Post 1000...escapism

Goofyernmost

I don't know if there is a word specific for it, but escapism is probably pretty close. I don't conscientiously think about it that way, but I did always see it as a place where my inner child comes to the surface. I'll be 65 this July and I still enjoy things. I mean all things. You will never see me post something like I hate this ride, why is it still there. (well, except The Toad, but any comment on that will get me shot) No matter what it is, no matter how long it's been there, I still like it.

I'm not able to do like some and get so immersed that I believe what I'm seeing to be true. You know, like is this or that ride scary? Nothing is scary to me, shock wise, my adult brain insists that I know that this stuff isn't real. My child portion of the brain is amazed at what I'm seeing, not scared. Sometimes I wish that I could be more emotional about things but that's just not me. That doesn't prevent me from enjoying everything from SFR treehouse to Mission Space and everything in between. Whatever, it be, Tiki Room, CoP, PoTC, Haunted Mansion, The Muppets, ToT or RnRC. I look at everything with awe that they were able to create a 3D scene out of imagination. I don't, for a minute, think that the AA's are real people, but I am amazed at how much they look like they are. American Adventure blows me away. The 3D stuff in front of the film puts depth and reality in the show and I am sitting there marveling on how they did that. Who figured out how that would work. Soarin, Yes I've seen the dust bunnies but unless you concentrate on them they look more like a seagull flying in front of you then dust. I see right through it and love the scenery and the mechanics that made the ride possible.

I know that sounds like I'm giving Disney a short pass on quality, but, it's not that at all. I really don't want to concentrate on the 1% that's wrong, I want to see the 99% that makes me go, Wow! OK, so in many cases I have drunk the Kool Aid and bought right into supporting those that feel that they don't have to do anything because we will love it anyway, however, that's who I am. I recognize the problems it's just that for the most part, I don't let it bother me. I want to enjoy myself and that's exactly what I do, most of the time.

Gonzo79

I think escapism is a pretty good description for a WDW or any Disney vacation. I know when I'm there, I don't pay attention at all to anything going on in the outside world. I don't watch tv(other than resort channels), read a newspaper,and I definitely dont go on the internet. I immerse myself in everything that WDW has to offer while I'm there,and I dont come out until I'm home.

Amanda Ross

I always sing The Happy Working Song!
2a3.jpg

epcotisbest

Original Poster
Agree with most of these, but home and my hometown are a couple of thing I like to escape from...guess that stems from living somewhere I always wish I lived somewhere else. We stay here because wife wants to be close to her family. My family is not close, and I am not close to most of hers, so I guess my roots here don't run too deep.

wendysue

Agree with most of these, but home and my hometown are a couple of thing I like to escape from...guess that stems from living somewhere I always wish I lived somewhere else. We stay here because wife wants to be close to her family. My family is not close, and I am not close to most of hers, so I guess my roots here don't run too deep.

Ohhh, this hits home with me. As I posted elsewhere, it was 7 degrees here this morning and I'm tired of winter. But like you, we stayed where we are so my husband could be close to family, but I would love to move somewhere else, (gee, that sounds terrible, buy there is NOTHING in this town) so escaping to WDW is heaven.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom