Port Orleans Riverside questions...

Deb luvs Disney

We're booked at the Port Orleans Riverside in June. Last summer we stayed at Carribbean Beach and enjoyed it but decided to try another resort.

Do you suggest a room in Magnolia Bend or Alligator Bayou?? Any suggestions will be appreciated!!

Also, does the bus transportation go through both Riverside and French Quarter before leaving for the parks?

Can people staying in Riverside use the theme pool at French Quarter? My 5 and 8 year olds base everything on how good the pool is. Does anyone have a preference over RS and FQ pools?

Thanks for you advice!!

artvandelay

Welcome to the boards! I think you can pool hop to the French Quarter pool.

I'm stayng at POR at the end of the month and I also have a question.

Do some of the rooms come with a hair dryer?

I checked Disney's website and didn't get a clear answer.

Thanks in asvance.

Upvote 0

Tom

Beta Return
To answer all your questions:

We've stayed in Riverside 3 times, once 3 years ago, then the last 2 years in a row, and we're going again in June this year.

The first time we stayed in the Bayou. There is only one bus stop over there in that area, and its far if you're in the wrong building. The second two times, and this upcoming time, we go for the Mansions. It all depends on your taste - the Bayou is more rustic, 2-story buidlings, shady woods, winding paths, swampy. The Mansions are more stately looking, straight paths, perfect yards, and along the river with little shade. There are 2 bus stops near the mansions, and its a hop-skip-and a jump to the main building.

The busses pick up at both resorts and drop off at both resorts, on the same bus loop - however, there is only one stop at the French Qtr, and 4 at Riverside.

Yes, you can walk right over to the FQ and use their pools. All the pools are open, and as long as you're a Disney Resort Guest, they won't bother you....they never check anyway.

As for hair dryers - I don't think so. Call the front desk and ask them 407-934-6000 :D

Anyway, I'll be there with my brother, again, from June 6-12. Perhaps we'll see some of you there!

Upvote 0

Diane Hughess

Riverside is one of my favorites..

I actually prefer the Bayou--@ building 35. You have a short walk through some woods to get to the bus stop, and it is the FIRST stop through all of Port Orleans, and the first stop on your return!! You are nearly guarenteed a seat, and when you are coming back to the hotel, exhausted from your long day, you get off the bus first, and have a short walk to your room. Also, Riverside & French both have 2 "attraction" pools with theme areas--Riverside is an "Ole Man Island" theme, and French has a large Sea Serpent slide pool. But at Riverside, between each 'cluster' of about 3 hotel 'buildings', there is a pool which is open 24 hrs., there is just no life guard. My four year old thought it was her own private pool, as there were hardly ever people in it, and we could use it early or late in the day. We had a rental car, so we just drove down to French, but you could just hop on any bus and let the driver know where you are heading, and he/she will let you know where to get off.
I'm thinking that there is a hairdryer, though, because I remember it was a hassle last year to plug in my cell phone charger near the vanity area...
The only problem I have ever had in the last 4 yrs of staying there was bus service back to the hotel from Downtown Disney. It was about 9 pm, my three year old was passed out, lying on me, and we had to wait for THREE busses to leave (@ 1/2 hr) before we finally managed to fight our way on to the bus. A kind person gave up their seat for me. Also, that was the only time the bus went 'backwards'--it stopped at French first, and our stop was dead last (figures).:king:

Upvote 0

Tom

Beta Return
Indeed, if you get the right building in the Bayou, you're SUPER close to the bus stop over there, but "miles" from the Main Building. When we stayed there, we would just get up and go do breakfast at the Riverside Mill, then hop on the bus at the Main Building bus stop - pretty convenient - then get off at the one closest to our room.

I don't remember hair dryers in the Mansions, but I could be wrong.

As for Downtown Disney - one major feature of Riverside is that after 7pm, you can take the shuttle boat right from the Riverside Marina to Downtown Disney, and back, FOR FREE! It's a large pontoon boat and runs continuously - and hardly anyone uses it! MUCH better than the bus for that trip.

Upvote 0

Lilmama21

Excellent question, I was going to ask it myself! My family is staying POR early May. I've never been so I have no idea what building to request. My mom got a 'waterview' (I have no idea why but that's what we got). My friend goes once a year and she likes building 14 but she's so ditzy..she doesn't know if it's Magnolia or Alligator Bayou (and not knowing the hotel personally, I'm not sure if there's more than one building 14). Course she isn't the word of god anyways so I'm not sure what we'll be doing once we get there...

Upvote 0

Deb luvs Disney

Original Poster
Thanks Tom and Diane for all of the info. I printed out the map - it's kinda hard to read but still helpful. It's so hard to decide where to request a room, but I'm sure wherever we are we will be just fine - we'll be at Disney of course!!! I guess it also depends what's available when we check in also. Tom we arrive the week after you leave. Have a wonderful trip and thanks again for all the info!!

Upvote 0

spikesmom

Port Orleans opinion

We have stayed in both Riverside and French Quarter. Our most recent trip was at Riverside, stayed in Building 14 (Alligator Bayou)and we really liked the convenience of being so close to the food court building and the bus stop. At the same time, the greenery was so pretty when we stepped out of our room, and you never felt like there were a lot of other people around.The "Old Man River" atmosphere was lovely.IMHO the mansions part of POR is too far from the food court/main building area but some people love it and it looks very pretty.
Overall the ambiance, landscaping, beautiful riverside location, boat service to Downtown Disney, make this such a great place to stay. My only complaint is the restaurant (Boatwrights) , we thought it was terrible.

Upvote 0

crazydaveh

I have stayed at Port Orleans many times in the past two years. You can pool hop. You can go swimming over at AKL if you want to. I know because I've done it! A CM asked to see our room key and we showed it to them at the AKL pool, and they said "Welcome" and we had a blast!

There was not a hairdrier in the room. We had to call the front desk, and two hours later we had one. There was NO charge.

Hope this helps!

I like the pool at RIverside... It's big, though the hot tubs get full with teens at night and it's annoying.

Upvote 0

Lilmama21

Originally posted by edwardtc
For all of you who are having trouble with your building numbers and making a choice in where to stay within POR....

http://allearsnet.com/acc/pomap1.jpg

:D

Thank you Tom, I didn't see any maps on alleasnet before! That at least gives me an idea of the layout. Thanks :)

And if anyone knows of a bigger one that my older mom could see, I'd like the link. I'll probably make the decisions but she might want to look at it. :)

Upvote 0

Tom

Beta Return
Originally posted by Lilmama21
Thank you Tom, I didn't see any maps on alleasnet before! That at least gives me an idea of the layout. Thanks :)

And if anyone knows of a bigger one that my older mom could see, I'd like the link. I'll probably make the decisions but she might want to look at it. :)

I think, if you download and save that map from Allears, that you can use Windows Picture Viewer to blow it up a bit. Perhaps not.

I have a paper version here, but that's really not much help to you, now, is it? :hammer:

Upvote 0

dixiegirl

we've stayed at port orleans many times even backl when it was dixie landings and we love it we always stay in the bayou section i believe building 18 which was pretty good and close to everything. we stayed once ( by accident) in the mansion section.way to far to get to anything nice but not like the bayou area . we are going back again in nov....

Upvote 0

Tom

Beta Return
I dunno, we stayed in the Bayou once, 3 years ago. We were in like 24, 25, or 26 and it was close to that west depot....but SO FAR from the main buidling. It just depends on where you get a room.

We have stayed in the mansions twice now, and they're great. Acadian and Magnolia are right next to bus stops, and you just cross a bridge and you're at the main building or the pool!

The theming is really what makes a difference. If you like rustic, shady paths, moss and swampy feeling - go Bayou! If you like perfect grass, flowers, elegance, and water views - then go Mansion!

To each their own!

Upvote 0

Lilmama21

Originally posted by edwardtc
I think, if you download and save that map from Allears, that you can use Windows Picture Viewer to blow it up a bit. Perhaps not.

I have a paper version here, but that's really not much help to you, now, is it? :hammer:

A little bit ago that same idea came to me so saved it to my computer and was able to zoom in a bit. It doesn't give the clearest view but it definitely gave me a much better idea. Not ever been there, I'm trying to get an idea what to expect. I tried to find the map on the site and couldn't find the links so thank you so much for the link orginally, I bookmarked it :)

And ya....unless you happen to live in the same town as me...paper version prooobabbly won't help but that's okay, the link was a great start :animwink:

Upvote 0

jutz53

We have stayed at POR for the past six years, will be there again
May 6 - 17th. We will be in Bayou as we have been for the past five years. We have stayed in buildings 35 & 36 the past few years very close to the bus stop. You have a longer walk to the main pool, however, there are six quiet pools throughout. There have never been hairdryers in either the bayou or the mansions in the seven years we have been there. It is a great resort, the
grounds are beautiful and the boat ride to DD is great. Have a great trip. :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom