Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
YES! Then that means I am Canadian because I live 20 mins from Jamestown VA, which was once a town called Werowocomoco, where she was born/lived.;)

It's time we dismantle this human contrivance of national borders as sacrosanct delimiters of human tribes and cultures. A national border can incorporate peoples of distinct cultures and languages with almost nothing in common with each other, while other countries with a clear border can be culturally indistinguishable from each other. The national pavilions only serve to divide humanity rather than unite them.

Eschew the hegemony of fascist nationalism!!

TWSITT

It's time we dismantle this human contrivance of national borders as sacrosanct delimiters of human tribes and cultures. A national border can incorporate peoples of distinct cultures and languages with almost nothing in common with each other, while other countries with a clear border can be culturally indistinguishable from each other. The national pavilions only serve to divide humanity rather than unite them.

Eschew the hegemony of fascist nationalism!!

Sounds good! lets place her on the Gran Fiesta Tour then since that is also North America :p

Princess Leia

I would definitely vote for BatB. And continuing the theme every pavilion can have their own Disney princess

Norway-Frozen(done)
China-Mulan
Germany-Snow White/Rapunzel
Italy-Aurora(she could be from Northern Italy close to the Alps)
USA-Tiana
Japan-Hmmm better hurry up with an IP for this one
Morocco-Jasmine(close enough)
France-Belle
UK-Merida
Canada-Pocahontas
Mexico-Is to late to change Coco to a girl with lost royal heritage? Elena in a pinch
Now this would be truly magical
;)
Someone at Disney headquarters:
"Well... Japan is made up of islands... and Moana takes place on an island!"

DDLand

Batb can be cloned unless japan paid for exclusivity for a certain amount of years. But I am guessing if they did then this entire thread wouldn't be a discussion and given Magic Feathers comments on "clone wars" this would indeed appear to be just that. A clone.
Not necessarily. The language is pretty specific. Keep in mind the press release was more of a corporate document than anything else. Knowing that Shanghai has deployed exclusivity agreements for multiple attractions, and Hong Kong too has used them in the past makes it all the more likely.

Why wouldn't OLC go the extra mile? They're paying the development and it's only logical to execute a move to ensure it's not replicated. I'm somewhat curious if its proximity to another dancing trackless attraction will effect popularity.

If this is exclusive, then we could think of the Epcot ride as similiar to Frozen Ever After which was the low quality version of two Frozen rides (the high quality one going to Sea and Disneyland).
With conversion rates the way they were back when Rat was built that's about $200M add in inflation and it gets pretty close but I guess a lot of the r&d costs would be saved and they wouldn't need the restaurant. Does the $270M for BatB include the entire land (castle, village, restaurant, ride, etc) or is that just the ride?
The $278 Million should include the entire package, with the exception of the new Fantasyland Theatre and Minnie M&G.

Edit: Whoa, this whole thing now seems more odd. It appears the new BatB Area/Fantasyland Theatre is going to border Space Mountain. While the new Big Hero Six area will provide some cover, it appears this is two steps forward one step back. Visual intrusion is almost assured. Correct execution will be crucial.

Last edited:

Mike S

Not necessarily. The language is pretty specific. Keep in mind the press release was more of a corporate document than anything else. Knowing that Shanghai has deployed exclusivity agreements for multiple attractions, and Hong Kong too has used them in the past makes it all the more likely.

Why wouldn't OLC go the extra mile? They're paying the development and it's only logical to execute a move to ensure it's not replicated. I'm somewhat curious if its proximity to another dancing trackless attraction will effect popularity.

If this is exclusive, then we could think of the Epcot ride as similiar to Frozen Ever After which was the low quality version of two Frozen rides (the high quality one going to Sea and Disneyland).

The $278 Million should include the entire package, with the exception of the new Fantasyland Theatre and Minnie M&G.
For Frozen I'm guessing OLC wanted exclusivity at least in Asia which is why HKDL is cloning Frostrom.

wdwfan4ver

A BatB ride can still be built for a future MK ride, but the Rat wouldn't work that much anywhere else but the France pavilion.
That is true now, but that wasn't the case before the 2016 D23. Disney years ago had plans of Pixar Place having more than 1 IP in that land with the 2nd being Monsters Inc. Door Coaster.

I think the Rat would fit in Pixar Place if the attraction is located where the Toy Story Land construction site is. I think having a Pixar Place of Toy Story Midway Mania, Monsters Inc. Door and the Rat ride would be considered a great standard in how a land should be.

Last edited:

doctornick

Original Poster
Anecdotal evidence time, but at the time of its release Disney Store had heaps of unsold Ratatouille that was continually discounted and never moved. Actions figures for less than $1.00 that would not sell. Ratatouille seems to have grown more in connection with foodieism and of course the Food and Wine Festival.

A few years ago in an interview Iger laid out the franchise mandate for the parks (while people like to focus on IP the actual focus is franchises which has a narrower definition). What is now interesting about that interview is that he used Ratatouille as an example of a film that did well in the US but that is not really franchise material, therefore it would be very unlikely to ever see an attraction at the US parks.

Perhaps and I can understand it from a merch selling prospective. But I actually think that, as a basis for a ride, that the concept of the Ratatouille ride would actually be extremely popular for a wide range of guests including children. The whole scurrying about the floor avoiding things conceit is just a "fun" type of experience and would be dramatically different from anything else at Epcot.

Not to mention that when Remy used to appear at Chefs de France, it seemed to be well liked by families/kids.

That said, my original point was responding to the idea that France would benefit more from BatB to drawn in children and their families (in combination with the power of FAE), but I think that any new family friendly ride would have that impact and the benefit of BatB versus Ratatouille would be marginal (i.e. the impact would be much greater by just having a new experience to promote than because of the particular IP). At least IMHO -- Disney leadership might of course view it differently and prefer a more "popular" IP.

doctornick

Original Poster
If they add BatB to Epcot, then THREE of WDW's parks will have some sort of offering based on the movie (excluding Fantasmic, FoF etc).

I'd say WDI is running out of ideas, but management would to have to allow them in the first place.

One would hope/think that if they did add BatB to France, that the powers that be would change the show in DHS to another IP. Supposedly, that theater is supposed to get enclosed/updated at some time which would be a perfect time to change shows, though the current plan seems to be to keep BatB. So who knows with Disney...

spresso81

I would personally prefer to see a Ratatouille ride in France over B&tB. We already have a B&tB show at HS and even if this eventually goes, we have the B&tB section of Fantasyland at the MK. If anything, I would like to eventually see a B&tB ride added behind Fantasyland proper.

Ratatouille is a perfect fit. While it is an IP based attraction, the movie takes place in Paris and is much more tied to every-day France and French cooking culture.

I would hope they plus the Paris version with some more animatronics as I feel that version is too screen based.

Princess Leia

One would hope/think that if they did add BatB to France, that the powers that be would change the show in DHS to another IP. Supposedly, that theater is supposed to get enclosed/updated at some time which would be a perfect time to change shows, though the current plan seems to be to keep BatB. So who knows with Disney...

I would personally prefer to see a Ratatouille ride in France over B&tB. We already have a B&tB show at HS and even if this eventually goes, we have the B&tB section of Fantasyland at the MK. If anything, I would like to eventually see a B&tB ride added behind Fantasyland proper.

Ratatouille is a perfect fit. While it is an IP based attraction, the movie takes place in Paris and is much more tied to every-day France and French cooking culture.

I would hope they plus the Paris version with some more animatronics as I feel that version is too screen based.
I'm not sure what the current status is right now, but there was talk of the BatB show changing a little when the new movie came out.

doctornick

Original Poster
But I'd rather see that plot of land used for a Morocco attraction (Aladdin?) and tie it to the backstage door near Marakesh.

Interesting point. I see the door you are talking about.

I now thing the most ideal thing would be to put in Ratatouille in the front of that space (between France and Morocco) with an extrance from the main guest path taking up the front half of the expansion plot....

...and then use the back half of the plot for a Morocco ride/attraction which you can access from said backstage door. That expansion pad is big enough to fit two attractions and that would at least avoid the annoying experience of the Frozen M&G using half of the plot and leaving the rest not accessible for guest expansion in the future.

Aladdin wouldn't work as that's set in an Arabian country, whereas Morocco is in west Africa, we're talking over 4000 miles away. That would be way worse and offensive than putting Frozen land in Norway.

We've had this pedantic argument before, but.... Aladdin (the original story) is actually set in China mostly, but involves travel to North Africa so Morocco kinda sorta could be argued to be appropriate if you really stretch things. That said, Agrabah in the Disney movie is sort of generically Arab and the Arab/Berber culture of Morocco and appearance of the country could be in Morocco as much as it could be in Saudi Arabia or Jordan or any other Arab country with deserts.

That said, the story of Aladdin does not come from Morocco so I do agree that it is a far from ideal choice for that pavilion. The M&G is bad enough.

That all being said, it's not really any more ideal for Morocco than Aladdin, but I'd love to see a copy of the Sinbad ride from Tokyo added to the Morocco pavilion.

AnthHoggard

I guess we can add this to more of the fantasy by some users - along with the whole Epcot expansion, new country in Epcot, complete re-do of Tomorrowland, another new ride for Hollywood Studios, the roller coaster for Epcot, etc etc

ROLLS EYES

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom