Possible Walk Around the World Completion?

Pick145

Original Poster
This could be totally off base, but when I was looking at some aerial images I saw what appears to be a bridge next to the path to nowhere. The length seems to match up to the canal length.

Can someone tell me what the "bridge" actually is?

bridge2.PNG
bridge.PNG

Goofyernmost

Remember when WDW used to do all sorts of neat things for guests with zero discernible ROI?

How many decades has it been now....
I have gone on record before saying that I don't think it has anything to do with ROI. It has to do with #1 the fact that they need to raise an lower a bridge though that area and when placed against the actual usage of the path it would be foolish. You're talking about massive costs for only a few people. Other factors are security for walkers after dark either from other people or Florida wild life. Or the fact that after you have spent the day walking around MK do you really want to walk back to the GF at that point in time? And the fact that you can either take the monorail or a boat back to there, what would be the reason. Remember that the decision was made not to connect it back when all you Disney worshipers tell us that Disney was always doing the extra for the guest and the ROI factor is a relatively recent policy situation. In other words that ship sailed long before the accountants took over. They had a reason for not building it and it was probably because it was not needed nor was it going to be used enough to counter the possible problems that were likely to happen. Want to walk around a bend at night and come face to face with one of the Disney Gators or the Snakes that hang around the lagoon at night on the pavement trying to soak up the warmth that the walkways would have retained. Cold blooded critters tend to try and keep their body temperature warm when possible.

21stamps

I have gone on record before saying that I don't think it has anything to do with ROI. It has to do with #1 the fact that they need to raise an lower a bridge though that area and when placed against the actual usage of the path it would be foolish. You're talking about massive costs for only a few people. Other factors are security for walkers after dark either from other people or Florida wild life. Or the fact that after you have spent the day walking around MK do you really want to walk back to the GF at that point in time? And the fact that you can either take the monorail or a boat back to there, what would be the reason. Remember that the decision was made not to connect it back when all you Disney worshipers tell us that Disney was always doing the extra for the guest and the ROI factor is a relatively recent policy situation. In other words that ship sailed long before the accountants took over. They had a reason for not building it and it was probably because it was not needed nor was it going to be used enough to counter the possible problems that were likely to happen. Want to walk around a bend at night and come face to face with one of the Disney Gators or the Snakes that hang around the lagoon at night on the pavement trying to soak up the warmth that the walkways would have retained. Cold blooded critters tend to try and keep their body temperature warm when possible.
I don't think many people would use it. I wouldn't, and I don't mind walking. On the way to MK- the monorail stops at MK first, it's very quick. Way back- The boat stops at GF first, it's a quick ride, and a pretty one.

UncleFastpass

Please excuse my ignorance but what is " ROI" and how tall are the light show barges? Couldn't they build a bridge high enough for the light show to go under? With all the run Disney programs it would be cool if you could run around seven seas lagoon.

21stamps

Please excuse my ignorance but what is " ROI" and how tall are the light show barges? Couldn't they build a bridge high enough for the light show to go under? With all the run Disney programs it would be cool if you could run around seven seas lagoon.
Return on investment. You'll see that phrase being used in inappropriate ways several times on Disney sites ;)..this is one of the few times I've seen it used where it makes sense.lol

As far as the bridge, no. Well they could, but that would be one high bridge.. with lots of stairs.. I don't think that amount (or any) stairs would be beneficial to guests who choose to walk, or appreciated by Run Disney participants ;).

UncleFastpass

Return on investment. You'll see that phrase being used in inappropriate ways several times on Disney sites ;)..this is one of the few times I've seen it used where it makes sense.lol

As far as the bridge, no. Well they could, but that would be one high bridge.. with lots of stairs.. I don't think stairs would be beneficial to guests who choose to walk, or appreciated by Run Disney participants.
Thank you!

mm121

while i think it would be great if this connected, i know they will never do it for multiple reasons

i have to agree with parts of the post quoted below,

one issue i could see being a problem would be park security, as they wouldnt want people using this path to "'sneak" into the MK during closed hours especially since it has no gates or anything anymore

the way it is now they just have to keep an eye on the contemporary path, unless they do have some type of temporary barrier they use to block the park off when its closed that i'm unaware of

tigger1968

You also would need to construct a pathway from the GF to the canal, so that's an additional cost that I am sure that TDO would want to avoid. Unless they want to resurrect the "buy a brick" program again. Maybe if you pay enough you get to buy a stair on a pedestrian bridge over the canal? :rolleyes:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Or the fact that after you have spent the day walking around MK do you really want to walk back to the GF at that point in time? And the fact that you can either take the monorail or a boat back to there, what would be the reason. .
I don't see the walkway to the Contemproary empty. To the GF is only 500ft more, which is only the distance from the gate to Center St.

Not that this is happening of course.

Goofyernmost

I don't see the walkway to the Contemproary empty. To the GF is only 500ft more, which is only the distance from the gate to Center St.

Not that this is happening of course.
I'll take your word for the dimensions but, 500 ft., really? As the crow flies maybe, otherwise, I don't see entrance to entrance being anywhere near that. Visually I looks a lot further. That aside, the pathway between MK and Contemp. is not bordered on wilderness, swamp and critter habitat.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'll take your word for the dimensions but, 500 ft., really? As the crow flies maybe, otherwise, I don't see entrance to entrance being anywhere near that..
Yep. And following the edge of the water, not as the crow flies. Surprise!

(You didn't think I meant 500ft total did you? It's 500 more than the walk to the Contemp.)

Goofyernmost

Yep. And following the edge of the water, not as the crow flies. Surprise!

(You didn't think I meant 500ft total did you? It's 500 more than the walk to the Contemp.)
No I was figuring that in, but, it sure looks like more then that. It seems to take the Monorail a lot longer to get along side GF then from the Contemporary. I am not using myself as a measurement of anyone else, but, I know that I do not want to walk even 5 more steps, at the end of the day, then absolutely necessary.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom