Port Orleans French Quarter

Missymoe4

For the first time we're staying in Port Orleans French Quarter for 9 nights, 10 days.

I've read some about it, but do you have anything else to share? Also, should I request staying in a particular area (numbered building) or just let them choose. Any of your suggestions or "beware!!" would be incredibly helpful.

I am extremely grateful for everyone's information on wdwmagic!

First of all you are going to really enjoy French Quarter. I have stayed there twice and loved it both times. Building 4 is closest to the main building (but not by much). There are only 7 buildings, so even if you are in the furthest building from the main building you won't be more than a 5 minute walk (tops). The bus service is better at French Quarter as you will get dropped off and picked up first. Be sure to try the boat service to Downtown Disney (or Riverside). It's a nice relaxing ride. From what I have read all the rooms have been refurbished as well so all rooms have queen beds now too. The food court is great but you may be disappointed that there is no tabled service restaurant. Boatwrights at Riverside is very nice however. Enjoy your trip. Good choice with French Quarter.

Upvote 0

Sassagoula-Rvr

I LOVE French Quarter....You have to try a beignet, and get one of the real ice cream cookie sandwiches. GREAT resort!! Bus service is awesome and it's so compact, theming is awesome. There isn't really a bad building in my experience (6 times there) And I believe they JUST finished remodeling!

Upvote 0

yoyoflamingo

Another vote here for a fantastic resort! It's so small you will never have much of a wait, and since it's about half the size of the other moderates, the buses generally don't feel as crowded.

I agree about the ice cream sandwich...delicious!

Such a wonderful, wonderful resort with magnificent theming. Charming and romantic.

Upvote 0

Lisalyn

Thanks for the great reviews from someone else who is doing a first time stay there in September - I'm psyched! AND I booked my airfare yesterday..another first - DME!!!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

DJV7

We've stayed at POFQ twice - in 2009 and have just returned from our second visit. It is our favourite resort due to it's size and theming. The rooms have all just finished being refurbished.

Bus transport is good. We had no problems even over Easter. The pool was great for our kids - they loved it. I don't think there are any buildings that you need to avoid as they are all within close distance to the food court and bus stop.

I don't think the food court is as nice as Riverside but it's just a 10 minute walk or boat trip. The boat to Downtown Disney is also great and often quicker than the bus.

We will definitely be returning - one day!!

Upvote 0

Sassagoula-Rvr

See I actually like the food court at French Quarter better, I would personally recommend against staying at Riverside....it is the "anti- French Quarter" Massive resort it feels like, buses were crowded the one trip I stayed there....vowed to never go back and have since only been at POFQ, Caribbean Beach (nice resort if you get near pool/food court!) and Polynesian....I prefer French Quarter though.

Upvote 0

DJV7

Yes definitely agree - overall I much prefer POFQ over Riverside (and over Caribbean Beach). Riverside just a bit too spread out and feels busier to me. POFQ feels much more relaxing away from the parks.

Upvote 0

The Incredible Schmulk

We've stayed there twice and have a third trip booked for Food and Wine in October. We've stayed at other resorts, but we always seem to end up back at French Quarter. It's a quaint resort that lends well to a leisurely pace. It's one of the best resorts on Disney property, when you factor in value.

It really could use a table service option independent from Riverside, especially considering that there used to be one there and the remnants still exist (although I can understand that, given the size, a table service location isn't really feasible), but aside from that, there's really little downside to the resort.

The alternate transportation to DTD is very useful, and the food quart is adequate and complete with items that cannot be found anywhere else on Disney property.

If I could make one recommendation that is outside of the normal advice proffered, it would be this: don't avoid the Scat Cat Club. It's a small lounge, but it's one of the better ones you'll find in any of the resorts. There are signature drinks, attentive bartenders and often live entertainment. It's a fun place to spend an evening and only a few steps from your room. You might as well reap as many benefits from the small property size as you can.

Upvote 0

Lisalyn

No problem good luck!! If you like Downtown Disney (I am not a very big fan rather go to the ESPN club) the boat is awesome too.

ha ha thanks again! This is what I plan on doing the day I leave...taking the boat over to DTD, perusing, shopping and then heading back to the hotel to hop the DME :)

Upvote 0

Missymoe4

Original Poster
Thank you for all this great information! I cannot wait to stay at POFQ. It'll be my first stay there (but may not be my last...)

Upvote 0

Club Cooloholic

May family and I will be there end of May/early June and we are very excited. Seems that all the rooms are decent. I just want one that is not facing a parking lot! Anyone ever actually walk to the quiet pools at Riverside? Know if the Lagoon at FQ ever gets too croweded that that might be a good move?

Upvote 0

datw@epcot

We stayed at the French Quarter over Easter weekend, here is some commentary:

- the food court options are great, I particularly recommend the Jambalaya

- being spoiled by the Beach Club pool, I thought the pool water temperature was a little cold, but it was also April so it may be warmer in the summer months

- the room was fine, no complaints whatsoever (except the knockoff toiletries in moderates as compared to deluxes)

- the grounds reminded me of Epcot world showcase, they were very nice and well themed

- as mentioned previously, the Scat Cat club was alright, I was excited to have a Hurricane but honestly, it wasn't anything special

- as mentioned previously, the bus service was great

- having the boat service to Downtown Disney was a nice bonus, on one of our nights, we watched Illuminations at Epcot, had a drink on the Boardwalk, took a bus from the Boardwalk hotel to Downtown Disney, had some drinks there then took the boat to the French Quarter, it was a lot of fun

Overall I liked it and will definitely be returning if/when I cannot obtain a discounted rate at one of the Boardwalk hotels.

Upvote 0

Todd L

Weve been lucky enough to stay at FQ two times and loved it!!

we just became Dvc'ers and the only drawback is that we will probably never get the chance to stay at F.Q again.

Great pool!!

great adult beverages at The poolside bar!! Try the margaritas and daquiris!!

One Bus stop makes it real easy to get to wherever it is your going!!

The first time we stayed in building 5 on the third floor...be warned..You can hear Illuminations EVERY night on the 3rd floor very clearly!!

It was okay the first few nights but got to be a bit much after awhile.

My room also overlooked the pool and the late night swimmers were a little loud too!!

Last time we stayed in building one on the ground floor.

Its a bit further from the bus stop/desk/dining room But much quiter and newer (updated I guess) than the other sections.

the bathroom is so big we set up the pack and play crib and used it as a spare room for our little guy.

The Boat to Downtown is a huge plus and really makes the trip so easy you may find yourself spending alot of time downtown and checking out all the good food and shops ..Have a great Trip!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom