Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

ToTBellHop

A new movie that focuses on Provence, the south of France.

This way we can learn all about a provincial town and if there's more to this provincial life.
Let's take the more nuanced approach and have Emma Watson show us that the Paris of her childhood is gone.

French Ewan McGregor sings the theme song?

Bocabear

Let's take the more nuanced approach and have Emma Watson show us that the Paris of her childhood is gone.

French Ewan McGregor sings the theme song?
Or how about just updating some of the film clips and leaving the heart of the movie intact...The film is about the enduring beauty and rich never-changing traditions of the French people...so while some things do change, the heart of the country is still deeply traditional...

ToTBellHop

Or how about just updating some of the film clips and leaving the heart of the movie intact...The film is about the enduring beauty and rich never-changing traditions of the French people...so while some things do change, the heart of the country is still deeply traditional...
How does that drive sales and BRAND loyalty?

Fox&Hound

Yes. Folks are giving them too much credit suggesting they opted for Rat because BatB is represented elsewhere. My understanding is that when BatB was predicted to hit $100m in its first weekend and earn $700m total, they opted for the cheaper, quicker-to-build Rat due to a contrived time constraint (my personal theory is that they picked it to help with Star Wars crowds and have tabled the Mickey LPS). The stage show at DHS would then get its planned, and very necessary upgrades. Now that BatB is a global phenomenon, perhaps priorities will change, but I admit it would take a lot of shifting and money--not only the pricier ride for Epcot with a new ride system, but they'd also have the commence the Mickey LPS at the same time. One must not ignore the operational issues at DHS if GMR closes that could be avoided by instead building an LPS a mile northeast.

As you say, if they change their minds, that change must occur quickly. Which has occurred before.

They could not possibly care less that BatB is in MK. Every decision is based upon anticipated return and which park has a need and where. The last thing MK needs is more in Fantasyland at present. Expansion, if anywhere, will occur at the west or east fringes (likely east).

Wait, maybe I missed this. @MansionButler84 , are you saying that we either get Rat or Mickey, but not both? Or that Mickey will come but at a later time because they would have Rat at the moment to satisfy guests?

Fox&Hound

Count me in a small minority, but I don't think they need a ride in order to do BatB justice. I love Be our Guest and Gaston's is a great little nook in NFL and we eat there every time we are in MK. I love the look of Belle's cottage and eating at Be Our Guest. I feel like the movie is well-represented. And yes, I fully understand why many adults would hate on Belle's M&G and bemoan the use of space, but if you ask my three-year-old daughter, meeting Belle and acting in that skit for her was the highlight of her trip. I like that not everything is a ride. I think by giving us the music in Philharmagic, the food options in NFL, a show in DHS, and the meet and greet, BatB has excellent representation. Wouldn't a ride just repeat the same scenarios? Of look, we ride in a teacup and get to look at the ballroom scene or ride past Gaston's (oh wait, that is literally around the corner). What can they represent that they have not already done so? What other iconic moments do you want to experience? Or does it only count if you are siting in a vehicle and driving past such scenes in an omnimover? I haven't ridden the new ride yet, obviously, but I firmly believe their are multiple ways to represent and do justice to a film and I think a ride is simply one of the ways.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Why would they? Why would they spend all that money when the movies already made them money? When the movies already represented multiple times across property?

And why would they spend more money to develop a different ride for Epcot when the proposal has been paid for, the plans are ready to go and the R&D is done? And again, when BatB is already represented across property.

Rat is so far advanced I'd be surprised if it were cancelled now. Given the corporate climate.
Using that logic, however, it'd be just as likely they'd put in a "Remy's Dessert Cart Round-up" as a Dumbo/Aladdin clone...

Mike S

Count me in a small minority, but I don't think they need a ride in order to do BatB justice. I love Be our Guest and Gaston's is a great little nook in NFL and we eat there every time we are in MK. I love the look of Belle's cottage and eating at Be Our Guest. I feel like the movie is well-represented. And yes, I fully understand why many adults would hate on Belle's M&G and bemoan the use of space, but if you ask my three-year-old daughter, meeting Belle and acting in that skit for her was the highlight of her trip. I like that not everything is a ride. I think by giving us the music in Philharmagic, the food options in NFL, a show in DHS, and the meet and greet, BatB has excellent representation. Wouldn't a ride just repeat the same scenarios? Of look, we ride in a teacup and get to look at the ballroom scene or ride past Gaston's (oh wait, that is literally around the corner). What can they represent that they have not already done so? What other iconic moments do you want to experience? Or does it only count if you are siting in a vehicle and driving past such scenes in an omnimover? I haven't ridden the new ride yet, obviously, but I firmly believe their are multiple ways to represent and do justice to a film and I think a ride is simply one of the ways.
Belle should've just been stuck in at Fairytale Hall with the other Princesses or had a much smaller scale M&G like Ariel's. There's no reason to waste so much space on M&Gs. Kids like your daughter eventually grow up and as Walt said, "you're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are just kids grown up anyway." A ride is something the whole family enjoys together for the majority. A M&G is something people would draw straws on to see who's the unlucky SOB that has to sit through it with little Susie while everyone else enjoys the park. Or everyone is forced to do it and stay together as a family whether they want to or not. It's also my opinion that after NFL both the Mermaid and B&tB shows in DHS should've been closed and replaced with newer offerings, one of them Tangled.

Last edited:

Princess Leia

Belle should've just been stuck in at Fairytale Hall with the other Princesses or had a much smaller scale M&G like Ariel's. There's no reason to waste so much space on M&Gs. Kids like your daughter eventually grow up and as Walt said, "you're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are just kids grown up anyway." A ride is something the whole family enjoys together for the majority. A M&G is something people would draw straws on to see who's the unlucky SOB that has to sit through it with little Susie while everyone else enjoys the park. Or everyone is forced to do it and stay together as a family whether they want to or not. It's also my opinion that after NFL both the Mermaid and B&tB shows in DHS should've been closed and replaced with newer offerings, one of them Tangled.
Enchanted Tales (or at least the original incarnation of it) has a bit of a sweet spot in my heart. Back in the olden days of 199something, my family went on a trip, went to the original version of Enchanted Tales (where Merida is now), and one of my favorite Disney memories was created. While my sister and I weren't chosen to be a part of Belle's story, my dad was chosen to be the Beast. We have it on film somewhere, but he got really into the part.

I think it's nice to have a variety of things to do at Disney (rides, shows, interactions like this), and at least this is more entertaining than waiting in a 3 hour line to meet Cinderella.

In full agreement about the DHS shows. Idk why BatB isn't getting a movie-esque update, or an enclosed theater to do a longer show. A 45 minute, detailed musical a la Aladdin or Frozen is needed at that park. Little Mermaid should definitely bow out for Tangled or Moana.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom