Port Orleans-Riverside

PrincessAshlie922

Hello-

While I am not new to Disney or their resorts, I am new to going with children. We are going in September to celebrate our son's first birthday and we are booked at the Port Orleans Riverside. I typically stay at a deluxe resort, however my husband who has never been to Disney doesn't see what all the fuss is about and would prefer to stay at a value, so Riverside is our happy medium.

I've never been to this resorts and was wondering what your thoughts were if you have stayed there.

erasure fan1

We really liked Riverside as well, the rooms were very nice. Its the only moderate that my wife will stay in when we are not using DVC. We love the riverside food court and eat there all the time on our trips. We normally stay in old key west, and riverside is right next door so we frequent it a lot. The kids really love the pool as well. As far as the moderates go, I think you made a nice choice.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

We stayed there in October and thoroughly enjoyed it. We didn't pay for preferred, but we asked for Building 16 in Alligator Bayou (as close as you can get to preferred, but still standard), and got Building 17, which was close enough. The theming is beautiful, the amenities were convenient, and transportation was timely. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how nice a moderate resort can be.

Upvote 0

J03Y

No, I was talking about POR, not POFQ. There are two sections to POR - Mansions and Alligator Bayou.

POFQ is the New Orleans theme.

:)

I do like POFQ a lot, but am not a fan of its food court at all. Haven't the mighty beignets, though, lol.

really? i always assumed POR was more of the bayou part of PO and the mansions and New Orleans was all FQ. either way, really the whole PO resort is one of, if not my favorite resort Disney has. idk, it's just when i think of my favorite hotels at Disney the first ones to pop up are Riverside and French Quarter. and i agree, i also love Riverside's food court. you're eating in the mill it's so cool, but the food offered at FQ's is sooo good though!

Upvote 0

luv

really? i always assumed POR was more of the bayou part of PO and the mansions and New Orleans was all FQ. either way, really the whole PO resort is one of, if not my favorite resort Disney has. idk, it's just when i think of my favorite hotels at Disney the first ones to pop up are Riverside and French Quarter. and i agree, i also love Riverside's food court. you're eating in the mill it's so cool, but the food offered at FQ's is sooo good though!
Really. I know it can be confusing, especially since there are two different resorts that both start with "Port Orleans".

Port Orleans Riverside has two sections, Mansions and Alligator Bayou. The Mansions were originally supposed to be like Old South plantations. The Alligator Bayou is, well, the bayou part.

Port Orleans French Quarter is supposed to be like the French Quarter.

They really should have given the two resorts completely different names.

I hope that clears it up for anyone else who gets confused. :)

I just know someone is going to jump in with Dixie Landings info, lol.

Upvote 0

Tom 55

Hello-

While I am not new to Disney or their resorts, I am new to going with children. We are going in September to celebrate our son's first birthday and we are booked at the Port Orleans Riverside. I typically stay at a deluxe resort, however my husband who has never been to Disney doesn't see what all the fuss is about and would prefer to stay at a value, so Riverside is our happy medium.

I've never been to this resorts and was wondering what your thoughts were if you have stayed there.

I stayed at Riverside in 2004. In 2009 and 2012 I stayed at French quarter. I like French quarter better for the following reasons. The pool is centrally located at French quarter while at Riverside it is at the far north end. If you have a room other than the Gator section there is a long walk. The same is true for the dinning and bus stops. French Quarter has just one bus stop outside main building. Riverside has 4 stops, bus has to make a loop compleatly around complex. This takes more time to get to parks. Dining at French Quarter is centrally located in main building. At Riverside most rooms are across the bridge on other side of river. It is a much longer walk.
When buses are stopping at both resorts French Quater is first on and first off. We are going again in September and will be staying at French Quarter.

Upvote 0

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Here is my perspective -
Prior to 2years ago ( I think..check the signature below) we never stayed at a Deluxe.

One year we got a great deal and our first experience with a deluxe ended up being AKL.
The very next year we stayed at PORS and although AKL is a beautiful, unique resort... I have to say that personally I didn't feel any kind of a "let down". In fact I would take the pool at PORS over AKL any day.

I think bang for your buck that PORS is the best resort in all of WDW.

Upvote 0

WDW-Crazy

I've read over this thread and was very thrilled to hear all the positive remarks about this resort. We'll also be staying here for our first time in August (we did the French Quarter back in January of 1999). I was wondering if you plan to drive your own car to the parks, how is parking at this resort if you stay at the parks till close and then drive back? We never had any problems finding a good parking spot at the All-Star resorts when we stay there but at Pop, we were afraid to move our car because we had a great spot and parking seemed to be a problem there. Was just wondering how such a situation usually would be here. Other than that, looking forward to trying this place out!

Upvote 0

ShookieJones

Shhh @ShookieJones...Dont let the cat out the bag..I love it when I hear people say its a huge resort with too much walking involved.Yeah! Wait till they hit the parks,then you'll know what power walkings all about..That leisurely walk thro the grounds at night is like being transported back to " Gone with the Wind " ;)

Don't worry I hear only like 4 or 5 people (including us) visit these forums and the ones that do don't like to talk about WDW resorts much so I think our secret is probably safe.

Upvote 0

ShookieJones

I've read over this thread and was very thrilled to hear all the positive remarks about this resort. We'll also be staying here for our first time in August (we did the French Quarter back in January of 1999). I was wondering if you plan to drive your own car to the parks, how is parking at this resort if you stay at the parks till close and then drive back? We never had any problems finding a good parking spot at the All-Star resorts when we stay there but at Pop, we were afraid to move our car because we had a great spot and parking seemed to be a problem there. Was just wondering how such a situation usually would be here. Other than that, looking forward to trying this place out!

We rent a car every year and we're a morning until night - park going family. We never had an issue with parking. We had some pretty solid spots right up front at the sidewalk or a spot directly across.

Upvote 0

jayhawkmickey

Loved it, very romantic. Great themeing, great food, pretty grounds, lots of pools (never got to use one since were in the parks so much), quiet and very comfortable. Try a prefered room up near the front for easy access to busses and dining. Great staff too.

Upvote 0

WDW-Crazy

We rent a car every year and we're a morning until night - park going family. We never had an issue with parking. We had some pretty solid spots right up front at the sidewalk or a spot directly across.

That's great to hear. What time of year are you talking? For us, it will be Aug 17-24th.

Upvote 0

ShookieJones

That was when we were going in early May.
I don't know what the crowds are like in late August but May was always usually moderate crowds.

Upvote 0

mrdisman

Hello-

it's the best moderate resort and it was the only resort I stayed in until I upgraded to the deluxe resorts...I still miss it at times

Upvote 0

ml123_9

You will love Riverside. We think everything about this resort is great. I don't know if you've made any room requests, but if you stay in the Aligator Bayou section, that area doesn't have elevators. You will want to request a ground floor room. Luggin a stroller and a sleeping child up a flight of stairs is not fun for anyone. Personally, we prefer alligator bayou with a preferred room. Building 14 is the best!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom