Port Orleans Riverside ????????

N. Michigan Mom

What's the difference in decor between all the various mansions, cottages, and so on? I saw room photos showing beds made of logs. Which area would these be in? Thinking of upgrading from POP to split stay w/POR.

DisneyWood

When is your trip?

When are you heading to WDW? We have scheduled our trip for this coming October. We started planning it about a year and 1/2 ago.. The reason I am telling you this is b/c we had pre-paid for our room during the year. I called last weekend about an email I received from WDW reservations about upcoming discounts.

They applied the discounts to my reservation (Fort Wilderness Cabin) and the nightly rate went from $299 to $168. :sohappy: :sohappy: So, we did the obvious, got 2 cabins for the price we were expecting to pay anyway. This gives us a lot more room b/c we have 2 families (4 adults, 2 children & 1 infant)..

Upvote 0

Ergens2

We love POR. It is very nice. PO French Quarter is a lot of fun too. That side of the resort is smaller in comparision to Riverside. If you like New Orleans you would love this resort. The buildings all look like row houses and it is set right on the river with cobblestone streets and gas lamps. It is very romantic! I also love the New Orleans style food they offer in the food court. If you have never had beignets before you MUST try them! They are puffs of fried dough covered in powdered sugar. They are so light and melt in your mouth!! YUM!!!

Shelley :wave:

Upvote 0

skeeter

Other than the theme, is there any difference in the room of a value resort and a moderate resort (other than two sinks at the vanity area). I was trying to compare rooms and they look similiar. Anyone know if there are other differences?

Upvote 0

TURKEY

skeeter said:
Other than the theme, is there any difference in the room of a value resort and a moderate resort (other than two sinks at the vanity area). I was trying to compare rooms and they look similiar. Anyone know if there are other differences?

The size of the rooms are a bit bigger at the moderates.

Upvote 0

Kadee

Ergens2 said:
We love POR. It is very nice. PO French Quarter is a lot of fun too. That side of the resort is smaller in comparision to Riverside. If you like New Orleans you would love this resort. The buildings all look like row houses and it is set right on the river with cobblestone streets and gas lamps. It is very romantic! I also love the New Orleans style food they offer in the food court. If you have never had beignets before you MUST try them! They are puffs of fried dough covered in powdered sugar. They are so light and melt in your mouth!! YUM!!!

Shelley :wave:
I'm planning a weekend in New Orleans (the REAL one) the first weekend in October! Can NOT wait to get beignets and coffee at the Cafe` du Monde. I'm only 3 hours away and go a couple of time a year. And of course, I'll be on Bourbon Street, too. (Maybe I'll post some picks if I am able to take them)

Back on topic.... POR is an amazing resort. I was pleasantly surprised at what you got for the money. IMO, it is the best moderate resort (Riverside OR French Quarter). BUt I prefer Riverside in Magnolia Bend (Oak Manor building for its proximity to the food court)

EDIT: forgot to answer one other question you had.... and you may wnat to check on this. Moderate & Deluxes are rumored to be putting in refridgerators (on request of guest) at no charge. At the values, you still have to pay $10/night. I've heard mixed reports on this, so check on it first.

Upvote 0

DDuckFan130

I have a question, which may seem rather weird :lookaroun. We might stay at POR because there are 5 of us. I went to the official WDW site and put all our information just to see what would come out, and they gave us POR, in the rooms with the trundle beds. So anyway...

I was looking at the menus for POR's food court, and could not find Mickey waffles, or any waffles. Does this resort have them?? We absolutely love Mickey waffles and like to traditionally have them for breakfast at least one morning during our trip.

Thanks! :wave:

Upvote 0

mrtoad

We have stayed at both POR in the Aligator Bayou section as well as POFQ. I prefer POR as it is more spread out. Both are excellent though. As for going in the Bayou or the Manor secion I think it just depends on taste. Both rooms are the same size with different furniture.

They are in the process of renonovating the rooms so ask which buildings have already been done and that might help your decision. POFQ is done already.

Enjoy the trip! :)

Upvote 0

mrtoad

DDuckFan130 said:
I have a question, which may seem rather weird :lookaroun. We might stay at POR because there are 5 of us. I went to the official WDW site and put all our information just to see what would come out, and they gave us POR, in the rooms with the trundle beds. So anyway...

I was looking at the menus for POR's food court, and could not find Mickey waffles, or any waffles. Does this resort have them?? We absolutely love Mickey waffles and like to traditionally have them for breakfast at least one morning during our trip.

Thanks! :wave:

Regina,

I am not sure if they have Mickey waffles but would assume the sit down restraunt has them. Boatwrights is that restraunt and is excellent. You won't be dissapointed. Awesome cajun bloody marys too from the bar next door! (not for breakfast at least for me) :)

Upvote 0

mrtoad

N. Michigan Mom said:
What's the difference in decor between all the various mansions, cottages, and so on? I saw room photos showing beds made of logs. Which area would these be in? Thinking of upgrading from POP to split stay w/POR.

Sorry for the 3rd quick post. I have not stayed at Pop but did try the All Stars. POR is WAY, WAY, WAY nicer in my oppinion. Just thought I would mention it.

Upvote 0

DDuckFan130

mrtoad said:
Regina,

I am not sure if they have Mickey waffles but would assume the sit down restraunt has them. Boatwrights is that restraunt and is excellent. You won't be dissapointed. Awesome cajun bloody marys too from the bar next door! (not for breakfast at least for me) :)
Thanks Mike. I am 19 however. I can't have any liquor for two more years...at least, not legally :rolleyes:. Just kidding, I don't drink :lol:.

Upvote 0

mrtoad

DDuckFan130 said:
Thanks Mike. I am 19 however. I can't have any liquor for two more years...at least, not legally :rolleyes:. Just kidding, I don't drink :lol:.

Yeah I know but you will be going back some day I am sure and wanted to make sure you were ready for it. If you like spicy stuff, they are excellent. For now Boatwright's though is awesome food. Enjoy your trip!

Mike

EDIT - you can probably ask for virgin one too if you just want to try the spicyness of it!

Upvote 0

WDWRLD

IMO POR is the best moderate. You get the feel of the deluxe for the price or MOD. As far as what area....The story goes like this......When the area was settled they started building the mansions as money was no object. This being Partaree Place. Then as they went farther up the river they has less money to spend so the buildings are not as ornate. The second building you get to is Oak Manor, Then Magnolia Terrace, Then Finally Arcadian House. By this time the settlers were really short on money so they started to use what they had on the land to build the buildings. This being Alligator Bayou. These buildings are very rustic and also at the end of the sasch....(sp) river. Well that is the very rough version as I remember it. I read something one tme that had the complete storyline on how the resort was themed. I think that POR is the only MOD to offer water taxis?

Upvote 0

N. Michigan Mom

Original Poster
AB or MB refurbishments

Well, I was lucky enough to get our ressies at AP discount rates for our dec 17-31 stay. I like the rustic theming of AB, but I like new refurbished amenities of any theme even better. What are the chances AB will be refurbished by December. Advise on room request. DH, DD8, DD12 and me.

We're making the switch X-mas day. Santa will leave us the upgrade under the tree in the morning along with LaNouba tickets for that night. I'm thinking it would be fun to take the boat to DTD for the show. Make it a special day. I think we'll spend some of the day at MGM. Going to avoid MK. :xmas: :xmas: :xmas: :xmas:

Upvote 0

mrtoad

N. Michigan Mom said:
Well, I was lucky enough to get our ressies at AP discount rates for our dec 17-31 stay. I like the rustic theming of AB, but I like new refurbished amenities of any theme even better. What are the chances AB will be refurbished by December. Advise on room request. DH, DD8, DD12 and me.

We're making the switch X-mas day. Santa will leave us the upgrade under the tree in the morning along with LaNouba tickets for that night. I'm thinking it would be fun to take the boat to DTD for the show. Make it a special day. I think we'll spend some of the day at MGM. Going to avoid MK. :xmas: :xmas: :xmas: :xmas:

Some of the AB room might be done. I would ask and see. I prefer the theming of the AB rooms, though I have only seend photos of the inside of the manor homes. The manor homes themselves look very nice but cramped together. It might not really be that way but it looks that way to me.

Another thing to consider is finding out what buildings that have been completed are closeset to the main building. Some of them can be a pretty far walk from the building.

No matter what, you will love it. It is a beautiful resort. :)

Upvote 0

TURKEY

I don't know of the progress or timetable on any of the Bayou buildings, if they are even getting a rehab.

I know that all of the mansions have been completed.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom