Port Orleans - Riverside or French Quarter?

jozzmenia

OK, after the nearly unanimous results in my last poll, I've decided to stay at Port Orleans. What I don't understand is, what are the differences, and what is better? I thought we would like the music at FQ, but people seem to like POR as well. More details please.

Leighbert

We stayed in POFQ last spring and loved it. We liked the architecture, the room decor, the swimming pool, and the proximity to everything, especially Downtown Disney. We also liked the fact that the buses stopped at POFQ before stopping at POR so we always got a seat on the way to the parks.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

I like POR because they have a sit down restaurant for breakfast, so I don't have to fight the insanity of the food court in the morning. There are some mornings that I just can't handle that.

Upvote 0

I luv WDW

French Quarter

My family has stayed in both and we prefer FQ. Riverside is too spread out, too far to walk from the man lobby area to the room, likewise from the room to the bus stop. FQ is more compact, easier to get around. Besides, FQ folks always get picked up and dropped off first on the Disney buses.:king:

Upvote 0

ChipnDaleGal

I adore FQ because it's one of the most compact resorts. It only takes 5 minutes at most to walk to the pool, lobby, food court, or bus stop no matter where your room is. It's the first stop for the busses doing the entire PO loop, and for busses running solely to FQ, there's only one stop to worry about. The architecture is beautiful and so relaxing and the boat ride to DD is an added plus. I won't stay at any of the other moderate resorts anymore!

The best part??

BEIGNETS!! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

DDuck1974

I have to go with FQ. I love the architecture, and the more intimate feel (and actual size) of the resort. I miss not having a full-service restaurant, but I think all of the other FQ positives outweighs. (Plus, I am admittedly biased, as my wife and I honeymooned there in 1998)

Upvote 0

pinkrose

We've stayed at both and POFQ is my favorite. I love them both, but there's just something about FQ that I like better. You can't go wrong with either one though.

Upvote 0

Nansafan

POFQ, love the size. At the end of the night, the 5 minute walk from the bus stop or boat dock back to your room cannot be beat. Besides, you can shoot over to POR if you want to eat breakfast in a sit-down.

Upvote 0
I haven't stayed at POR, but I have to agree with the points several others have made about POFQ's intimacy and convenience. You can walk anywhere in the resort in no time. It's much quicker and easier to go down to the lobby for shopping or food than any other WDW resort I've been in. Same goes for the pool.

The capper for me is the bus service, though. You're first to load, so you can always get a seat, and in the evenings you're the first stop coming out of the parks. It's the only moderate I'll stay in from now on.

One last note about the buses - the ones for PO (Riverside and FQ) always seemed to be quick when we were at WDW last year. We never had to wait long at any park. It was great!

Upvote 0

ryguy

This is a hard question to answer because we don't know much about you. Do you have kids? Traveling alone or with a significant other, all these factors play a part in the decision making process. In general POR has more options for everything. Food, pools, etc.. Another positive about POR is that their rooms have been refurbished in the last year or so. Which is always a nice plus. I am not sure if POFQ has been refurbished lately maybe someone here can update us on that. If it were me I would stay at POR to be safe and check out POFQ while down there to see if I would like to stay at the FQ on my next trip. You can always go over to FQ to get food if that is the draw. Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

Miss Bell

I'm echoing a lot of people: I like both, but I love French Quarter. The atmosphere, the architecture, the pool, but most of all, the size. I don't think I will ever want to stay at any other moderate. I know there are some diehard Riverside fans out there, too, and I have nothing negative to say about Riverside--I just like French Quarter better.

Upvote 0

jozzmenia

Original Poster
ryguy said:
This is a hard question to answer because we don't know much about you. Do you have kids? Traveling alone or with a significant other, all these factors play a part in the decision making process.

Oh sorry! I would be happy to submit to a full interview if it means u guys can help me plan the perfect vacation! :sohappy: :p

I am 26, haven't been to Disney in like 6 or 7 years, no kids, going with my boyfriend who is 29, and he has NEVER been to Disney. I have never stayed in a Disney hotel except maybe when i was like 7 years old. We always stay off site when we come to Orlando. As the trip nears, I will be getting more pointers about what's good for our age group...:cool:

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
You have definately come to the right place then. If you need help planning your trip you can always contact one of my travel consultants here on the forums or give me a shout and we will be more than happy to help you. I love helping first timers!

I vote for Riverside. I love the theming and I love walking along the pathways in the Bayou section. It's very relaxing.
Boatwrights is one of the better sit down restaurants on Disney property and you also have the convenience of the food court.

Hands down this is my favorite moderate resort.

Pam

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom