Port Orleans Riverside

wilary

I have reservations at POR for next week. I've never stayed there, but have tried to read about it. It seems pretty nice for a Moderate Resort.

Has anyone ever stayed here? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

westie

I like it. Nice location and restaurants. My only gripe was that it was very noisy. And from staying on the bottom floor, you had to watch out for wildlife running in your room!

Upvote 0

RMJKS05

In The Spirit of Ebert & Roeper...

...Two thumbs up! We were there 8/16 - 8/23!

Location, Loaction, Location! That's the key. We were in Alligator Bayou, Building 18 (I'm a smoker and we need the trundle for DS) Right next to a quiet pool, short walk to main lobby, food court & bus stop.

Didn't have a problem with critters 'cause we were on the 2nd floor. Nor did we think it was all that noisy, our room was on the opposite side of where the pool was.

The only drawback as we saw it - PORs bus stop was usually among the farthest from the entrance at the 4 theme parks.

Upvote 0

Lilo

If you need detailed info about POR contact WannabeBelle on the PM and she will give all the details. She stays there all the time (at least 3 times a year).:hammer:

Upvote 0

maureen ashton

Please elaborate on wild critters.!!! We are staying there next week also and I am about to request a ground floor in Bayou if a room in the Mansions is not available, due to no elevator in Bayou. Need to know about critters!!! before I do this.

Upvote 0

tduck

We have stayed at riverside several times. we will be there next week also. the only wild animals I ever seen were rabbits&ducks.we love it there.Itis very peaceful&quiet. THey have an entertainer in the lounge on thur.- fri-sat.If you get a chance check it out. He is very funny. kids love him too. try Boatwrights for breakfast.food court is very good. Have fun. you will love it.

Upvote 0

wilary

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the input. I'm getting excited. It's the first time I've stayed at an actual Disney resort (If you don't count the Swan or Dolphin)....

Upvote 0

BigNorm

That's the one that I had always wanted to stay at and we got to this year. I have to say I was more than impressed and don't ever want to stay anywhere else. It definately has that southern charm thing going for it. It's like staying in a Mark Twain novel, it's beautiful.

Upvote 0

shari71

I stayed there for my honeymoon in 1996 and every year since except for 2000 (just delivered my first daughter) and this year (Grand Floridian just for a change and fun).

POR is great. We absolutely love the boat ride to Downtown Disney. Very calming and romantic. There is a great selection in the food court (pizza, spaghetti, chicken, hamburgers, french fries, pastries, bacon/sausage, pancakes, fried potatoes, etc.) and a nice restaurant.

There is one main pool and a lot of little pools spread out. You can also go to POFQ and use their pool that is shaped like a dragon or dinosaur if I remember correctly. There are four bus stops at POR and one at POFQ and they all share the same buses. That is one of my big pet peeves...at each park it seems like the bus stop is the farthest out and I am not joking. We also seem to be as far away from the bus stops at the resort as you can get.

You will do a lot of walking at POR unless you get a room close to the reception/food court. Seems like we are the farthest out on each trip. Don't bother with spending more $$ for a water view thinking you will get closer to the main building. We did that last year and got a good view of the pool and as far away from the main building. It was in the AB, I think building 38.

There is also a lot to do without going to the parks. You can rent boats, bicycles, fishing rods, etc. There is even an arcade.

Rooms are nice. One complaint is the amount of space over the sinks. Just not enough for all your stuff and all the kids stuff.

Last year we went during the Halloween season and everyday my daughters stuffed animals were arranged in various scenes. One day watching TV, the next looking out the window as if waiting for us to return. Housekeeping also left wash rags bundled up like bunnies and ghost with stickers on them.

There is not much in the way of room service. You can order a pizza but not much else. They do have the refillable cups that you purchase for around $8 and get free refills the trip at that hotel.

We have stayed in Magnolia Terrace once and loved it. All other times at AB. It is interesting, but I think I prefer MT.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your trip....32 days until we get there!

Upvote 0

jojoyner55

As you will note from my signature, we have stayed there 3 times. It is, IMHO, the best of the moderates. The theming and landscaping are gorgeous, and Boatwright's is great. Several times on these forums people have compared it to getting a "deluxe" feel for a moderate price. I heartly agree. But I will always think of it as Dixie Landings!:D

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hi all!!! OK Lilo, I acknowledge your statement, incorrect though it may be. This year was 2 times at Riverside, 2 times at Coronado. Shows how much you pay attention when I talk tto you!!
Anyhow onto my description of Riverside: GORGEOUS!!!!!!
I have stayed there many times over the years and it is probably my favorite of the Moderates. I prefer the Mansion section over the Bayou section just because the walkways are twisty turny in the Bayou section. The Mansions are laid out in a more straight foward manner which I prefer. For photos of the inside of the rooms check WWW.WDWIG.com under the Accomodations section. This area also includes a review of the resort which is pretty accurate. I also prefer the walk along the Sassagoula River in the morning on my way to Boatwright's. You simply must try the breakfast there. It is by far one of the best on property ANYWHERE!! The atmosphere is very relaxed and laid back. As far as critters I agree I hadnt seen anything besides ducks and the occasional bunny. I refer to PO Riverside as my Sweet Southern Home. I havent ever experienced any noise in my 3 or 4 visits to this resort. If you want noise Id recommend one of the Values. I usually tend to have that problem more often there than in any Moderate resort. I have specified a waterview room once at this resort and for the $10.00 a night difference, I thought it was well worth it. The Location happened to be excellent. As previously said, I think this was more luck of the draw but check out the Map of the entire resort at the website mentioned above to get a better feel for the layout of the resort. Anymore questions, please post and Ill do my best to answer them!! Belle

Upvote 0

Stellajack

Originally posted by wilary

Has anyone ever stayed here? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Wilary, you're going to love PO-R! My favorite section happens to be the mansions of Magnolia Terrace with "quiet pools" nearby and the most beautiful lattice canopy of roses you will ever see. Also, if you have kids, "Ol Man Island" is just over the bridge. The food court is one of the best in the WORLD, lots of selections. Water taxi rides to DTD along the Sassagoula and now even horse & carriage rides. This is a great resort and you won't be sorry for chosing it. Now look what I've done--made myself sick that I'm not going with you! Anyway, :cry: hope YA'LL have a wonderful time without me!:cry:

Upvote 0

LivefortheMouse

I think this is the best of the moderate resorts its beautiful and wonderful. It has an awesome suvernir shop. While ur there u must eat at Boat wrights its a great restaurant inside por riverside.

Upvote 0

RMJKS05

Originally posted by maureen ashton
Please elaborate on wild critters.!!! We are staying there next week also and I am about to request a ground floor in Bayou if a room in the Mansions is not available, due to no elevator in Bayou. Need to know about critters!!! before I do this.
...The only critters I recall were ducks & rabbits. The first floor at Alligator Bayou is actually a few steps up off the ground. It'd have to be an awfully determined critter that climbs the steps to encroach on ones room.

Upvote 0

mrtoad

Hello,

I have stayed there 3 times. I still call it Dixie Landings though. The name change still makes no sense to me.

As a kid we stayed at the Polynesian, but that is out of my range.

On our honeymoon, my wife and I stayed at Port Orleans (now Port Orleans French Quarter) and loved it.

Our next trip we did Dixie and I was reluctant at first becuase I really like PO. But Dixie was way better. Very relaxing. The pool bar by Ol' Man Island (swiming pool) has the best Cajun Bloody Mary's I've had.

We stayed there our following trip, loved it again.

On our next trip, my wife and I took my two younger brothers who were 7 & 9 at the time I think or 8 & 10. :veryconfu and my father paid for the hotel because we were taking them down. He set us up at the All Star Sports Resort. We absolutly hated it. It was small, that I could deal with but it was way loud. There was a cheerleader compitition going on. We were very upset, we had girls running past our room at all hours doing cheers.

Long story short, we transfered over to Dixie Landings and appreciated it that much more.

You will love it.

PS- if you are close enough to the main building, it is well worth the price to get one of the drink refill mugs on the first day. It will pay for itself in like 3 or 4 drinks.

Upvote 0

westie

What I meant by critters was that if you stay on the ground floor with women that adore furry creatures and they leave little treats outside your door for them, you may get a bunny, and/or a squirrel in your room. Subsequently, when inside your room the animal reverts back to its natural state, runs across the beds, in the bathroom, back under the beds, women freak, kids cry, and you get a better wake up than a triple capucino! Fun but, I don't wanna do it again.

Upvote 0

Gucci65

I'm glad this question was posted since I am going to POR for the first time as well this December. I think we will be in Alligator Bayou. I have been kinda hesitant about staying there, but now I'm excited!!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom