sentenced to the bottom of the ocean for sending his piece to his son. Therefore, not in possession, he would be mortal and die (much like the pirates at the end of the movie).

I don't really see what the monkey having the coin does. I don't see a sequel based on that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom