Port Orleans Riverside or French Quarter?

Hi, I am planning a trip to Disney in August, and I have decided that I am down to Port Orleans Riverside and Port Orleans French Quarter. I also am not sure what room to stay in. Is it worth it to pay an extra $200 for the trip for a better room. The parks I really set my sights on are Magic Kingdom and Epcot, and I know that both Orleans resorts aren't really close to either, (closer to Epcot), and I just wanted to get some other opinions. Thanks, ;)

Plutos Pal

We stayed at Riverside last year and were very happy. We had a nice room in close distance to the pool, Restaurant and bus stops. Riverside is definitely spread out. Depending on where your room is located, I can see how someone can be disappointed with their experience. We stayed at the French Quarter 8 years ago and we enjoyed that also but I would pick Riverside again if it came down to a choice.

Upvote 0

RonAnnArbor

Oh my gosh -- hundreds of similar posts to this....do a search of the many identical threads we have for lots and lots and lots of opinions on both....Personally I go to WDW a couple times a year and the ONLY place I stay anymore is POFQ...best moderate resort for adults to be sure. If you have small kids, Riverside has more activities for them.

Upvote 0

PUSH

We've stayed at Riverside for probably 4 or 5 years now and love it. It is our home away from home. I've never stayed at French Quarter but have walked over there a couple times. Their food court is rather small, whereas Riverside's is considered one of the best on Disney property. I've never had a very long walk from the lobby area to our room; you just have to know what bridges to use.

As for rooms, at Riverside I recommend the Mansion/Manor rooms. I just don't like the whole feel of the Bayou rooms. Either way, all rooms have been refurbished in the past couple years. Another option are the Royal Guest rooms, which I find to be a waste of money since we aren't in the room that much.

Hope I helped!

Upvote 0

donaldtoo

We've stayed at POR twice ('01, '04) and loved it both times. :)
We've never stayed at POFQ, but I know it's more compact and less spread out, and from what I understand it tends to be quieter, although I don't ever remember POR bein' "loud".

Upvote 0

mickey2008.1

POFQ is beautiful, and has been renovated i believe within the past three years, or at least the beds have. There is not much to do there for adults though. The pool bar is ok, and there is no nightlife. We are going to try POR in 2013. The size does not matter, as we have stayed at CBR, and never had a problem with its size. POR has separate bus stops, a larger food court, and a bar for nightime entertainment. Plus POR has the new Royal rooms, which look awesome, and will find out in September.Either way, you have access to both resorts, it's just a matter of which style fits you.

Upvote 0

islandersfan1

Original Poster
I have been doing my research, and I am leaning towards POFQ, as I don't really care about it being smaller than POR, but it helps, and it sounds like it is nicer just to take something like a walk at sunset, being more quiet and everything.

Upvote 0

ROE

Literally just returned from French Quarter, had a fantastic time. Would definitely go back, for two adults it's a nice hotel. I had the same concerns and you just have to read everything!

I'm not a fan of the swimming pool theme, they need to redo it with a more 'real' feel (Riversides is better). However for swimming it's fine!

Riversides food court is so much better and although it's bigger it feels much nicer and more homely. POFQ just feels like the warehouse they intended it to (so I suppose they got it right!) but it's not a pleasant feel to come back to. Having said that the walk from POFQ to PORS is nice and makes a great after dinner stroll. Get the bus back to Riverside, have some food, then stroll back (or better yet eat elsewhere).

The bus stop at POFQ I would argue is it's biggest asset, one stop, easy to reach and at park closing the resorts have separate buses and the POFQ queue was always shorter. No Park Opening/Closing buses went to both resorts. During the day some buses had a tendency to visit PORS before POFQ on the way back. I guess there is a reason (bus frequency?) but it annoyed me no end! Especially when they didn't stop at Riversides main stop first (would of been quicker to walk back to POFQ).

The room depends on what you like, we upgraded to a King Room (in turn got a River view without asking) and it was probably one of the best rooms there for our needs.

Other than that it was compact, never seemed busy (even during Thanks Giving), the streets seem so peaceful all the time and everything else was nice. I would consider Riverside for my next stay but POFQ would be my top choice of the two (based on a two week stay).

This probably doesn't help but I don't think you can go too wrong with either. I found reading peoples perspectives of distance and time to be a bit misleading when I was researching, compared to actually being there. Depends a lot on how fast you walk and how tired you get during the day!

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Have stayed at both..FQ once..RS three times including this year..My opinion..both resorts are awesome..When people say that RS is spread out,I think that's part of its charm.Standing on the bridge overlooking the Sassagoula river and watching the sunrise is beautiful? Foodcourts I'd say riverside wins for fun,lots more choices..Resort shop..Again Riversides Fultons is awesome..Now breakfast goodies..FQ wins with its Beignets..Entertainment..This is where I get shot down but give me the jazz man at FQ over Hee Haw Bob at RS anyday.But at the end of the day,you will love them both.;)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom