Port Orleans-Riverside

PrincessAshlie922

Hello-

While I am not new to Disney or their resorts, I am new to going with children. We are going in September to celebrate our son's first birthday and we are booked at the Port Orleans Riverside. I typically stay at a deluxe resort, however my husband who has never been to Disney doesn't see what all the fuss is about and would prefer to stay at a value, so Riverside is our happy medium.

I've never been to this resorts and was wondering what your thoughts were if you have stayed there.

asa disney

Hello-

While I am not new to Disney or their resorts, I am new to going with children. We are going in September to celebrate our son's first birthday and we are booked at the Port Orleans Riverside. I typically stay at a deluxe resort, however my husband who has never been to Disney doesn't see what all the fuss is about and would prefer to stay at a value, so Riverside is our happy medium.

I've never been to this resorts and was wondering what your thoughts were if you have stayed there.

We stayed at PORS last fall and loved it. We did, however pay for a preferred room to be close to the main building because it is a big resort. We've stayed a the Poly, Boardwalk, Pop and ASMu so we have been exposed to many Disney environments and we felt that the grounds were as beautiful as anywhere we've stayed. The pool is nice, Yee-Ha Bob plays several nights a week if you like live entertainment, there's a marina, and a nice boat ride to Downtown Disney. The only things we missed from the Deluxes were better sit-down dining and proximity to a park. We've just resigned ourselves to the fact that the bus rides are part of the adventure for us and the cost of the deluxes is too much for us with a family of 5. If you google unofficial visitor's guide to Port Orleans, you'll find a great website to answer all of your questions. Good luck.

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Hello-

Well to start,welcome to wdwmagic. Anybody who knows me here,knows my love for this resort.Last year was our third visit to PORS and it is to me much more than a moderate resort.Iam 100% sure you will have a magical time here.There is a unofficial web site for Port Orleans which gives you lots of great info on both RS and FQ. And I gave you your first like so a fairy gets her wings tonight.;)

Upvote 0

crimsontyde01

We are headed back to PORS for the 2nd time this coming May11-18. We throughly enjoyed our last stay. The Resort grounds are beautiful, OL' Man Island Pool is GREAT, there's a playground for the kids, bike rentals, boat rentals, even a catch and release fishing pond. There is enough to do around the Resort to keep a person busy, but, in a relaxed and laid back kinda way.

Riverside MILL Foodcourt -GREAT SELECTION
River Roost Lounge - Great Fun
Fulton's General Store -Great

Go check out this wonderful site about the resort www.portorleans.org

Hope you have a great time.

Upvote 0

luv

I am not a huge fan of the rooms in the mansions section. They seem funeral-parlory to me...but most people don't feel that way. The whole Plantation thing does little for me, but the grounds are pretty and kind of romantic late at night. It's a nice place to walk, if you have the time and energy.

I prefer the AB section to Mansions. :)

The food court is excellent. Best of the Disney food courts! Gift shop is pretty good.

Upvote 0

J03Y

i love Riverside, been there twice i believe. the pools are really cool, and its overall theme is really fascinating.

I am not a huge fan of the rooms in the mansions section. They seem funeral-parlory to me...but most people don't feel that way. The whole Plantation thing does little for me, but the grounds are pretty and kind of romantic late at night. It's a nice place to walk, if you have the time and energy.

I prefer the AB section to Mansions. :)

The food court is excellent. Best of the Disney food courts! Gift shop is pretty good.

that's French Quarter. Riverside is the one that looks like a bayou sort of.

but i agree, French Quarter's food court is really cool. although personally i love the mansion look, gives me Haunted Mansion feelings.

Upvote 0

luv

i love Riverside, been there twice i believe. the pools are really cool, and its overall theme is really fascinating.

that's French Quarter. Riverside is the one that looks like a bayou sort of.

but i agree, French Quarter's food court is really cool. although personally i love the mansion look, gives me Haunted Mansion feelings.
No, I was talking about POR, not POFQ. There are two sections to POR - Mansions and Alligator Bayou.

POFQ is the New Orleans/French Quarter theme.

:)

I do like POFQ a lot, but am not a fan of its food court at all. Haven't the mighty beignets, though, lol.

Upvote 0

MRGEFF

You have made a great choice ! We have been to POR three times, the most recent last month. We stayed in a Royal room this time. WOW ! POR has a good restaurant (Boatwrights) & a good food court. 'Ol Man Island (the main pool) is one of my on property favorites. Your kids will love it. There are also several quiet pools. POR has carriage rides. You can take a launch to POFQ or walk to it (takes 10-15 minutes along the Sassagoula river) & get some of their great beignets. You can also take the launch to DTD. Good size arcade. You can fish. POR is our favorite moderate resort.

Upvote 0

PUSH

We've stayed at POR 4 or 5 times and have loved it every time. I'm staying there in June! It's such a peaceful resort, and I've never heard children screaming like I have when visiting value resorts. The food court is great. You can get anything from burgers to pizza to pasta to much, much more! POR has a sit down restaurant called Boatwright's. I've never eaten there but it looks nice and I've heard good reviews. It also has a nice gift shop and arcade.

There is a free boat ride from the resort to DTD, so make sure you take that! It's very relaxing and beautiful. There are also horse-drawn carriage rides that you can take, but it's an extra cost. Those rides have always looked so nice and relaxing. It's very nice to just watch them.

The grounds are landscaped beautifully. There is a main pool along with several "private" pools scattered around.

Bus transportation seems to get mixed reviews around here. I've heard people say that the buses are never on time and they have a lot of problems. I've heard others, including myself, who have said that they have never encountered any major problems with buses. I've never had to wait more than 15 minutes for a bus. And that was only because there was a long line.

I think you made a great choice with resorts and I hope you have a great trip.

Upvote 0

Pooh Lover

It is a beautiful, well themed, quiet resort. Yes it is large and may be worth your while to book a preferred room closer to the food court (main building.) We have not been there since the latest room refurb but it looks lovely in both sections. The food court is amazing. Large enough to hold many people but can get crowded at peak times. We love the boat ride to Downtown Disney....so nice to be able to avoid the bus fiasco getting to and from Downtown. There are several pools to choose from, a wonderful gift shop (huge) and close enough to visit Port Orleans French Quarter by foot. You've made a great choice and I'm sure your family will have a magical time there!

Upvote 0

Tinkerbella16

I have stayed there a few years ago and loved it! We are also staying there again in November in a royal guest room. The resort is big and spread out and just beautiful. POR has the best foodcourt of the moderates in my opinion. There are a few pools but the main pool (Ol' Mans Island) is a lot of fun, especially for kids. The busses can be a bit much if you are using them because Riverside has 4 stops alone and sometimes shares with French Quarter. You will not be disappointed with POR!

Upvote 0

luv

Staying here for the first time in september as well. Have walked thengrounds before while staying at pofq, beautiful place. Can't wait to stay in the royal room. Is yeehaw bob worth seeing?
I am not a big Yeehaw Bob fan. If you have kids who enjoy audience-participation, it would likely entertain them.

Otherwise, I don't know. He has a lot of fans. If you have time, try it yourself and see. But I wouldn't knock myself out making time for Yeehaw Bob. :)

Upvote 0

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I love Yeehaw Bob! My kids enjoyed playing along from a very young age. I love staying at POR, great playground, life jackets make all pools possible, lots of room for a young toddler to tootle around, fountains to throw pennies in, so many food choices! Good choice.

Upvote 0

Stellajack

. . . .Bus transportation seems to get mixed reviews around here. I've heard people say that the buses are never on time and they have a lot of problems. I've heard others, including myself, who have said that they have never encountered any major problems with buses. I've never had to wait more than 15 minutes for a bus. And that was only because there was a long line.

We, too, really like this resort. We learned several years ago to board the bus at the South Depot (front of the resort). On our very first stay at this resort in 2002, we waited about 30 minutes at W. Depot; and finally, an arriving bus driver called to notify someone that there were guests waiting at the West Depot. We made it to our ADR at Whispering Canyon, but after that, we always used the South Depot. I really don't know if this matters or not, but there are times when we get on the bus and it never goes around to the other depot stops.

Upvote 0

jlsHouston

Welcome! We are staying at PORS in a royal room in May and it will be our first time at this resort too. We are very excited to experience this property for all the reasons the OP's have listed. Looking forward to seeing the grounds, some pool time with grandkids, trying Boatwrights and maybe a carriage ride!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom