Port Orleans vs. Carribean Beach???

moopdog

Okay, I finally have it narrowed down between these two parks. There are 5 of us going (one under 3), so we'll either stay at Port Orleans Riverside Alligator Bayou bldg (which has the extra trundle bed) OR we'll stay at Carribean Beach and have someone campout on the floor, which isn't a big deal, really.

I have read that Carribean Beach is a little bit rundown and showing it's age, and that it is too big. However, I love the idea of the 'beach' but is it truly a beachy atmosphere, and will the water be warm enough in mid-October?

I love the reviews the PortOrleans resort is getting, but keep going back to the "beachy" love of mine. But I don't know which has the more elaborate pool areas, playground, etc. I would like to spend at least all of one day just hanging around the resort and avoiding the parks - where is the best place to do that with a 2, 4 and 13 year old?

On another note, I read another discussion going on about going during Columbus weekend and it was referred to as a nightmare... wahhh!! Is this really true? I didn't even realize that's when we were planning for. We're going the Tuesday before Col weekend and coming home the Tuesday after Columbus day. Is this a mistake - we hate crowds and long lines.

Thanks DAnielle

Speedbird

I've been to both and it's got to be Port Orlean's Riverside. Once you've been you'll realise why. It's relaxed and quiet. I was there in October and the building work was minimal and didn't inconvenience us at all. The rooms have been rehab'ed and were very comfortable. The transport links from Riverside are excellent. The boat to Downtown Disney can be a highlight on its own. The CM's do trivia and quizes and stuff on the way. Going back in May for two weeks.

Upvote 0

Maritimer

The Carribean Beach is the best.

Hello All

We stayed onsite at Carribean Beach from December 12th - 20th , 2004 (first time onsite) and we loved it. It was myself, my wife and 9 year old niece. We loved it from day 1. The buildings are not run down, the rooms in Martinique were awesome, great size and bright. The pool for Martinique was in great shape and plenty big enough. We really enjoyed the main pool at Port Royale (water cannons, waterslide, waterfall and a hot tub) and the Food Court at Port Royale was very good. We never had one problem with buses, never had to wait long. The beaches are nice. We were able to lay in the hammocks and wach the Illuminations fireworks from Epcot and my niece was able to join a sand castle making contest. We found Check in was smooth, baggage handling was great and our room was always clean. It was well stocked and there were often little towel characters made by housekeeping left amongst my nieces stuffed animal collection.

Choose the Beach.

Upvote 0

DisneyWood

wannabeBelle said:
Literally Riverside is around the corner from EPCOT and only sliightly further to MGM. Magic Kingdom is probably the longest at about 20 minutes, but you are dropped off by the front gates of the park. If you rent a car and drive you have to park in the lot and take the monorail or Ferry over to the MK anyhow!!!! Animal Kingdom isnt too far as well.
The trundle bed is located under one of the two of the Full Size beds already in the room.
Here is a link to www.allearsnet.com which has some great pics of the rooms
This one shows the trundle bed open: http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/dxl24.jpg
this one shows the beds in the room:
http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/dxl13.jpg
This is the link to ALL of the pics for this resort:
http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/g_dxl.htm
Hope this helps!! Belle

Thanks. The pictures & info helped quite a bit. We will probably be staying at this resort on our next vacation. Do the bus' go to the French Quarter as well as Riverside, or are they separate for each? The resort looks pretty big.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

DisneyWood said:
Thanks. The pictures & info helped quite a bit. We will probably be staying at this resort on our next vacation. Do the bus' go to the French Quarter as well as Riverside, or are they separate for each? The resort looks pretty big.
Hey there It is a pretty big resort but is laid out really well, so it really isnt so much walking. It is super relaxing though and it is great for that peace & quiet after a hard day at the parks. As far as do the busses stop at both the answer is......sometimes!!! During the less busy part of the day the answer is yes they do stop at both, during the heavier times such as parl closing time, the answe is they split out the resorts!!! Hope this helps!!! Belle

Upvote 0

DisneyWood

wannabeBelle said:
Hey there It is a pretty big resort but is laid out really well, so it really isnt so much walking. It is super relaxing though and it is great for that peace & quiet after a hard day at the parks. As far as do the busses stop at both the answer is......sometimes!!! During the less busy part of the day the answer is yes they do stop at both, during the heavier times such as parl closing time, the answe is they split out the resorts!!! Hope this helps!!! Belle

I suppose that it won't be split during our visit, since we are going the 2nd week of January (crowds should be minimal due to historical averages). That is no big deal, if it doesn't take to long. It can kind of hectic w/ 3 children on the bus, not really wanting to sit in our lap.

Upvote 0

mrtoad

DisneyWood said:

Just to tag onto what Belle said, it is a pretty big resort but really laid out well. We prefer to stay in Aligator Bayou as I mentioned but we also try to get a building fairly close (but not right on top of) the main POR building. We do this for a couple reasons.

One, you don't have to really hike to get to the food court, shop, etc.

Two, which is equally important is that the bus stop by the main building is the second one (first is at POF). If you are on one of the other stops (I believe there are 4 in total at POR) the bus might be full and you will have to wait for another.

We have been very happy with the times it takes to go everywhere once on the bus from POR. I was surprised when Belle said 20 min to the MK. I am sure she is correct, but it never feels long at all. The only thing about the buses that I don't care for (and this is at all of the bus resorts, not just POR) is that at the end of the day if you leave at closing or close to it, you might have to wait a while. You could get there as a bus is pulling away and then 15 minutes later a new one comes but you don't make it on as there are so many people. We have had to wait through several buses. They usually try to add others in, but it does not always work out that way. We are staying at the Polynesian in a few weeks and that was one of the factors. We wanted to be able to get to the resort quicker on MK days which is about 60% (at least) of what we will be doing. It is also a one time treat most likely as it is WAY, WAY, WAY out of our budget. Next year, back to POR.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

I think you will be pleasantly surprised as I said it isnt based on the season it is based on the crowd level at the time of day!!! I have been there in January and at park closing the bus routes were split to handle more people. You should be fine, but I wouldnt advise any but the baby sit in your lap. It is more comfortable for everyne to have thier own seat plus probably safer for the bigger kids anyhow!!! Im sure it will be fine!!! Belle

Upvote 0

DisneyWood

wannabeBelle said:
I think you will be pleasantly surprised as I said it isnt based on the season it is based on the crowd level at the time of day!!! I have been there in January and at park closing the bus routes were split to handle more people. You should be fine, but I wouldnt advise any but the baby sit in your lap. It is more comfortable for everyne to have thier own seat plus probably safer for the bigger kids anyhow!!! Im sure it will be fine!!! Belle

Yes, only the baby would be sitting in our lap. On our last trip, our daughter was a tad bit over 1, and she didn't like sitting in our lap to much. Our son (almost 3 at the time) was the difficult one. He couldn't ever find his ideal seat.

We are probably going to stay at Port Orleans - Riverside (I think, if this where alligator alley is located?) based on Belle's glowing recommendations. Plus, we would like to stay at a different resort each time. Our next trip will either be WL, Contemporary, GF, Poly.

I am starting to have withdrawals right now. I need my Disney fix...

Upvote 0

Javier&Christie

I *just* made reserverations to stay at Port Orleans Riverside this weekend :)

It will be our first trip to Port Orleans, our favorite moderate so far has been Coronado, but we also enjoy Caribbean as well. We had the choice of either Caribbean or Riverside under annual pass rate, so we opted to try out Riverside (coronado wasn't available).

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I would stay at the CBR, because I like the beachy feel too. But if your child is three I think you still have to count her. Her tickets would be on the room key. It might be more comfortable it you picked the resort that had a room that would most comfortably accomodate all of you.

Upvote 0

Kadee

Hi Danielle. I'm sure you are very excited about your trip and you will have fun at any resort. I'd definitely go with a Moderate verses a Value. Values are quite a bit smaller. But if you do decide on a Value, go for the Pop Century.

I have stayed at both the Carribean Beach and Port Orleans Riverside. Personally, I preferred Port Orleans Riverside. It was much calmer and relaxing and ALOT less crowed. The CB is really spread out and our experience with the bus system was a nightmare. POR was by far better for us. But others have had wonderful experiences at CB. It all depends on personal taste.

Don't worry about it too much. Just pick one and enjoy it. You can always stay at the other one on your next trip.......There is ALWAYS a next trip! :D

Upvote 0

AKQJ10

I have to agree about Port Orleans! I love both Riverside and French Quarter, having stayed at both. The rehab of the rooms is complete. The small size of the resorts adds to their charm and appeal, yet they have all the Disney magic and amenities of the other resorts. My favorite of the Moderates

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom