Position of the Magic Kingdom

MyNameisStitch

Original Poster
I was bored at work and started just daydreaming and I thought about where the Magic Kingdom sits on WDW Property. Buena Vista Place is only about a 1/2 Mile behind MK. My question is, If Walt was all about keeping the tourist traps from popping up and he bought all this land, Why was MK positioned so close to the Disney World border? And why didn't anybody build hotels with such a close proximity to the first and most popular WDW theme park? Any insights?

The Mom

Premium Member
I may be wrong, but I thought the DTD hotels (Buena Vista, etc) were on WDW property? They were built before the non-MK resorts were built.

Way back when, you stayed at the Polynesian, the Contemporary, the Campgrounds, or the Treehouse Villas. All of the rest were added in the 80s.

When Carribean Beach resort was built, it was touted as a Value resort, for families who couldn't afford the deluxes.

Buford

I've managed to visit WDW for years and years without ever setting foot on BVP...... or knowing it existed until just recently....... and driving into the MK back in 1971 - no tourist traps at all! :D

WDWCPF98

Also it is not possible for guests to enter property from that back border. If you were off property behind MK you would have to drive down Reems Rd. to SR 535 and enter property through Hotel Plaza Blvd. Would take a good 45 min to get to MK parking lot. That probably keeps the tourist traps away.

Captain Hank

The positioning of the Magic Kingdom was probably keeping with the original master plan of the property. Originally, there was supposed to be an international airport at the bottom of the property that serviced the resort and EPCOT. From there, guests were to board WEDWay transportation that took them through the city of EPCOT. EPCOT was to be built in the center of the property, where the Epcot park is today. Finally, guests would arrive at the resort area at the top end of the property, which contained the Magic Kingdom (the only park planned for the entire resort).

Also, there are pretty extensive backstage areas between the edge of the Magic Kingdom park and the edge of the Walt Disney World property.

napnet

Also it is not possible for guests to enter property from that back border. If you were off property behind MK you would have to drive down Reems Rd. to SR 535 and enter property through Hotel Plaza Blvd. Would take a good 45 min to get to MK parking lot. That probably keeps the tourist traps away.

Yeah, there is no simple way to get from north of the property to the park easily unless you are on staff. I would guess to bet they might open a hotel or too one day over near the new entrance on western way

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There is an unsecured cast member entrance off Reems but it in no way would support any volume of tourist traffic. Also if you don't know where you are going it is very easy to get lost. This entrance works as a good short cut to MK if you are coming from Winter Garden or Wyndemere otherwise there is no advantage to using it.

There is a tremendous amount of construction going on around 535 and Reems but it is all single and multi-family homes. I have yet to see any type of resort go up there yet. But never say never.

Shaman

Also, there are pretty extensive backstage areas between the edge of the Magic Kingdom park and the edge of the Walt Disney World property.

Exactly! Lots of stuff back there...I was suprised. The folks at Disney knew what they were doing when they put MK where they put it!

Great post Captain Hank! :wave:

coasterridr

The positioning of the Magic Kingdom was probably keeping with the original master plan of the property. Originally, there was supposed to be an international airport at the bottom of the property that serviced the resort and EPCOT. From there, guests were to board WEDWay transportation that took them through the city of EPCOT. EPCOT was to be built in the center of the property, where the Epcot park is today. Finally, guests would arrive at the resort area at the top end of the property, which contained the Magic Kingdom (the only park planned for the entire resort).

Actually EPCOT was moved during early construction because of a endangered bird, (some kind of woodpecker I believe) So it's not exactly in the middle of the property, there is a road backstage named for the bird.

Horizons1

Actually EPCOT was moved during early construction because of a endangered bird, (some kind of woodpecker I believe) So it's not exactly in the middle of the property, there is a road backstage named for the bird.

I thought that was just the parking lot, not the whole park itself.

disneylandkid

Account Suspended
If i remember right Walt wanted there to be a dramatic build-up as you traveled from the other side of the resort to the park that is why at most times going up to mk the train station blocks out the castle. And then after you go through the tunnel you have arrived. Read the imagineering field guide i think

Captain Hank

True, but I believe the park wasn't moved very much, so it is more or less in the center of property. And, yes, Woodpecker lane was named in honor of our endangered feathered friend.

metscool

Wow. I didn't know that they named the a street after a bird that ALMOST prevented the building of Epcot. See the stuff that you learn on this website every day.

NASAMan

Disney has purposly kept the roads backstage to two lane - able to support staff but not enough for public traffic. While there are no barriers to the public, if you don't know where you are going you can get real lost. Also, all the property along Reams Rd. is zoned residential, so no hotels.

By placing the MK at the north end, it provides a psychological buffer between leaving the outside world and entering the kingdom. It makes you feel you are farther away than you really are.

Rob562

True, but I believe the park wasn't moved very much, so it is more or less in the center of property. And, yes, Woodpecker lane was named in honor of our endangered feathered friend.

I've read that the large Epcot symbol in the pavement between the Fountain of Nations and World Showcase Plaza marked the geographical center of the Disney property at the time that EPCOT Center was built. Of course this is no longer accurate because over the years Disney has de-annexed some property from RCID and sold it, and has purchased other property...

-Rob

Enchantris

As briefly mentioned before by another poster. Walt really liked the idea that the Magic Kingdom feels so far away from the outside world. The journey to getting to the Magic Kingdom can be forever. Driving all the way down World Drive, Parking at the TTC, Getting on the Monorail or Ferry, Seeing the Castle and Mainstreet Train Station across the way... its a big build up with the journey to get there and thats the best thing. Escpecially at night after the fireworks and everyone is leaving. Take the ferry across to get back to the TTC... and when u get over to the TTC, look back at the Magic Kingdom, it is kinda sad, you feel so far away from one of the most magical places ever that you just spent your whole day at and now you know your about to go back into the real world (unless of course your disney vacation just started and your staying at a Disney Resort! but even then its a little sad). And as we all know the best thing is being in the Magic Kingdom and seeing nothing but an occasional commercial airline overhead from the outside world. I remember as a little kid I always felt so Farrr away and nothing was around me, knowing the size of Walt Disney World. However now as I go there everyday, when first realizing the residential area which seems almost a stones throw away, I was shocked. But still amazed as to how it was all done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom