POTC - New additions?

RSoxNo1

I just don't believe Jim is as big of an insider as he lets on. He misses the mark so many times. If he did have access to the information above like you said he does, then he should have posted it. He was a fool not to. I personally don't believe he did. His site is all about what if and what could have been, never what is.

We played the raw audio of him telling us about the Seven Dwarf's Mine train on our show, I believe it was on Episode #059 (Steve, if you want me to unlink I will).

As I said though, when he got the Seven Dwarf's Mine Train story he wasn't chasing that story. He was in the right place at the right time and was presented the information. Then he couldn't get anyone to go on record to confirm it, so he didn't post it.

It's impossible to have your hand on everything in the company. More recently Jim came on our show and mentioned the Tron Coaster, and then shortly there after we found out the information was outdated (thanks to Lee for the updated information). We posted a note about it in the show notes.

That show happened last month, and Jim's information was from February. If you remember the Project Z thread it will give you an idea of how fast things change. This was something that Tom Staggs was pushing for and yet it still didn't get done. It really comes down to any rumor. They're fun to speculate about, but no rumor is guaranteed. A rumor is gossip - usually there's an element of truth to it but if it doesn't come true it doesn't negate that element of truth.

Not everything is black and white. In fact most things aren't. The sooner people can recognize that the world (and the internet) will be a far less cynical place.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I have no comment on this updated. I don't pay attention to the things based on the movies, I pay attention to the original things kept and the ghost... :lookaroun

iheartdisney91

Why do they feel the need to add in the movies even more?
POTC is great as it is, even tho i HATE the plot is based on jack now, i miss how the ride had its own story.

TP2000

Why do they feel the need to add in the movies even more?

Because the first three movies brought in 2.7 Billion Dollars in ticket sales. And a lot of those people sitting in the theater have never been to a Disney theme park and never knew there was a ride that inspired the movies. To not tie those two cultural phenomena together would not be smart business.

Plus, the rides needed freshening after 40 years.

spaceghost

So next he decides to be Mr. Bad-Mama-Jamma Disney Man and orchestrates himself getting thrown out of Disneyland, turning him into the anti-Disney crusader. He was gonna out-Lutz Lutz (though, to be fair, I like Al - the only thing that bothers me is his utter hatred of WDW, but since he rarely covers our parks I can deal with it). He got removed from the park (was he actually banned for a time? can't be bothered to go look). And it was spew spew spew and that's when he started his money making scheme with "preorders" of all these audio tours he was going to sell since Disney threw him out for charging people to take his in-park tours.

Yeah, he confuses me. It's like he's had radical mood shifts over the years. I started reading his site years back for the interesting park scoops, but those became fewer and fewer and most of his articles were turning into really venomous, totally transparent hate-fests against Pixar and John Lasseter. This was about the time that Pixar was acquired and Cars was coming out. Just about every day there was an article about how Cars was a disappointment financially and how Disney made a huge mistake and would never recoup the cost of purchasing Pixar, etc. It was so clear that he had some sort of vendetta against Lasseter and Pixar that it was laughable and you couldn't take anything he wrote seriously. I actually stopped reading at that point and didn't go back for a while. When I did I noticed that his posts took a completely different tone. He's posted almost universally positive articles on subsequent Pixar efforts and there has been nary a negative word said. Clearly he found that tack wasn't working for him, or fences had been mended with him and whoever ticked him off... it was just a bizarre thing to follow.

COProgressFan

Tony Baxter, or someone close to Tony? That's my guess. :confused:

Yeah, I think the common understanding that Tony Baxter is one of Lutz's primary sources. I'm sure there are others too...

As for Jim Hill...well...I think he's more of a self-promoter than an actual Disney historian or insider or whatever he thinks himself to be.

DisneyNut2007

I just don't believe Jim is as big of an insider as he lets on. He misses the mark so many times. If he did have access to the information above like you said he does, then he should have posted it. He was a fool not to. I personally don't believe he did. His site is all about what if and what could have been, never what is.

Same goes for Al "WDW-Hater" Lutz.

MightyGitis

Wow this thread took a turn. Regardless of the source war you guys are talking about, the fact that THE ACTOR IS QUOTED on this one maybe all that other stuff doesn't matter so much?

Rum Pirate

Ill do some digging and see what I come up with, but honestly, this is the first Im hearing about this, so if it is true, its going to be a addition to Davy Jones but Ill check into it.

RP

AEfx

Original Poster
Re: Jim Hill - I'm not going to say I'm done defending him, but I'm done for now. AeFX - I've been brought up to speed on the Lost story. I never watched the show, so an article about that didn't really interest me. I'm sorry for being unfamiliar with it.

As for the backstory and articles having to disappear - that happens quite a bit. Back in the old days newspapers would print retractions to front page stories on page 37. On the web, people are asked to remove content all the time, if anyting it often lends creedence to their validity.

Uh, he posted a story he made up (about LOST) and then when another website he directed it to finally months later said "yup, don't know who this blogger guy is, untrue" then it disappeared. He removed it because he made something up, posted it, it was called out, and he buried it. You can't twist that.

We get it. You like to keep this guy buttered because you apparently have a podcast that you feel he lends credibility to. It's great.

But it's not cynical to call someone on behavior observed over the past half-dozen plus years. Hilly is a self-promoter, who's current guise is to be used by some Imagineer to leak info. It's great - we win because we get the info, but that doesn't change the fact the guy is a complete chameleon that changes his tune so often based on whatever he thinks will advance him further or how he can exploit things to his advantage.

When this one dries up he'll spin the wheel again and find another angle. We'll know on the 20th if this is true or not, but regardless the man is living in the bed he made for himself as far as the reputation he has earned in the Disney community over the years.

HMF

Because the first three movies brought in 2.7 Billion Dollars in ticket sales. And a lot of those people sitting in the theater have never been to a Disney theme park and never knew there was a ride that inspired the movies. To not tie those two cultural phenomena together would not be smart business.

Plus, the rides needed freshening after 40 years.

Except that they were already tied together.

RSoxNo1

Uh, he posted a story he made up (about LOST) and then when another website he directed it to finally months later said "yup, don't know who this blogger guy is, untrue" then it disappeared. He removed it because he made something up, posted it, it was called out, and he buried it. You can't twist that.

We get it. You like to keep this guy buttered because you apparently have a podcast that you feel he lends credibility to. It's great.

But it's not cynical to call someone on behavior observed over the past half-dozen plus years. Hilly is a self-promoter, who's current guise is to be used by some Imagineer to leak info. It's great - we win because we get the info, but that doesn't change the fact the guy is a complete chameleon that changes his tune so often based on whatever he thinks will advance him further or how he can exploit things to his advantage.

When this one dries up he'll spin the wheel again and find another angle. We'll know on the 20th if this is true or not, but regardless the man is living in the bed he made for himself as far as the reputation he has earned in the Disney community over the years.

I have the full backstory of what actually happened regarding Lost. He didn't make it up. I know you're not going to buy into that, even with the full explanation of what happened so it's not worth it. In terms of liking Jim Hill, you're a lost cause.

Having said all that, this is a completely different story. The Lost story that you pulled out involves emotions and people's egos. It's far damaging to the people involved than whether or not Ian McShane indirectly gave Jim Hill bad information about filming something for Pirates of the Caribbean.

The story you posted is pretty cut and dry. McShane he recorded something for the parks, Jim is reporting on it. If it doesn't happen, somehow that's Jim's fault?

What puzzles me, is that if you're such a Jim detractor why did you start the thread?

misterID

Kind of what I was thinking. Someone thinks Jim is nothing but a liar, but they cruise his site and posts stories he found there... Then criticizes anyone who defends Jim. Fun stuff.

AEfx

Original Poster
I have the full backstory of what actually happened regarding Lost. He didn't make it up. I know you're not going to buy into that, even with the full explanation of what happened so it's not worth it. In terms of liking Jim Hill, you're a lost cause.

Having said all that, this is a completely different story. The Lost story that you pulled out involves emotions and people's egos. It's far damaging to the people involved than whether or not Ian McShane indirectly gave Jim Hill bad information about filming something for Pirates of the Caribbean.

The story you posted is pretty cut and dry. McShane he recorded something for the parks, Jim is reporting on it. If it doesn't happen, somehow that's Jim's fault?

What puzzles me, is that if you're such a Jim detractor why did you start the thread?

Kind of what I was thinking. Someone thinks Jim is nothing but a liar, but they cruise his site and posts stories he found there... Then criticizes anyone who defends Jim. Fun stuff.

I can answer both of you together - though I've already addressed these points previously.

First, as I said, this is very well true. It fits the recent pattern of articles from that site, which is it is leaked select info that someone wishes to get out there. This could be done via many different venues, but right now and in the recent past some of it has come from Hilly.

Second, as I also said originally, I stopped reading his site for years, but when these leaks started hitting there I added it to my RSS feed again. I saw this one, hadn't seen it mentioned here yet, and checked it out. I posted it here because it hadn't been done yet, and I was curious what our own experts thought of it.

Someone asked why many of us at this site are suspicious or just dislike that site, so I responded as to why I personally felt this way, after years and years of observations (most of which have been backed up by other posters, yet I see scant few jumping to say otherwise).

That's all.

Anyway, I'll be definitely checking out POTC on the 20th, and looking forward to any new tweak. I'm very curious as to what format it would be, and exactly where in the attraction it would occur.

Anything filmed should be in the caverns, I'd think - before you enter the "reality" of the fight below.

flavious27

Again, I ask our "Jim Hill Grain of Salt" people to cite precedent?

People need to read his articles with the appropriate context. In this particular article he clearly stated the source of the information (Ian McShane), and then interpreted what McShane said.

Much of what Jim Hill does is speculate, but he does so with excellent information to lend credibility to his speculation. If people are unable to understand the difference between educated speculation and incorrect information that's their own fault.

If things posted on JimHillMedia.com should be taken with a grain of salt, so too should things officially announced by Disney. Their track records are comparable.

You mean that not everything on the internet is correct? Shocking! :eek:

AEfx

Original Poster
Rode yesterday and thought it would be cool to see some action scenes with Jack, not just him hiding.

Over in Eddie Sotto's thread he was joking (sort of, LOL) about a new Pirates ride, say in Shanghai. Actually based on the movies - a big show scene where Jack is riding the Kracken, various big battles from the film, etc.

At first blush many Disney fans may scream holly heck...until you start to think..."DAY-HUM! THAT'S A GOOD FRICKIN' IDEA!"

JimboJones123

Over in Eddie Sotto's thread he was joking (sort of, LOL) about a new Pirates ride, say in Shanghai. Actually based on the movies - a big show scene where Jack is riding the Kracken, various big battles from the film, etc.

At first blush many Disney fans may scream holly heck...until you start to think..."DAY-HUM! THAT'S A GOOD FRICKIN' IDEA!"

There is a LOT of dead space on the ride. Maybe a SWORD FIGHT with Jack escaping and going into hiding before the cannonball scene.

RSoxNo1

There is a LOT of dead space on the ride. Maybe a SWORD FIGHT with Jack escaping and going into hiding before the cannonball scene.

I thought I read somewhere that they have a sword fight in Paris.

Count me among those that didn't mind the movie additions to Pirates of the Caribbean, I think they were well executed for the most part with the exception of the last scene - I'd like to see it a bit more open.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom