Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
From what I know, the proposal being eyed the most is to replace the film but leave the theater as is. The replacement would sadly be IP, but the proposal to make it a Rat queue is at the #3 spot.
Would the replacement be film, or some sort of live/puppet/animatronic thing?

Last edited:

donsullivan

Premium Member
So why not add Rat AND keep IDF? It's more than possible. I really hope it's the route the take.

It's also pains when "investments" fall short and are inferior than what they replace.

Not suggesting the two concepts are mutually exclusive. Simply stating that, although disappointed to see it go, I do not expect I personally would spend the next 5 years beating a drum complaining about it

Inferior is in the eye of the beholder. For example; outside of a rabid small group of theme park fans, many (they don't frequent places like here) would suggest that Frozen in Norway was a big positive change. Sometimes we need to step away from our personal preferences and look at the much, much larger rest of the audience. It's that audience Disney is catering to and their financial performance seems to suggest it's working.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Not suggesting the two concepts are mutually exclusive. Simply stating that, although disappointed to see it go, I do not expect I personally would spend the next 5 years beating a drum complaining about it

Inferior is in the eye of the beholder. For example; outside of a rabid small group of theme park fans, many (they don't frequent places like here) would suggest that Frozen in Norway was a big positive change. Sometimes we need to step away from our personal preferences and look at the much, much larger rest of the audience. It's that audience Disney is catering to and their financial performance seems to suggest it's working.
Stupid guests. What do they know? They'd be happy if Frozenstrom were in Disney Springs. Or DAK. Some people can see further into and appreciate the details more than others.

They also queue for the Dwarf Coaster, oblivious to the fact it should have been better.

Kman101

I can't disa
Stupid guests. What do they know? They'd be happy if Frozenstrom were in Disney Springs. Or DAK. Some people can see further into and appreciate the details more than others.

They also queue for the Dwarf Coaster, oblivious to the fact it should have been better.

I don't disagree but we're not the only guests who go the park. I wish it were up to you and me but it isn't. I don't agree with most of what they've put out in recent years but to call them all "stupid guests" ......

Kman101

Well known fact is that important people do read this forum yes. Change minds? Not likely but knowing there is another view other than there own can clear ones head.

Unfortunately they don't care about us. They probably sit there and laugh at us. I wish they listened to us. We can choose to be upset and hate everything they put out ... but what does it ultimately accomplish? I'm not agreeing with what they've done, not most of it, but they do what they want. Does it mean it's right? No, but those who run the parks aren't run by people who care. We should focus on that. Change at the top, change in management, that's what needs to happen. All of us hating everything doesn't really fix anything ....

Kman101

Indeed we're not. But there's no reason why all types can't be catered for. Those who want to appreciate the built environment, a 17 minute motion picture masterpiece or intricate themeing.

And those who want 3 minute thrill rides.

I agree. I wish they would. The fact that they zoom in on the 12 year olds in the commercials tells me all I need to know and I cringe everytime. And it's clear the seats on Mine Train were designed for children and not adults. The fact that we get restaurants and elaborate meet and greets over rides also tells me everything I need to know. I hate it. I do.

I don't like the IP invasion in Epcot but I'm not going to hate on Rat coming. I'll probably like it a bit less if it results in IDF leaving, which it shouldn't. I don't agree with GMR going for Mickey, for a variety of reasons. They're making short-sighted decisions looking for a quick fix. I understand where donsullivan is coming from but he's not seeing as they are, they want quick fixes, they don't care about theme. And they should. Just because the guests eat up Frozen doesn't mean it was the right decision to put it in Epcot.

But we've had the invasion of toons and IP in Epcot for decades now. It's not going away as much as we fight it.

It's also not living in the past or clinging to nostalgia. It's wanting them to give us quality attractions that fit the park. I'm generalizing for sure but if the replacements were anywhere near as good as the originals there wouldn't be as much of a problem (mostly). Nemo was a lame quick fix that could have been better. Guardians is a quick fix that deserves better. Frozen deserved better. We deserved better than an elaborate Belle meet and greet, when Tokyo gives their guests a full Beasts castle AND a ride.

They don't get it and I wish they did.

donsullivan

Premium Member

You loose me at calling those who have a different viewpoint, "stupid guests". There are a whole lot more of them making their perspective more valid. The Disney fan community has developed a reputation of only negative feedback which stopped being constructive years ago.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You loose me at calling those who have a different viewpoint, "stupid guests". There are a whole lot more of them making their perspective more valid. The Disney fan community has developed a reputation of only negative feedback which stopped being constructive years ago.
It was a play on the phrase "They're tourists. What do they know?"
Mixed with the often joked about questions asked by guests to cast members. And also a nod to the dumbing down of society as a whole.

If the fan community has developed a reputation (in whos eyes?) they can't all be wrong.

Kman101

In who's eyes? Those who probably matter at the park. They do read these boards, no?

And yes, sorry but sometimes it does come off as bitter and negative. Not always intended, I know, we all care at the end of the day, moreso than those in charge do. I can be negative at times too over things I don't like but sometimes it does come off that way. And no that doesn't mean everything is pixie dust and sunshine and roses. I've personally found a lot to complain about and be negative about but I often see it thrown out there about rides being cut due to budget and I don't like it either but that doesn't mean what's put out is the worst thing ever. Some do enjoy Mine Train. It's a fun little ride for what it is. I wish it were more but I'm not going to dislike it because it could have been more than it was. I'm not going to dislike the rides in Pandora because the boat ride was cut 30% or that the bike coaster or whatever "headliner" planned didn't come to fruition. Am I disappointed? Yes, very much so. I wish the ride were longer but it does come off as knocking things and being negative. Sorry but that's how I see it. There are valid complaints but when we whine about certain things, and I do too, who will take us seriously?

britain

In who's eyes? Those who probably matter at the park. They do read these boards, no?

And yes, sorry but sometimes it does come off as bitter and negative. Not always intended, I know, we all care at the end of the day, moreso than those in charge do. I can be negative at times too over things I don't like but sometimes it does come off that way. And no that doesn't mean everything is pixie dust and sunshine and roses. I've personally found a lot to complain about and be negative about but I often see it thrown out there about rides being cut due to budget and I don't like it either but that doesn't mean what's put out is the worst thing ever. Some do enjoy Mine Train. It's a fun little ride for what it is. I wish it were more but I'm not going to dislike it because it could have been more than it was. I'm not going to dislike the rides in Pandora because the boat ride was cut 30% or that the bike coaster or whatever "headliner" planned didn't come to fruition. Am I disappointed? Yes, very much so. I wish the ride were longer but it does come off as knocking things and being negative. Sorry but that's how I see it. There are valid complaints but when we whine about certain things, and I do too, who will take us seriously?

I hear what you're saying. Knowing that Big Thunder was meant to be built on top of Western River Expedition doesn't make Big Thunder a negative experience. But it's one thing to have big plans that get shortened, and another thing to diminish what's already there to make room for some big plan. IDF is one of my most favorite attractions at WDW, and they could easily freshen it up and retain the guests who like that sort of thing rather than get rid of it.

nor'easter

I tend not to be as much of a purest as many around here when it comes to the evolution of guests and the need for the parks to evolve and change as well. I sometimes attribute that to age in that I never experienced the parks as a kid. My first visit was in 1981 as an adult. I continued visiting all these years, but always as an adult (maybe not always acting like one) so I don't have the childhood attachment to attractions many do. There are certainly parts from the early years of each park that I enjoyed but I also enjoy many of the new things that have come along as well.

I just think too much of the fan community never wants change and at the same time complains they are not investing.

As much as I enjoy Impressions de France, I also understand that in a YouTube world this sort of thing is not as unique and special as it was in 1982.
This isn't a childhood attachment. It is unique, and beautiful, and sophisticated, and grand, and moving....you cannot get that experience on YouTube or your smart phone.

lazyboy97o

I can't disa

I don't disagree but we're not the only guests who go the park. I wish it were up to you and me but it isn't. I don't agree with most of what they've put out in recent years but to call them all "stupid guests" ......
"Stupid guests" is far more honest than the oft invoked "general public" or "average guest." Saying people don't and won't know and care is saying they're stupid, but trying to elevate it to some superior position.

Last edited:

Nickels5

In short. Removing IDF for queue space (that's not needed since a viable alternative also exists) would be a short sighted, idiotic mistake. As bad as a proposal for the Canadian showcase that I won't go into unless it's announced.

IMHO.
You cant drop a bomb like that and not give us any details? I assume it would have to do with the removal of the show? Would we be getting another attraction to replace it?

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
In short. Removing IDF for queue space (that's not needed since a viable alternative also exists) would be a short sighted, idiotic mistake. As bad as a proposal for the Canadian showcase that I won't go into unless it's announced.

IMHO.
The film is getting an update? Wasn't the last film update for this, like 20 or 30 something years after they announced and addressed it needed an update or re-themed? Hmm? Log Flume Brother Bear?

clemmo

IMHO.
Now a rumor for Canada? Is the U.K. Rumor still alive too?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom