Possible hint to new film for Soarin?

bgraham34

imagineer boy said:
I really hope they do this. I always cringe during Soarin' commercials when they say that you enjoy the sights and sounds of california ( even though you're in Florida which makes no sense. ) It would be much nicer if they had a "Soarin' Over the World" where you could fly over the world's more natural features, therefor, enforcing the Land Pavillion's message about preserving the earth.

I think it makes plenty of sense. In California would you not want to soar around someplace other than Cali.

wannab@dis

kcnole said:
I don't think it doesn't make sense to already have the film done. I'm just filling in the blanks and assuming that this columnist has good sources. If he doesn't, then none of this matters. If he does though, this is what I imagine.

Disney has always had plans to sometime update the film in Epcot. They've also got a greenlit plan to bring Soarin to Paris sometime in the future. The easiest thing to do is to make the same film for both of them. So they shoot the film of Soarin over the world. Now saying that it's in the can could have many meanings. It could just meant that the principal shots are complete but they all still have to be edited. Who knows how long that takes with this type film.

So, possibly the plan will be to unveil the new film as part of Epcots 25th birthday. That would be either late 2007 or early 2008 depending on when they unveil it. Then when they're ready to spend the money to build the ride system in Paris use the same film there. It wouldn't make any less sense to unveil the film in US a year or two before Paris. Especially since they've already done that with unveiling Californias version several years before Epcot got it. (If I'm remembering correctly).

How many visitors to Paris's park actually come to the states to Epcot. So the chance of the film being old hat to them because they've already seen it in Epcot would be slim.

Now I could just be going out on a limb here, but if this guys sources are correct, then it's fairly simple to just fill in the blanks as I have. I'm not saying I have any sources or this is what will happen, it just seems like it would make sense to do it that way. The only differences they'd need would be if they want to keep the Magic Kingdom shots at the ends of the ride. They'd just have to have one for Florida and one for Paris. Not much difference in the video and relatively easy to do.
Your logic doesn't have any holes in it at all IF what they said is true. :wave:

I'm just questioning the validity of having a complete film prior to ground breaking. Personally, that seems to throw a wrench into their rumor. :lol:

dxwwf3

I would be all for a new film, but I think we should let the current film at Epcot get some more years in before we see a change. It certainly isn't dated and the whole attraction feels new right now. However, if they are shooting another film for Paris, wouldn't it make sense to let it be over there for a while as a unique attraction to possibly give their version some special attention? Then after a few years they could bring it over. I mean, I've been on Soarin' about 25 times and I wouldn't be upset at all if they decided to change the film tomorrow, but it doesn't seem it is really necessary right now.

BTW, they gotta use the same Goldsmith score in any new film. Possibly the best Disney audio ever :)

carolina_yankee

Would Soarin' over the World have to debut in Paris? It might not be so off if the debut were at Epcot during 25th anniversary celebration, which could make it only 18 months or so before a Parish debut.

I would love Soarin' over the World, but the California film doesn't bother me so much if you connect it with the Land Pavilion. California is one of the few states that represents the diversity of climates and topographies found throughout the world.

Miss Bell

The California thing doesn't bother me either, I think becuase I'm not thinking of it specifically as Cali, just as beautiful scenery. If they updated it in a few years, that would be okay--but I'd like to ride it a few more times as is, before they change it.

socalkdg

wannab@dis said:
I'm just questioning the validity of having a complete film prior to ground breaking. Personally, that seems to throw a wrench into their rumor. :lol:
Unless the rumor for Paris started because they recently filmed for Epcot. :animwink:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
A thought... Soarin at Epcot has an unused queue that is identicle to the regular standby queue and Epcot just started operating, successfully, M:S with 2 standby queues and a FP that splits.

MMP

I think Soarin' should get a new video every few years, it's so easy for ride videos like that to seem dated after a while.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
wannab@dis said:
Well... if the project is not supposed to be done until 2009/2010, why would they have already created the film for it? That doesn't make a lot of sense. If it's done (or being worked on) then yes, it would be great for an update to the Epcot version.

Possibly due to Omnimax schedules - the theatres are more popoular than ever now (worldwide) and I assume only a few cameras exist. Not to mention the time it can take just to shoot an aerial Omnimax film, let alone edit it. Perhaps just principle photography is complete? Or perhaps the attraction was slated to open earlier - if the plan exists placing it in an alternate WDSP with ToT at the end of Sunset it sounds like the planning and scheduling got rethought.

Just a thought.

imagineer99

Gosh, I'm ready for a new film. I'm one of those people that really wasn't impressed by Soarin' (especially the awkward jumps between show scenes). I think a new film representing a broader landscape and message would be super. And, it would be nice to have a decent transition here and there. ;)

M:SpilotISTC12

It wouldnt surprise me if they let you pick were you want to "Soar". I remember a while ago reading that they might have another theather. Maybe they could add Florida and the World and make the queue like an airport because they could have an airport theme. But that is what I think they could do. It would solve all the rumors about Soarin.

Shaman

I like Soarin' over America more...at least first...before Soarin' over the world...The rumor makes sense though...lets see what happens.

Now the question should be...when will the M:S video be replaced? I want training for a new planet. :lookaroun

kcnole

Original Poster
The only thing that really bothers me about the current soarin is how it ends with flying over Disneyland. Now I love Disneyland, but I'm at WDW, I want to fly over the Magic Kingdom or SSE (minus the wand) with fireworks in the background, not the park on the other side of the country.

Thessair

kcnole said:
The only thing that really bothers me about the current soarin is how it ends with flying over Disneyland. Now I love Disneyland, but I'm at WDW, I want to fly over the Magic Kingdom or SSE (minus the wand) with fireworks in the background, not the park on the other side of the country.

Oddly enough, that's exactly why I like the Disneyland fly over. I'm at WDW so I get to see that the whole time I'm there. Granted, not from that angle though. Since I've only had the opportunity to visit Disneyland one time, I enjoy seeing it in the ride film. We all have our own tastes. :D

kevlightyear

kcnole said:
Disney has always had plans to sometime update the film in Epcot.

Has this been proven? And if so, don't you think they would keep the current film for as long as they can before switching it? Personally, I don't see this happening anytime soon.

alya922

I'd love a choice between the two films, though I'm not sure how realistic I'm being saying that. I enjoy the California film...the scent of the pine trees, feeling like your feet are going to touch the water, etc. I'm a huge fan of the ride how it is but I'd love it if they made it even better! I'm with you though, kcnole, I'd much rather end over Disney World than Disneyland :)

kcnole

Original Poster
I haven't heard one rumor with any credibility that has even suggested it would be soarin over Florida. The two rumors with any feet seem to be either soarin over the world or over America. I've heard both as potentials from people with sources that I trust.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom