PotC storyline question

pjammer

:brick: Ok what I can recall was they mention how it was ironic how they killed Bootstrap. It took the blood of a crew member to break the curse and Bootstrap was not cursed. Meerly having the gold was not ground enough to be immortal. I believe you had to physically take the gold from the chest to become immortal. B/c when Elizabeth and Will possed the gold it did not make them cursed. However when Jack or the Monkey took the gold from the chest it did curse them. It is possible for Bootstrap to have gotten the gold from a cursed crew member (therefore not making him cursed) then mailed it away to seal their doom. I thought Barborsa mention that if they hadn't killed Bootstrap they could have broken the curse without searching for all the coins.

I just need to watch the movie again now.

NowInc

Bootstrap never got a chance to be cursed..so therefore..he is dead. Even if he WAS cursed..he'd definatly be dead by now ;) (once the curse got lifted..he'd be chained to the bottom of the ocean)

goofyguy

Okay … after thinking about this for a while, here's my timeline of events:

· All the pirates we see as cursed in the movie remove at least one piece of the gold from the chest.

· Bootstrap also removes a piece of gold and therefore is cursed as well.

· The pirates realize they are cursed, but don't know how to remove the curse yet.

· Bootstrap is tossed overboard.

· The pirates discover that in order to remove the curse the gold, along with the blood of each person who took the gold, must be put in the chest. (My justification for this is that Sparrow cut his own hand when he tossed his piece of gold back, thus contributing his blood).

· The pirates get back every piece and contribute all the blood from everyone except for Bootstrap.

· The events of "Pirates of the Caribbean" take place.

Moustronaut

....in the mean time, bootstrap in on the floor of the ocean waiting for his chaing or whatever to rust away or whatever.

bill walks off the bottom of the ocean

curse gets lifted, Bill is now average joe former pirate hell bent on revenge on his crew...

Thus Pirates 2....

Since the sequel has been confirmed, maybe that's just a plot point for future development

AndyMagic

Ok, I have seen it a billion times (film major here) so I can clear things up for people who are confused. The curse is lifted by returning every single piece of gold AND every person who stole gold must give their blood to the chest. Yes, the pirates do bleed, this was shown when Elizabeth stabbed Barbosa. The knife was coated in blood. Also Barbosa explains this in a very quick line toward the end of the film. "Who here has given their blood?" and all the pirates scream. Bootstrap was obviously part of the stealing, otherwise they wouldn't need his blood to lift the curse in the first place. So we know Bootstrap was cursed too. This obviously means that he didn't die under the ocean. Judging by the lack of explanation regarding Bootstraps state when he was dumped, leads me to believe he will be a character in the sequel. We already know that the pirates are very good at walking under water. (This was shown when they, "went for a walk" as Barbosa said.) So it seems like a good deal of forshadowing to me. Spending years down there, he probably devised some sort of plan of escape before the curse was lifted. Expect to see Bootstrap in Pirates 2. Any other questions I can answer?

Timekeeper

monkey get off my back

What to do with the evil monkey... in the sequal... If he's been a bad monkey, then we could spank him. If he were Peter Gabriel's monkey, then we would shock him.

The monkey stole a peice of the gold, so the monkey is now cursed and cannot die.

It's like my man Notorious B.I.G. always said, "more monkey, more problems."

Tk

wsapooh

Original Poster
Originally posted by AndyMagic
Ok, I have seen it a billion times (film major here) so I can clear things up for people who are confused. The curse is lifted by returning every single piece of gold AND every person who stole gold must give their blood to the chest. Yes, the pirates do bleed, this was shown when Elizabeth stabbed Barbosa. The knife was coated in blood. Also Barbosa explains this in a very quick line toward the end of the film. "Who here has given their blood?" and all the pirates scream. Bootstrap was obviously part of the stealing, otherwise they wouldn't need his blood to lift the curse in the first place. So we know Bootstrap was cursed too. This obviously means that he didn't die under the ocean. Judging by the lack of explanation regarding Bootstraps state when he was dumped, leads me to believe he will be a character in the sequel. We already know that the pirates are very good at walking under water. (This was shown when they, "went for a walk" as Barbosa said.) So it seems like a good deal of forshadowing to me. Spending years down there, he probably devised some sort of plan of escape before the curse was lifted. Expect to see Bootstrap in Pirates 2. Any other questions I can answer?

Wow! I feel like I just attended a class. Thanks, professor. Will there be a test? ;)

I like the idea of it all being a set-up for the next movie. Very good point. My husband and I have been talking about this issue and he also seemed to think that after all that time underwater that Bootstrap would have been able to figure out a way free himself from the cannon.

And here, when I started this thread, I thought I was just missing something....no idea we'd have such discussions about this! :lol:

Gonna try to see it again this weekend. Can't wait!!

TURKEY

I would think Bootstrap is dead now unless he made it out of the ocean.

Once the curse was lifted (and it was) shouldn't Bootstrap die if still attached to the cannon at the bottom of the ocean?

After all, several pirates die, including Barbosa.

dox

I think you have to be right about Bootstrap being alive. He purposefully sent the medallion to his son in order to curse Barbosa and in his crew for their mutiny against Sparrow. Thus, he had to have been cursed himself. But if I recall correctly, Barbosa discusses how they have searched all over for all the pieces of gold that have left the chest...thus, that could mean, they didn't realize they were cursed till later...but i'm probably wrong about this. Either way you are right Bootstrap is alive.

Moustronaut

Originally posted by turkey leg boy
I would think Bootstrap is dead now unless he made it out of the ocean.

Once the curse was lifted (and it was) shouldn't Bootstrap die if still attached to the cannon at the bottom of the ocean?

After all, several pirates die, including Barbosa.

Ah but he's been down there for 10-ish years. It wasn't like he had anything but escape to work on while he was down there.

TURKEY

Originally posted by Moustronaut
Ah but he's been down there for 10-ish years. It wasn't like he had anything but escape to work on while he was down there.

True, but to say he didn't die at the bottom of the ocean (if he is still there) seems to be impossible. After becomming mortal again, I would think an instant death from the pressure, and if that didn't work, he would soon die of lack of oxygen and a drowning.

Timekeeper

esquela de film

Ok, I have seen it a billion times (film major here)...

Hmmmm... I wasn't aware that film school students were concerned with modern Hollywood pop culture. Things must have really changed since, well, let's just say "before." I just hope that Gore hasn't replaced Alfred when it comes to the classroom.

Tk

TURKEY

Ok, I have seen it a billion times (film major here) so I can clear things up for people who are confused.

Unless you have a pirated copy, I don't see how you could have seen it more than 100 times.

Moustronaut

Originally posted by turkey leg boy
True, but to say he didn't die at the bottom of the ocean (if he is still there) seems to be impossible. After becomming mortal again, I would think an instant death from the pressure, and if that didn't work, he would soon die of lack of oxygen and a drowning.

My guess is he escaped some time ago and has been in hiding.

But who knows... we'll have to see what happens when the sequel comes out

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom