Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

KCheatle

I don't mind the idea of merging Disney characters with country-themed rides. So, to that extent, a Ratatouille ride doesn't bother me. Especially since the focus of the movie is cuisine, which is a large part of the French identity. But, I would prefer for Epcot to make rides that highlight the countries instead of the characters. I understand the pull for the Frozen ride. I get it from a business perspective and crowd-control perspective, but I don't like that it took away from Norway it's opportunity to educate people about it's country. I hope that a Ratatouille ride would highlight France, and just use Remy to explain (i.e., to grasp the attention of the kids). On that note, I wish they would build an Italian gondola ride in between Italy and Germany - nice water ride that could showcase a classic component of Italy and could educate. I know it's unlikely, but here's to hoping!

Bender123

Sometimes the highest grossing films become a part of theme parks, sometimes they don't. These are the top 20 highest grossing films (which includes inflation, otherwise GwtW would be on here) and their theme park representation:
  1. Avatar- WDW
  2. Titanic
  3. Star Wars: the Force Awakens- Disney theme parks
  4. Jurassic World- Universal parks
  5. The Avengers- DLR, IoA
  6. Furious 7- Universal parks
  7. Avengers: Age of Ultron- DLR, IoA
  8. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2- Universal parks
  9. Frozen- Disney parks
  10. Beauty and the Beast (2017)- Disney parks (though it's mostly the 1991 version that is represented)
  11. Fate of the Furious- Universal
  12. Iron Man 3- DHK, DLR, maybe IoA?
  13. Minions- Universal
  14. Captain America: Civil War- DLR, IoA
  15. Transformers: Dark of the Moon- Universal
  16. LotR: Return of the King
  17. Skyfall
  18. Transformers: Age of Extinction-Universal
  19. The Dark Knight Rises
  20. Toy Story 3- Disney
I guess for the most part, high grossing film= theme park presence. But then there are 3 major franchises that somehow do not: LotR, James Bond, and Batman (not including the occasional roller coaster). Of the three, the most egregious is Batman. I know Disney won't be making a Gotham land, but there is so much potential for one somewhere. That would probably make just as much money as Harry Potter or Star Wars, IMO.

Batman has a coaster at nearly every Six Flags Park...Not Batmans fault that WB sold theme park rights to Six Flags.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Batman has a coaster at nearly every Six Flags Park...Not Batmans fault that WB sold theme park rights to Six Flags.

And in many cases, such coasters are merely a yellow and black/blue colored coaster with the name "Batman" at the entrance with little to no other themeing. It's a shame really, but appropriately themeing a Batman/Gotham area is/would be expensive and not something that Six Flags is really up to... then again, the new Justice League dark rides that Six Flags have been installing are quite impressive! Compared to other Orlando area attractions, they are significantly ahead of Antarctica at Sea World and possibly on the same level as Men in Black or Midway Mania.

Mouse3268

And in many cases, such coasters are merely a yellow and black/blue colored coaster with the name "Batman" at the entrance with little to no other themeing. It's a shame really, but appropriately themeing a Batman/Gotham area is/would be expensive and not something that Six Flags is really up to... then again, the new Justice League dark rides that Six Flags have been installing are quite impressive! Compared to other Orlando area attractions, they are significantly ahead of Antarctica at Sea World and possibly on the same level as Men in Black or Midway Mania.

The Batman rollercoaster at Six Flags Great America, first inverted coaster ever, had pretty cool theming for the early 90's. Too bad a lot of it doesn't work now or is far out of date.

Bender123

Its really hit or miss on the DC theming...Gurnee's Six Flags Great America has a very well themed (if Spartan compared to Disney and US standards) Batman: the Ride, Gotham City Coaster and Justice League rides and Queues. Superman, literally, has few wooden boards with random Superman characters bios on them.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Sometimes the highest grossing films become a part of theme parks, sometimes they don't. These are the top 20 highest grossing films (which includes inflation, otherwise GwtW would be on here) and their theme park representation:
  1. Avatar- WDW
  2. Titanic
  3. Star Wars: the Force Awakens- Disney theme parks
  4. Jurassic World- Universal parks
  5. The Avengers- DLR, IoA
  6. Furious 7- Universal parks
  7. Avengers: Age of Ultron- DLR, IoA
  8. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2- Universal parks
  9. Frozen- Disney parks
  10. Beauty and the Beast (2017)- Disney parks (though it's mostly the 1991 version that is represented)
  11. Fate of the Furious- Universal
  12. Iron Man 3- DHK, DLR, maybe IoA?
  13. Minions- Universal
  14. Captain America: Civil War- DLR, IoA
  15. Transformers: Dark of the Moon- Universal
  16. LotR: Return of the King
  17. Skyfall
  18. Transformers: Age of Extinction-Universal
  19. The Dark Knight Rises
  20. Toy Story 3- Disney
I guess for the most part, high grossing film= theme park presence. But then there are 3 major franchises that somehow do not: LotR, James Bond, and Batman (not including the occasional roller coaster). Of the three, the most egregious is Batman. I know Disney won't be making a Gotham land, but there is so much potential for one somewhere. That would probably make just as much money as Harry Potter or Star Wars, IMO.

I bet LotR is not for want of trying.

Bender123

The Batman rollercoaster at Six Flags Great America, first inverted coaster ever, had pretty cool theming for the early 90's. Too bad a lot of it doesn't work now or is far out of date.

We didn't get annual passes this year, due to being a Disney year, but by September of last year the Batmobile was I horrible shape. The fiberglass was faded and chipped, the "jet" had garbage in it and it looked awful. The fog effects were gone, the big fan in the entrance was broken, the crashed cop car had trash all over it. Looked awful.

Mouse3268

We didn't get annual passes this year, due to being a Disney year, but by September of last year the Batmobile was I horrible shape. The fiberglass was faded and chipped, the "jet" had garbage in it and it looked awful. The fog effects were gone, the big fan in the entrance was broken, the crashed cop car had trash all over it. Looked awful.

That's a bummer, even though the trash on the crashed cop car could thematically work.

Daveeeeed

There's a handful of IPs - Inside Out and Big Hero 6 are the most obvious - and undoubtedly dozens of characters that they could use in a pavilion about health and body that I'm honestly surprised they haven't done anything with the pavilion yet. Plus it seems like it would be a piece of cake to get sponsors for the pavilion since Disney already has a foothold in the fitness world.

This is basically how I feel. I think Epcot in general could use some more rides that aren't E-Tickets to help round out the park. Something you can hop on and be done with in an hour so to make better use of time while you wait for your Fastpass time or dinner reservation. I think this would be particularly good for World Showcase to help each country feel more substantial without distracting from the pavilion itself.
EPCOT doesn't have enough E-tickets. Soarin', Test Track, Mission: Space, and Spaceship Earth are all technically E-tickets, but none of them are out of this world. Epcot needs its Splash Mountain. It doesn't have it. It lacks really good rides. Yes I love Spaceship Earth, but the park needs a super headliner E-ticket like Indy.

The park has so many smaller rides, but all of them are outdated or bad (Nemo, Imagination, Three Caballeros, various films like Circle of Life etc.)
These are not well done C/D tickets, but are crappy rides. They pale in comparison to Peter Pan, or NA'VI River Journey. They just aren't that pure fun you usually get with Disney.

I can't wait for Epcot's future even if it is different. Michael Eisner destroyed the park, and Iger at first didn't care, so I'm glad things are changing.

Last edited:

PanInFlight

This new attraction or what ever it is, they are now in the preparation process. Behind France where they normally store all the food kiosk for festivals, they are currently cleaning out the area and moving stuff out with a lot of marker flags all over the ground. Also they have built a new building along the perimeter road behind Germany and they have also paved a large square area that could be a new home for kiosk to be stored when not in use. What ever is up their sleeves, I'm sure we are about to hear about it soon!

FigmentForver96

EPCOT doesn't have enough E-tickets. Soarin', Test Track, Mission: Space, and Spaceship Earth are all technically E-tickets, but none of them are out of this world. Epcot needs its Splash Mountain. It doesn't have it. It lacks really good rides. Yes I love Spaceship Earth, but the park needs a super headliner E-ticket like Indy.

The park has so many smaller rides, but all of them are outdated or bad (Nemo, Imagination, Three Caballeros, various films like Circle of Life etc.)
These are not well done C/D tickets, but are crappy rides. They pale in comparison to Peter Pan, or NA'VI River Journey. They just aren't that pure fun you usually get with Disney.

I can't wait for Epcot's future even if it is different. Michael Eisner destroyed the park, and Iger at first didn't care, so I'm glad things are changing.
EPCOT Center WAS the E-ticket. The fact we now need IPs to save a park that showed the world it didn't need them is beyond pathetic.

ToTBellHop

This new attraction or what ever it is, they are now in the preparation process. Behind France where they normally store all the food kiosk for festivals, they are currently cleaning out the area and moving stuff out with a lot of marker flags all over the ground. Also they have built a new building along the perimeter road behind Germany and they have also paved a large square area that could be a new home for kiosk to be stored when not in use. What ever is up their sleeves, I'm sure we are about to hear about it soon!
It indeed starts soon.

RoysCabin

EPCOT Center WAS the E-ticket. The fact we now need IPs to save a park that showed the world it didn't need them is beyond pathetic.

Even beyond IPs, EPCOT Center kind of threw the old ticketing system out the window because, after all, the pavilions themselves were almost all E tickets in some way, shape, or form, when you consider how much it cost to build each pavilion in Future World and World Showcase as well as how much time you'd need to fully experience each one. Horizons was probably the shortest of the FW pavilion experiences, and even that, not counting queue times, was a 15 minute experience.

EricsBiscuit

Okay! A GotG Mission: Breakout of Biergarten with all the potato dumplings! Should go in Germany. Dropping (or should I say "hopping?") my Mexico pavilion new attraction idea mañana.

Halfway between the countries they could have a Great Movie Ride-style host takeover, where the German Cast Member ousts the Italian Cast Member, and then suddenly we're on the Rhine River Ride!
This is a really cool idea. You could board a river boat at the back of either pavilion (Rhine for Germany and Adige for Italy) and they could meet in the middle in the Swiss alps. Switzerland could be a small, hidden indoor pavilion in the back of World Showcase. They could even hide it in a Matterhorn façade that's only visible but not accessible from the main World Showcase promenade. Sorry for the armchairing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom