Possible hint to new film for Soarin?

kcnole

Original Poster
Now I'm not sure how reliable of a columnist Peter Bell is, but for those of you who have not read his article over on Miceage today regarding the future of Disney Studios in Paris, there is some very interesting information contained in the article.

He is giving information on rides and attractions that should be coming to Disney Studios Paris over the next few years. One of them is an attraction called "Soarin Over The World". This is one of the things he had to say about it in his article:

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">
By that time, construction on Soarin' Over The World would be well underway. The ride has already been given the provisional green light, which means the groundbreaking can take place as soon as visitor targets are met. I am told that the film is already in the can and, as the name suggests, constitutes a hang glider voyage across some of the world's most famous landscapes, including Manhattan Island, the Great Wall of China and the Serengeti Plains. If all goes well, the opening date would be 2009/2010.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Now allow me to extrapolate for a few moments on this quote. IF this information he presents is correct, then we can only truly assume that this version of the ride will probably replace the current Soarin' we have in Epcot. We've heard rumors over the past year of a possible soarin over the world which would fit much better in the theme of Epcot. If the film is already in the can as he suggests then it would be fairly simple for Epcot to switch to this version during their 25th.

Just some more fuel for the fire. Feel free to discuss or if you'd like to read the article, it can be found here:

http://www.miceage.com/guest/gu071806a.htm

Frank Stallone

It's pretty much a done deal. When your choices are "Soarin over the World" or "Soarin over Florida", I think it's pretty clear which one they'll choose.

DisneyRoxMySox

Frank Stallone said:
It's pretty much a done deal. When your choices are "Soarin over the World" or "Soarin over Florida", I think it's pretty clear which one they'll choose.

You know, I am begining to like you.

Maybe we should start a 'Who is Frank Stallone?' thread!

:lookaroun

CrashNet

Frank Stallone said:
Not necessarily. I think kcnole was suggesting that Soarin' over the World could be a possibility for EPCOT because of World Showcase and the partcipating countries.

kcnole

Original Poster
yes, but that's not the debate I'm looking into here as to what film would be better. What I was pointing out is that according to the article on that site, a film for soarin over the world has already been made for Paris. There's been much debate as to whether Soarin over California would be replaced anytime soon due to the cost of filming this. If one that soars over the world has already been filmed, then it would make common sense that this would happen at this point.

CrashNet

kcnole said:
yes, but that's not the debate I'm looking into here as to what film would be better. What I was pointing out is that according to the article on that site, a film for soarin over the world has already been made for Paris. There's been much debate as to whether Soarin over California would be replaced anytime soon due to the cost of filming this. If one that soars over the world has already been filmed, then it would make common sense that this would happen at this point.
They might even be considering having multiple films and sequences so they can interchange them. Pretty cool idea to me. ;)

wannab@dis

kcnole said:
Well... if the project is not supposed to be done until 2009/2010, why would they have already created the film for it? That doesn't make a lot of sense. If it's done (or being worked on) then yes, it would be great for an update to the Epcot version.

SirNim

wannab@dis said:
Well... if the project is not supposed to be done until 2009/2010, why would they have already created the film for it? That doesn't make a lot of sense. If it's done (or being worked on) then yes, it would be great for an update to the Epcot version.
...Unless the film will also be used for Epcot's Soarin'.

Sounds reasonable to me.

wannab@dis

SirNim said:
...Unless the film will also be used for Epcot's Soarin'.

Sounds reasonable to me.
Right... but that fact was left out of the miceage article which leads one to suspect the whole articles lacks credibility. The idea that it might be used at Epcot was brought up by KCNOLE and not the article. It makes sense IF the film had already been made, but since the attraction is not set for completion until 2009, the film being complete doesn't seem very credible.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here... I'd love to see a new film. :D

erasure fan1

Bring on the new film! That would be great, I do like the original film but it just doesnt fit that well to epcot. Soarin' over the world would be very cool and in a perfect world they could make 2 or 3 versions with different stuff in it and alternate between them. How cool would that be!

casconi

wannab@dis said:
You would need to have the film done first so that you can coordinate the simulator with the video that is playing...that is what will take the time, and determine the movements necessarry, size of screen, placement of ride...etc..

LilRoo714

Maybe what's going to take til 2009 is the building of the physical attraction in Paris, not the filming... therefore the filming could be done but with nothing to show it on yet, they're taking until 2009. My only question would be, would Disney premier a film at WDW a whole 3 years before the Paris attraction debuts? That to me would seem like a problem...:lookaroun

imagineer boy

I really hope they do this. I always cringe during Soarin' commercials when they say that you enjoy the sights and sounds of california ( even though you're in Florida which makes no sense. ) It would be much nicer if they had a "Soarin' Over the World" where you could fly over the world's more natural features, therefor, enforcing the Land Pavillion's message about preserving the earth.

peter11435

imagineer boy said:
I always cringe during Soarin' commercials when they say that you enjoy the sights and sounds of california ( even though you're in Florida which makes no sense.

No less sense than taking a boat ride through Mexico or a Limo ride through LA.

FigmentJedi

Also, this new film might use some of the footage of the California one. Like Yosimite and the Pacific coast stuff and the other natural features in the film. And it would be good if they brought it to the Land because again, environments around the globe would go better with the Land's conservation theme and the queue wouldn't have to change much considering the environmental trivia stuff already there.

cmatt

oh f*ckin hell yes! nothing but good news for dlrp - and the studios - with the tower of terror opening up... soon ;)

wannab@dis

casconi said:
You would need to have the film done first so that you can coordinate the simulator with the video that is playing...that is what will take the time, and determine the movements necessarry, size of screen, placement of ride...etc..
Not sure that I agree... The coordination of the ride NEEDS the ride to be complete. I don't see the film NEEDING to be done 3 years prior to the attraction being open for those items. That's more of a test and adjust scenario. The attraction would be the same with just a different programmed ride behavior.

kcnole

Original Poster
I don't think it doesn't make sense to already have the film done. I'm just filling in the blanks and assuming that this columnist has good sources. If he doesn't, then none of this matters. If he does though, this is what I imagine.

Disney has always had plans to sometime update the film in Epcot. They've also got a greenlit plan to bring Soarin to Paris sometime in the future. The easiest thing to do is to make the same film for both of them. So they shoot the film of Soarin over the world. Now saying that it's in the can could have many meanings. It could just meant that the principal shots are complete but they all still have to be edited. Who knows how long that takes with this type film.

So, possibly the plan will be to unveil the new film as part of Epcots 25th birthday. That would be either late 2007 or early 2008 depending on when they unveil it. Then when they're ready to spend the money to build the ride system in Paris use the same film there. It wouldn't make any less sense to unveil the film in US a year or two before Paris. Especially since they've already done that with unveiling Californias version several years before Epcot got it. (If I'm remembering correctly).

How many visitors to Paris's park actually come to the states to Epcot. So the chance of the film being old hat to them because they've already seen it in Epcot would be slim.

Now I could just be going out on a limb here, but if this guys sources are correct, then it's fairly simple to just fill in the blanks as I have. I'm not saying I have any sources or this is what will happen, it just seems like it would make sense to do it that way. The only differences they'd need would be if they want to keep the Magic Kingdom shots at the ends of the ride. They'd just have to have one for Florida and one for Paris. Not much difference in the video and relatively easy to do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom