Possible Change to Evening EMH Policy

Personally, I think they should do away with EMH all together and give priority fast pass use to Resort guests. This would be a major perk for all Resort guests that could be used at every park during regular operating hours every day. I realize that was an issue brought up and debated ad nauseam some time back and I don't want to divert off topic here, but that's my opinion.

I'd love to see Morning EMH be for all resort guests and have selected Evening EMH return the separate hard ticket E-Ride Nights. There were times when the parks were practically EMPTY on those nights at the MK back in the day. Those were times when being in the parks later was VERY magical.

Brian Noble

Sure, but EMH isn't about giving people exclusive, magical access to the parks. EMH is about convincing people to stay in Disney-owned rooms, or rooms at hotels that pay Disney dearly for the privilege.

Sure, but EMH isn't about giving people exclusive, magical access to the parks. EMH is about convincing people to stay in Disney-owned rooms, or rooms at hotels that pay Disney dearly for the privilege.

True, but the hard ticket E-Ride nights were only available to Disney Resort guests and could ONLY be purchased while you were at the Resort, there were no pre-sales to guests before they reached property. People would still stay at Disney Resorts if they had this option and it was the only way to purchase the tickets.

If you read the posts on this forum, you'll read that EMH is only one of many of reasons people stay on the Disney property, as compared to off. When EMH were the payed E-ticket nights, people still stayed on property. Every little perk does make the stay on site more valuable It is the Goal of Disney to keep guests on the property, they really do make more money that way. Thats why its a for-profit-business.

.....and on a second topic....

And im really tired of people camparing the policies of a theme park with less than half the attendance of the Magic Kingdom. Policies are way different, and so is almost everything else, when you campare a park with under 8 million visitors, with one with well over 16 million visitors a year.

Brian Noble

Perhaps, but the E-Ride nights were much less of a draw, empirically. Occupancy is at 90% these days, and the Destination Disney program---ME, DDP, the MYW ticket structure, and EMH---all play into it. But, if you ask people why they stay on-property, most people mention EMH and the transportation system, and those are the two things most consistently pugged in the DVD advertisement, er, vacation planner.

there were no pre-sales to guests before they reached property.
This is actually a negative, in Disney's eyes. Rasulo gave a presentation to institutional investors in 2003. One of the tidbits from that presentation:
Research shows that guests drop things from their itinerary once they arrive instead of adding experiences to their vacation. Because of this, it is important to Disney that guests purchase their experiences from home.
It's a really good read, for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.
http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID507040.asp

dpunky

They do have handheld scanners that can determine whether the room key is valid. I'd assume they don't use them all the time due to the extra time it takes for the process.

Any system that Disney employs will take time to validate a valid keycard from an invalid keycard. If you ask CMs to validate Keycards on ride entry, then you'll slow down the entrance to rides, which is not a good thing either. The other the problem besides keycard validation is the item that you are going to use to identify a valid EMH visitor. I've seen posts where visitors where uncomfortable wearing the wristband. Maybe Disney needs to distribute special lanyards that have unique VIP passes on them for the night. These VIP passes can have a barcode or some sort of scanable technology that will identify valid passes from invalid passes.

Whatever technology or identification method WDW employs, they will still have to deal with non-resort guests that refuse to leave the park during EMH days even when told to leave.

If every guest entering the fast pass lane can have the dates and times read on the fast pass, is it that hard for every EMH guest to have the date read on a room key? I have never seen the lines slowed that much for the fast pass reading(except by guests that think 4:00 means 4:10). Im all in facor of having a CM read a date on a room key, i just dont see this slowing the lines all that much, compared to the numbers of day guests reprtedly sneaking into the rides after hours. It takes seconds, for a CM to check a date on the room keys, when you do it all day, it becomes very easy to check a date, make the dates bigger if you have to, I think this is actually a good idea the more i think about it.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I'm having a hard time understanding how the bracelet is uncomfortable. :shrug: :veryconfu

And how it could be hard for CMs to see the bracelets--they are bright neon colors (except for the purple, I can understand it might be hard to see that one in the dark) :veryconfu

Eyorefan

I'm having a hard time understanding how the bracelet is uncomfortable. :shrug: :veryconfu

And how it could be hard for CMs to see the bracelets--they are bright neon colors (except for the purple, I can understand it might be hard to see that one in the dark) :veryconfu

I agree. I have worn these types of braclets for a number of things and I don't see how they are so uncomfertable that mobs of people have complained about them.

To step into another part of this, I have stayed on property for every Disney vacation I have taken since I was 3 and I have gone to ONE evening EMH. So I don't think that it is a huge factor for why so many people are now staying on property. I think the fact that they now have value and moderate priced resorts a long with free transpertaion has a lot more to do with the high occupencey rates than the offer of EMH.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
As an example I visited the park in `93 with my then finace. She couldn`t wear the PI bracelet since it triggered a memory we`d both gone to WDW to try to forget.
If every guest entering the fast pass lane can have the dates and times read on the fast pass, is it that hard for every EMH guest to have the date read on a room key?
It could be - FastPass is a park-specific, local net. Room checks would be property wide, possible even needing a tie to the CRO.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
A scanning system at every ride is the only way to go to insure that only resort guest are riding...that being said -
How about a wrist band with bar code...Hmm I guess it might move around a little bit but easier than pulling out an ID. But come on - you have turnstile like the ones at the main gate - pass the wrist band over..bam you're in.

Id have to confer, that with well over 20,000 rooms, which means 40,000 to 60,000 guests per day having this available, it wouldnt be much of a perk.

On this - I always stay on site, and I always thought the FASTPASS should be a perk for resort guests staying onsite as well.(especially after reading that everyone can use the transportation - and how amazingly crowed the EMH are).. that being said, sure with all the people at the resorts (40 - 60 thousand) it's a lot of people using fast pass...But quite a few less than compared to how it is now: EVERYONE in the park----no???

jasong618

guys

it is MUCH easier for non resort guests to get in without needing a bracelet.

With the bracelet system one scan on your room key said you got on bracelet and whether you used it or gave it away you cant get another because the PDA's are linked.

Anyone can have multiple room keys. I could go to the front desk every day and say I lost my key, meanwhile give them out to friends staying off property.

There must be another reason this is being tested. I do agree the wristbands waste a lot of plastic. They are not recycled.

Disney needs to come up with a system that is inexpensive, fast, easily validated and reusable.

Perhaps, but the E-Ride nights were much less of a draw, empirically. Occupancy is at 90% these days, and the Destination Disney program---ME, DDP, the MYW ticket structure, and EMH---all play into it. But, if you ask people why they stay on-property, most people mention EMH and the transportation system, and those are the two things most consistently pugged in the DVD advertisement, er, vacation planner.

This is actually a negative, in Disney's eyes. Rasulo gave a presentation to institutional investors in 2003. One of the tidbits from that presentation:

It's a really good read, for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.
http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID507040.asp

Rasulo may have said that, but Hard Ticket E-Ride Night Tickets were NEVER available for purchase unless you were already checking in, or checked into your hotel room.

DisneyJoe

Anyone can have multiple room keys. I could go to the front desk every day and say I lost my key, meanwhile give them out to friends staying off property.

There is a limit - after so many, they will charge you to replace your room key, especially if you keep "losing" them.

jasong618

I have never been charged for extra room keys, but if you think about it, 1 extra room key is one more person than you can probably get away with using the bracelet ID scan. When it boils down to it, disney doesnt want to upset anyone, they will make you that extra room key or even give you an extra bracelet if you complain enough and claim the bracelet broke and is lost.

ypcat

If you say you lost your room key, they will disable the first one before giving you a new one. I would think they would scan as invalid when getting wristbands.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom