Port Orleans riverside good or bad?

Anotherfaceinthecrowd

Original Poster
Just wondering what port Orleans riverside is like we are going there in October never stayed there before, we have strayed at pop and AKL and loved both pop for its themes and AKL for opening the balcony doors and seeing the animals just walking past

I_heart_Tigger

POR is my family's favourite resort. We like the Alligator Bayou area. It's got nice winding pathways, little bridges and definitely more of a "resort" feel compared to Pop. We also really enjoy our evenings at Downtown Disney so the boat transfer is a really nice perk. It doesn't take too long, gives you a chance to sit and relax and you get to see the different sights along the river like wildlife and other resorts - the tree houses are quite neat if you've never seen them.

You get a quick service and a table service option which also puts it above Pop and it's one of the few resorts where you can actually pool hop. Just take the boat or walk to PO-French Quarter and you can use that pool as well. It's a fun one for kids because the slide is so cool looking.

You won't get the balcony/animal experience of AKL but if you are looking for something in the moderate price range I highly recommend it.

wdwstateofmind

I liked it a lot...lots of space and quiet as opposed to the other side of the river (and people will hate me for it but it's a lot nicer than POFQ, not a million tour groups running around and trying to fit 30 people in a hot tub)...I was in the alligator bayou which is more rustic than Magnolia bend so if you have a preference make sure you call up and request one over the other...

wdwstateofmind

Thanks for your views I'm going there anyway just while looking through things like tripadvisor there's a lot of mixed reviews with its size and 4 bus stops
It's not that bad. I've done it both my my own car and using Disney trans.; most people that complain about the bus situation I'd imagine have never been on a city bus or used one to go place in an actual urban area in their lives. I feel most expect it to basically pick them up at their doorstep but my personal experience was it's really not bad and I usually go during peak season.

However, that being said, if it concerns you that bad why don't you look into a rental car? They aren't that expensive at MCO.

Anotherfaceinthecrowd

Original Poster
Yea was looking into rental but on the other trips we have always used DTS with no real problems except park closing time which it to be expected and when we where over at pop we just happened to be in MK when the colts won the Super Bowl that was busy lol

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
It is an okay resort, I had some issues with the bus service but I liked our location in Alligator Bayou it was really close to the main building and the bus stop. I would say give it a shot.

habuma

It's easily our favorite resort. Our first stay was when it was known as Dixie Landings, we stayed there last trip, and we're doing it again on our upcoming trip. Was just thinking today that, at least among the moderate resorts, POR has the most character and charm.

Dwarful

We were really looking forward to our first a month ago. We arrived July 21st at 2:30 PM room wasn't ready until 345 but we enjoyed the food court, shops, walking around until the room was ready. At 3:45 we got our keys and went to our pref. room. in bldg. 14. The room seemed very nice when we arrived but we then discovered water everywhere coming from the bathroom. Upon further inspection maint. discovered a burst pipe in the wall :( Due to several factors : we were staying fourteen days, they were booked with a large Brazilian tour group and we had five in our family so we needed a room that slept five...they had to move us. So we only got to spend 4 hours at POR...we enjoyed what we saw and will give it another try. But yes it is huge, spread out and not sure about the buses. On the plus side...they moved us to Art of Animation Cars Bldg 1 and we loved it. The suite was adorable, the pools fun and the food court very nice.

zurgandfriend

We stayed there once many years ago, we enjoyed the resort very nice grounds etc. After DS came along we started staying on the monorail as it was just easier. Now DS and I are considering a father son trip next year and may stay in POR.

Last edited:

real mad hatter

For me it was like seeing Mrs Hatter 25 years ago whilst playing in a band at a wedding.There was this girl with short black hair and green eyes,dancing with her then,boyfriend . ( Yeh,I know,stole her ) She looked up at me and smiled and I winked back at her..Love at first sight..Well that's what it was like when I first booked into PORS...Something just clicked..Love at first sight..:rolleyes:..

WDWVito

We stayed at POR for the last 4 visits and love it.

Agreeing with everyone else, Alligator bayou is the preferred building.

The walk is not far to the main hall or the main bus stop.

I would not get too worried about the buses. For the most part the bus may have hit one additional stop before heading right to the parks.
Keep in mind that the bus was already pretty full after the first and second stop. If the bus is not full, they may hit all of them.

Coming back from the parks the main stop is “usually” the first.

But of course, this is from our observation…..your mileage may vary. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom