portable scooter use

PigletIsMyCat

i'm planning on renting a scooter for my trip in october. i've been looking at some of the portable ones, the three wheeled ones that have a 300lb weight capacity that break down into like 4 or 5 pieces that fit in the trunk. i've only ever used 4 wheel ECVs and am curious as to the stability. has anyone used these portable scooters that can share some drivability/transportability experience?

also, has anyone used one of the regular ECVs and gotten in the trunk of a mid-size car? some of the larger ones seem to break down into three pieces - base, seat, steering column. i'm certain they are very heavy, but i have a very strong husband who could easily lift the pieces. buena vista in particular has a standard model that says it has "auto-latching lockup for easy assembly/disassembly"; heaviest piece is around 60lbs.

tia ;)

Poofiesdream

i'm planning on renting a scooter for my trip in october. i've been looking at some of the portable ones, the three wheeled ones that have a 300lb weight capacity that break down into like 4 or 5 pieces that fit in the trunk. i've only ever used 4 wheel ECVs and am curious as to the stability. has anyone used these portable scooters that can share some drivability/transportability experience?

also, has anyone used one of the regular ECVs and gotten in the trunk of a mid-size car? some of the larger ones seem to break down into three pieces - base, seat, steering column. i'm certain they are very heavy, but i have a very strong husband who could easily lift the pieces. buena vista in particular has a standard model that says it has "auto-latching lockup for easy assembly/disassembly"; heaviest piece is around 60lbs.

tia ;)
My husband uses a three wheel scooter at the parks and he weights 280 lbs. He has never had a problem with it tipping over. He prefers the tree wheel to the four wheel as it has a better turning radius to get threw the lines. The scooter breaks down pretty easy and each individual part is not that heavy. It will fit in the truck but take up the whole trunk. You could always but the seat in your back seat if it didn't all fit. We have used walker mobility which is no longer a preferred company of Disney so now we use Apple Scooters they are great and the lowest prices around and deliver and pick up at your resort or hotel for free. Heard Buena Vista was a good company but never used them. Don't forget to bring a XLarge garbage bag with you in case of rain you can cover up the scooter. They will probably include a shower cap for over the electronics on the handlebars but thats all. Hope you enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

abunch06

I can't say much for the transportability of the scooters, but my family have used Buena Vista several times and seems to work out pretty well.

Drivability wise - Disney does a pretty great job with making sure that there's ample space to get around. My family usually travels to Disney at the end of June/early July (busy busy!) and there can be some times where you need to be a pretty good...erm...driver? We've always had the 3 wheeler scooter and my 300+lb dad has never had any issues. You just need to pay attention, because most people that are walking in front of you...are NOT paying attention. Can't tell you how many times we've had to apologize for almost running someone over because they weren't looking. That being said, be aware that if you happen to ride disney transportation with them, most bus drivers are really helpful. On occasion, you will find a bus driver that isn't very helpful. Depending on the bus, you'll sometimes need to back the ECV in and then 'parallel park' it in the scooter space on the bus. If it's a taller bus, they use a little elevator to get it up into the bus.

Upvote 0

PigletIsMyCat

Original Poster
thanks y'all. i've used disney's ECVs in the parks, but never outside of the parks. i pride myself on being a good driver :) the last time we went, i rented ECVs or wheelchairs in the parks a couple of days, but this time around i know i'll need it more since my condition has deteriorated - especially in my hips and ankles. i know it will be more cost effective to rent from an offsite provider.

at this point, we're still thinking about renting a car, so i'd need one that's portable. however, after realizing how much it will cost to go to universal (we haven't been since we moved from florida and were pass holders) we may just stay in the disney bubble.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom