Port Orleans Pool Noise

Raj Morganberg

Just returned from our 5th trip at Riverside - Port Orleans. As usual everything was great - except for the very loud and long music emanating from the main pool. I understand the kids games being played but seriously, 5 hours long? The loud pop music was obnoxious - and it fought against the dixieland music piped in. Solution: Hold the pop music kiddie event games to 2 hours max. Turn off the dixieland music. Not everybody wants to hear the loud boom boom bass from Macarena.

ExtinctJenn

Are you saying that the people at the pool brought with them a stereo and were playing loud music or was it some sort of special event/party thing happening? I know during Easter they did a special "Riverside Pool Party" event but I wasn't aware of any other official things during normal times of the year. When we were there, the pool was beautiful and relatively quiet (aside from the noise of the actual guests themselves).

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Just returned from our 5th trip at Riverside - Port Orleans. As usual everything was great - except for the very loud and long music emanating from the main pool. I understand the kids games being played but seriously, 5 hours long? The loud pop music was obnoxious - and it fought against the dixieland music piped in. Solution: Hold the pop music kiddie event games to 2 hours max. Turn off the dixieland music. Not everybody wants to hear the loud boom boom bass from Macarena.

I'm interested in hearing more about your experience. Were the kids games going on the entire time? How was the a.m.? What time did you go and this was happening? Was it every day? Any additional info would be great!

Upvote 0

Raj Morganberg

Original Poster
I'm interested in hearing more about your experience. Were the kids games going on the entire time? How was the a.m.? What time did you go and this was happening? Was it every day? Any additional info would be great!
We asked a Port Orleans cast member and was informed that the kids games (with loud music and constant emcee chatter) was scheduled from 1:00 - 5:00 every day. However, when we arrived at 5:45 one afternoon, the games and music were still going strong.

Upvote 0

Lucky

We're at the parks in the afternoon anyway, but 4 or 5 hours seems excessive. If there's really a demand for this sort of event, they should confine it to a few resorts and publicize it, so people can avoid it easier if they want.

Upvote 0

Pooh Lover

We haven't been to POR for 3 years but never experienced anything like that and always walked past the main pool to get to our rooms. I wonder if this is something new or held possibly just during the summer months? We have always been there in September.

Upvote 0

stuart

The entertainment offerings at the pool are now much more expanded from what they were before, and year round. They started this what, late 2010 or late 2011 in the quieter months, was never on in June or July when we were there, but last year they decided to make it all year round.

There has been live music and bingo since either 08 or 09 with the trolley with speakers near the bar. Now that the entertainment - pool games - is year round, they have the trolley nearer the pool - opposite where the bridge steps were - with an umbrella for whoever is doing it.

The noise isn't overly loud we didn't think, but that is something objective to everyone. Well, we sit at the seats just on the right handside as you come in the main entrance by the steps, and there was no problem talking to one another when the music was on. It certainly was not obnoxious in any way shape or form, with the playlists got to be 'Disney appropriate'. There is also no way you can hear it from inside a room in either Magnolia or Arcadian. You could hear it from the path over there, but when in the room, you can't hear it. We were in Magnolia, friends in Arcadia. We couldn't hear it from the quiet pool between the two buildings either. The background loop was sometimes turned off and sometimes it wasn't when we were there.

Poolside, they start at 1 and go on till around the back of 6 before they have the campfire and then after that, the films shown in front of Oak Manor. When we were there, it was incredibly popular what was being done - whether it was the quiz or things like pie-ing a lifeguard in the face - and fair play to them for that!

There are leaflets in the lobby, included in your welcome pack, and signs on the path beside the pool advertising what is going on.

Upvote 0

worldfanatic

I spend many a day just lazin' around my resort when at WDW. And I LOVE the pools!
But nowadays, it doesn't matter which resort I'm at, I always use the quiet pool during the mid afternoon period.
I understand why they have them, the kids love it.
But personally, I can't stand listening to those pool parties!!!

Upvote 0

trylon57

on our last two visits to Pop Century (Oct.2010, Jan.2011) they had the same thing going on at the main pool;The Hippy Dippy Pool. A terrible DJ playing terrible music, drowning out the usual great music Pop Century has playing in the background. Loud and obnoxous-forget about trying to relax by the pool! We have been to Pop Century 9 times, and this noisy new addition is an unpleasant,loud headache waiting for you if you return to your resort in the middle of the day for some rest or a nap.

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Yeah,My DW saw the sign for " Bingo" at the pool.She goes to this back home with her mum.No way Jose! Whit the h... Were here for the magic and thrills,not this commercial c..p. We never once used the main pool and the disco music was one reason why.The 60,s were a blast,70,s glam rock fun,but the 80,s .No way am I dressing up as one of the village people.So the quiet pool was our chill out period.:)

Upvote 0

ExtinctJenn

I think the idea of doing things like this is that most people don't just "chill" in their rooms while visiting a Disney resort. They assume if you're at your room you're either preparing to leave, coming back to clean up or getting ready to head to the pool or someplace else. They don't work around the idea that from 1:00-5:00 there may be people just relaxing at the room. Personally, I love that they do things like this to add some Disney fun to doing something as simple as going to the pool. To me, and this is just one person's opinion, if you are looking for peace and quiet, a Disney resort pool is not where you'll find it. LOL! :D

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

I think the idea of doing things like this is that most people don't just "chill" in their rooms while visiting a Disney resort. They assume if you're at your room you're either preparing to leave, coming back to clean up or getting ready to head to the pool or someplace else. They don't work around the idea that from 1:00-5:00 there may be people just relaxing at the room. Personally, I love that they do things like this to add some Disney fun to doing something as simple as going to the pool. To me, and this is just one person's opinion, if you are looking for peace and quiet, a Disney resort pool is not where you'll find it. LOL! :D

I'm sure you're right -- but if Disney is not thinking that people want to relax at that time of day, they should change that thinking! 11am-3pm is "prime time" for parents bringing tired toddlers back to the room for an afternoon nap. In fact, a lot of adults like to take advantage of that time of day too -- most touring plans advise you to get to the Parks early, go back to the room for a nap after lunch, and return to the Parks later in the afternoon, when the crowds are past their peak. That's what we've always done. (Granted, we never had an issue with noise during that time, either -- maybe we've just gotten lucky with room and/or campsite assignments.)

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Our quiet pool at Mag Mansion at 1.00pm in July,had approx 8 to 10 people per day.There was enough sun loungers to accommodate a south American tour group. :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom