Post-Disney Blues

ELG13

We plan another trip lol! Even if it's a few years out. But for those of you that worry about family trips...last year we started our own family trip and we pay my mom's way to go so she can experience it with her grandchildren and in return she let's us sneak off one night on our own!!! I promise y'all family trips aren't out the window once your kids grow up!!! They just change a little 😉

JoMarch

I tend to take an early fall trip - lately it's been late August/early September. By the time I get back the time seems to fly by so quickly from Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Usually around December, I start booking my next years trip (Merry Christmas to me!). The planning, strategy talks, THIS web site, etc take me through the rest of the year! In between, I love to watch YouTube clips. My favorites lately have been from the WDW Couple!

JosieBee

For me, I just try squeeze in a little Disney in my daily life. That may mean drinking from my Disney mugs, listening to Disney music in the car, watching some Disney vlogs when I get the chance, scrapbooking and making slideshows and movies of previous trips, planning my next trip, treating myself to some Disney merchandise bought online from time to time. I feel like having the Internet to watch vlogs, do Disney shopping, connect with other Disney lovers, stream Disney music, etc., has made it different since going in the days before the Internet became such a hug part of our daily lives. In some ways it is great to have all those things to help pass the time in between trips but in other ways, it just reminds me of how wonderful it all is and makes me want to go back so bad! LOL Also, I was only able to take my daughter once when she was young and now she is all grown and that doesn't mean it is over. I have gone with just my husband and had a blast, tagged along with other family members and had another blast, and have a baby grandchild, birthdays, anniversaries, family reunions, etc., that I am sure will be the focus of future trips! I'm sure it would feel weird to go without your grown kids but you and your significant other can use that extra money to do some of the more adult, romantic things you didn't get to do before. The trips don't have to end, they just need to change their shape a little.

Last edited:

laben594

• Start planning a trip and think of fun ways to save money for the trip (we have a little vacation jar where we put any and all extra change)
  • Youtube has some really great videos on there about the parks, so you end up learning something new as well
  • Go over menus on restaurants we haven't been to before
  • Look at pictures from previous trips
  • Go search all the fun retail there is out there. Not necessarily from Disney, but there is a ton of stuff on Etsy so you can gradually stock up for future trips
  • Follow Disney blogs and Instagrams
  • Randomly insert yourself into a conversation at work when you hear someone is going to Disney :hilarious:

KrzyKtty

Like others, I have fun dreaming and planning the next one! Next year though we are planning a trip to Disneyland instead for the first time.

Granted we are already talking about our next big trip to DW.

StarboardSide

This forum helps me!! A little Disney chat in the evening is delightful. Also, I retrace my footsteps at Disney in my mind as I drift off to sleep at night. It’s a wonderful and peaceful way to comfort my mind after a stressful day, and takes me back to all the warm memories of our vacation. I relive them over and over - some nights I go back to Epcot, some nights I’m arriving at Animal Kingdom... I go off to sleep with a smile.
And you will go back someday - Disney World isn’t going anywhere!

geekza

I've had two trips canceled, with one being only a month before we were scheduled to go. With needing to plan six months in advance now the norm, I had really been geared up to go. I had gone as far as researching backup batteries for my phone and adding other things to my Amazon cart. Both times, life got in the way and we couldn't afford to make our final payments and go. Let me tell you, there's nothing like the "I was supposed to go to Disney, but couldn't" blues. Working on twelve years since my last trip. I'm firmly middle-aged and my knees and back become less-cooperative with every passing year. Of course, the cost of going has risen with each year as well, contrary to my income.

We're making a third attempt at going this Thanksgiving. While I would have much preferred going during a quieter time, I'll just be happy if we finally get to go. After this, I don't know that another trip is in the cards for me unless I suddenly win the lottery. I've already asked my wife to cut me some slack if I want to ride The Haunted Mansion for what seems like the fiftieth time while we're there. I just want to take it all in like it's the last chance I'll have. You never know!

ELG13

I just hit the jackpot! I found 7 packs of Joffreys coffee I brought home with us in October!!! We leave for our next trip in roughly 100 days but I'm already getting sad about it being over! What the heck! I'm gonna try and rent DVC points for next year...hubs said this year was the last one for a while but I'm hoping I can convince him 2019 should be the last year and we can do an AK Savannah view!

diamond

We went in January 2017, and will never go back. It was DDs happy place and I looked forward to our annual pilgrimage to the Big Mouse Farm. It was a mother -daughter trip. I was talking to DH on the phone one morning, telling him what our plans were for the day, while DD got up and started her day. I excused myself while I checked on her, and she had gone into cardiac arrest. She was gone. I opened the door at Pop and hollered for 911, went back to her and started cpr. I did cpr for about 3 minutes and I know the paramedics did cpr on her for at least 4 minutes. Her eyes were open, her mouth was open but she was gone. It was worse than you can ever imagine. They were about to use the defibrillator, we all stood clear, but her heart started to beat before they used the paddles. She was conscious by the time she got on the gurney, and was Chatty Cathy by the time she got in the ambulance. At Celebration Hospital they were rejoicing, calling it a miracle. They expected her to be intubated, on life support, but because I had started the cpr right away there was no physical or cognitive impairment. She ended up at Florida Hospital. I was trying to manage but boy! it was so hard. DH had to get his passport before he could fly down to be with us. I could write a book. Anyway to make a long story short, DD was in Florida Hospital Orlando , for 17 days. It was a nightmare beyond description. Everytime I closed my eyes I would see cardboard caskets being loaded on airplanes. The night terrors have stopped, but everyday I think about it and cry. I miss WDW something terrible. DD misses it so much but I don't think she can comprehend that we will never go back. Even if the insurance company gave us the all clear, I know DH would be scared to death if we ever went. And it breaks my heart to even think about WDW. I've found for me, to just put it out of my mind. I don't look at pictures of WDW or even talk about it. Some friends wanted to talk about it last weekend, but I felt myself getting upset and changed the topic. Although the management at WDW was top notch, it was a very trying trip, and still makes me emotional.

geekza

^^^
How horrible for you and your family! I'm so glad that your daughter recovered. I hope that some day the terrible memories of that day soften and you are able to think on your previous trips and at least pull some good from them, even if you're never able to return.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
We went in January 2017, and will never go back. It was DDs happy place and I looked forward to our annual pilgrimage to the Big Mouse Farm. It was a mother -daughter trip. I was talking to DH on the phone one morning, telling him what our plans were for the day, while DD got up and started her day. I excused myself while I checked on her, and she had gone into cardiac arrest. She was gone. I opened the door at Pop and hollered for 911, went back to her and started cpr. I did cpr for about 3 minutes and I know the paramedics did cpr on her for at least 4 minutes. Her eyes were open, her mouth was open but she was gone. It was worse than you can ever imagine. They were about to use the defibrillator, we all stood clear, but her heart started to beat before they used the paddles. She was conscious by the time she got on the gurney, and was Chatty Cathy by the time she got in the ambulance. At Celebration Hospital they were rejoicing, calling it a miracle. They expected her to be intubated, on life support, but because I had started the cpr right away there was no physical or cognitive impairment. She ended up at Florida Hospital. I was trying to manage but boy! it was so hard. DH had to get his passport before he could fly down to be with us. I could write a book. Anyway to make a long story short, DD was in Florida Hospital Orlando , for 17 days. It was a nightmare beyond description. Everytime I closed my eyes I would see cardboard caskets being loaded on airplanes. The night terrors have stopped, but everyday I think about it and cry. I miss WDW something terrible. DD misses it so much but I don't think she can comprehend that we will never go back. Even if the insurance company gave us the all clear, I know DH would be scared to death if we ever went. And it breaks my heart to even think about WDW. I've found for me, to just put it out of my mind. I don't look at pictures of WDW or even talk about it. Some friends wanted to talk about it last weekend, but I felt myself getting upset and changed the topic. Although the management at WDW was top notch, it was a very trying trip, and still makes me emotional.
Geez. I understand why you don't want to go back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom