Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

Kman101

I know people are clinging to no characters, but we're past that point. With the direction Epcot is going, Rat fits fairly well in the France pavilion. I know that's not a popular opinion but I'm not against it.

We don't need another Princess ride in World Showcase. (And I already know some will say we don't need Rat either)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Has anyone considered that exit surveys for the past several years probably indicated confusion among the Millennials over why there were no Disney characters in a Disney theme park? It just another case of management giving guests what they want.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I can see that, but with more attractions you get more guests. With more guests you get more revenue. I don't see how new additions can't get a return on their investment in the busiest theme park in the world that shows no sign of becoming less popular.

In a sentence 'Short Term Thinking' since executive team compensation is based on stock price using stock buybacks to inflate share price and EPS and quality and service cuts to reduce OPEX. this does far more on a quarter to quarter basis to allow executives to reach bonus targets than investing in attractions which will take several years to generate a return.

Effectively Iger and company are strip mining Disney prior to their exit. Someone else will have to clear up the wreckage after they leave.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
... this does far more on a quarter to quarter basis to allow executives to reach bonus targets than investing in attractions which will take several years to generate a return.
Part of the problem stems from the fact that any new attractions are sunk costs because admission is pay-one-price. IOW, they think they'll NEVER see a positive return on attraction investment because there's no revenue stream from the individual attractions -- no way to measure it, anyway.

Perhaps that's why each new land is getting a formulaic "two rides and a restaurant" -- a bare minimum outlay to keep up with the Universals down the street...

Kman101

I don't mind them adding Rat in France. What I do mind would be if Impressions and the theater are scrapped so they can be lazy with the queue. In a large multi-park resort with so much usable space, I just don't get the replacement vs new addition strategy, especially at HS. Really, anywhere.

I agree with this. I hate their habit of replacing instead of adding. They know the parks need capacity and more things to do but then continue to replace. I don't think Impressions should go. They can afford to keep the theater running and the Rat ride going at the same time. Heaven forbid they ADD instead of replace.

Bocabear

In a sentence 'Short Term Thinking' since executive team compensation is based on stock price using stock buybacks to inflate share price and EPS and quality and service cuts to reduce OPEX. this does far more on a quarter to quarter basis to allow executives to reach bonus targets than investing in attractions which will take several years to generate a return.

Effectively Iger and company are strip mining Disney prior to their exit. Someone else will have to clear up the wreckage after they leave.
Which is essentially what happened after the tragic Paul Pressler/Cynthia Harris management of Disneyland... There was lots of damage that cost a boatload of money to repair from their deferred maintenance...

jt04

It's not hard to see why they replace instead of add. Control crowd size with price, and, bam....profits go up and operating costs stay flat. I get it, I just don't like it and find it short sighted.

If they are using prices to control crowd size they are failing to make it work. Crowds keep growing.

jt04

This is delusional. Or propaganda.

thomas998

Umm, you were talking about one country in WS, not an entire park. And exactly how is it "crammed" in? Oh, and way to move the goal posts!
Wasn't trying to move the goal post just trying to show the ridiculousness of your comment. WS has always been more about food than rides so having 3 places to eat in a place vs 2 isn't really that hard to fathom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom