Port Orleans Riverside

Katybug

My boyfriend and I are going to Disney World December 15-21. We are staying at Port Orleans Riverside. I have heard a lot of good things about this hotel and a lot of bad things. Can anyone who has recently gone give me any advice?

Also we are REALLY into Christmas so we want a tree in our room. The only thing I have been able to find is a florist nearby has 4 foot trees for $350. That's way too high!! Does anyone have any ideas??

lilclerk

Also we are REALLY into Christmas so we want a tree in out room. The only thin I have been able to find is a florist near by has 4 foot trees for $350. That's way too high!! Does anyone have any ideas??

I've never stayed at POR, but I've never heard anything really bad about it.

About the Christmas tree, if you have a car, you could head over to a Target or Walmart and grab a cheap little tree there. Or if you don't have a car, you could ship one and some ornaments to the hotel before you leave.

Upvote 0

sbkline

We stayed there in April and we loved it.

As far as a tree, do you have to have a real tree, or can you just bring your own artificial one from home and set up in your room? It would be alot cheaper than 350 bucks.

Upvote 0

wild01ride

I can't imagine anything bad about POR!
I have been numerous times, the most recent of which was Sept. 28-Oct. 2 (including Oct. 1 for Epcot's 25th! - WooHoo!).

The hotel is divided into two sections:

Magnolia Bend and Alligator Bayou.
The Magnolia Bend portion is a series of "Plantation Buildings" that are all white and generally squarish with reasonable landscaping. In my opinion, they're a little plain-looking from the outside.

Alligator Bayou is made up of more rustic-looking buildings which are assymetric shapes, are earth-tone browns, beiges, dark greens, etc. They are surrounded by LOTS of overgrown, lush landscaping with trees, shrubery, man-made swamps, and meandering pathways.

Alligator Bayou is our natural choice. We really enjoy the lush green all around and the fact that you can feel like you're in a secluded place even when the place is busy.

Personally, I think that Riverside has the most enveloping theme of all the moderate resorts. It has beautiful scenery, has a natural-ish river flowing through it, it has Ol' Man Island complete with freeform swimming pool, "Muddy Waters" pool bar, and a Fishin' Hole.

The food court is great - the hot breakfasts can be had after 7am and pastries and coffee are available at least as early as 6:30am (maybe earlier?). I honestly cannot speak to the restaurant, but I've heard that it's good (as always, restaurants are a very personal preference based on food, experience, ambiance, etc.).

The bus is shared with Port Orleans French Quarter which isn't too bad.
The bus rides themselves are quick particularly to MK and Epcot due to Riverside's central location.

As a great romantic experience, you can ride the horse-drawn carriage between French Quarter and Riverside (for a fee - not sure about the details). Or, my preference is the romantic free boat ride between the Resort and Downtown Disney. You travel through the quiet, wooded waterways of the area, past Saratoga Springs, the Treehouses, and French Quarter.

My opinion is that Riverside is the absolute best value and experience for the money of all the WDW Resorts.

I hope you enjoy your time!

Upvote 0

DisneyPirate85

PLACE IS AWESOME, DO the carriage ride, We will be there with ya Dec 15-21:sohappy:. Another option is to ship the tree down before you go, let the Resort know its coming and it'll be there waitin on ya.:lol:

Upvote 0

LuLaSue

POR is my favorite moderate resort. IMHO you can't go wrong. Carriage rides, bikes, fishing and even a crazy man playing piano. The rooms are lovely and the grounds beautiful!

As a side note I found this tid-bit on another site thought I could share it with you all.

Port Orleans Riverside will be offering the seasonal program, Campfire on de' Bayou, on Sunday and Thursday nights, October 2007 - February 2008 from 6:30 pm until 8:00 pm (weather permitting). Join Cast Members at the campfire behind the Fishin' Hole at Ol' Man Island for stories and songs from the bayou. S'mores kits are available for $5.25 each. No reservations necessary.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

I have to jump on the "I like PO:R bandwagon" as well. I found it very enjoyable, much more so than any other moderate.

One thing that is not even a complaint, but is just a warning. They have a "fishing hole" on Ol' Man island that they supposedly stock with fish. I was out there early one morning and saw otters swimming in the fishing hole. If there are otters there, all the stocking is doing is providing a free meal for them :) So if you do go fishing, don't expect to catch anything impressive. However, having said that, my kids had a blast drowning worms for a good hour, and its only a couple of bucks.

-dave

Upvote 0

phenom1307

i've stayed there 9 years in a row and are staying there again the 18th-21st of december and its def one of my favorites

a lot of people complain that the buses are horrible because it has to go to POFQ first, but i noticed when i was there earlier this year that at the parks they now split up the 2 resorts in the bus wait area. now they do occasionally combine the 2 but i really havent found a problem with it. also there are 4 bus stops around POR, but rarely do the bus drivers go to all 4. i have been on the bus maybe 5 times all together where they have gone to all 4 and even if they do it doesnt take that long to get around (usually nobody at the other stops and they only wait 1-2 mins).

the food court has some nice selections and there is a sit down, Boatwright's ( I have only been there once for breakfast and from what I can remember the food was good), and you can always walk to POFQ and enjoy their food court.

you also have boat transportation to and from POFQ as well as DTD that starts running around 11am i believe. its about a 20-25 min ride to DTD

there are several courtyard pools spread out around POR that are less crowded than the main pools

they have a nice jogging trail around POR and to POFQ and back

the rooms are also very nice

so really i have nothing to complain about, except maybe the food court because i enjoyed the old one alot better and the food isnt cooked to order like it use to be...now its resting under a warming area after its cook. but thats what its like at all the food courts now

Upvote 0

dannytaylor

I stayed there for 10 days in july of 2005,i loved the resort nice and quite very peacefull.But,the only gripe i had was that MOUSEKEEPING did not leave any fresh towels on about 3 occ. and did not vaccum the floors at times.I over looked it... people do get busy and they have alot to do.The other gripe is at CSR they would pick you up and take you to the lobby or anywhere in the resort....i liked that ecsp.if it was raining.but all in all it is a wonderful resort,have a great time.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Is there room on that PORS band wagon for little old me?

PORS it one of my favorite resorts for the numerous reasons already mentioned.

Upvote 0

Meandude

We just got back a few weeks ago. It was our second time staying there and it was great!!! The pools are good, that food court is good, and the rooms are nice. Nothing bad to say.

:shrug:

Upvote 0

mousefan1972

Count me in too! POR is my favorite!:sohappy:

Yay, awesome! I''m staying there in Dec. for the second time, but the first time was more than 11 years ago. :eek: I know alot has changed since then, including the name. :cry: Hopefully we get Alligator Bayou. That's where we stayed back in '96, and I requested it again this time.
There's one other little difference; our last trip was myself and my boyfriend of 3 months, now it's my husband of 9 years (yes, same guy :lol:), and our 2 kids!!! :D

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom