Port Orleans French Quarter King Bed Question

J_Krafty24

In september I am getting married and honeymooning in Disney. I booked a standard room at port orleans french quarter and requested a king bed knowing that was a request given on a first come first serve basis (this is what I was told each time I called in to make a payment).

I called today to make sure I was all paid up and everything was OK with my reservation and was told I was booked as a waterview and would defenatly get two full beds. The man I spoke with said POFQ had three room categories. Standard, Water and King. This is compleatly different from what I was told every other time I called in. Is this really the case? Did they reacently make a change to their set-up? Or did I just get a bad CM?

Please help!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I am not positive how recent it was but Disney has been revising their room categories. If your original reservation was made before this change and I am remembering things correctly things like "king bed" that were a request are now a room category.

Hopefully JP will come in and clear things up as he will know all the official information.

Upvote 0

sksowell

Not sure - I have stayed in a King that was a water view (fountain) at POFQ. I would assume they still exist. When I booked, I booked a King and at check in was told that we also had a water view.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

As an add on to Pink Rose's answer, there may be a King Bed within a water view category but the king bed at that point would be a request, not guaranteed. Water View and King bed are the same price so I would call back and switch over. Belle

Upvote 0

J_Krafty24

Original Poster
As an add on to Pink Rose's answer, there may be a King Bed within a water view category but the king bed at that point would be a request, not guaranteed. Water View and King bed are the same price so I would call back and switch over. Belle

The man I spoke with said there were none available right now for the time I am there. He offered to look at different resorts but I didn't have time to stay on the phone. I'm hoping that because the payment due date is coming up one might become available. I don't see why they woudln't have changed my room from a standard to a king when they made the format change instead of from a standard to a water.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

As I have no idea what was booked at the time, I cant answer that for you. If a water view was entered incorrectly at the time, there was no change, it was just simply an error. The new room categories were done in the beginning of the year as I recall. Belle

Upvote 0

J_Krafty24

Original Poster
The new room categories were done in the beginning of the year as I recall. Belle

Wow, I guess several CMs dropped the ball with me then with these categores having been around since the beginning of the year. I've called several times starting in about Febuary to make payments or changes. Each time I confirmed that my requests (king bed and non-smoking) were on my reservation. Not once until today was it mentioned that a King bed was a separate category that I needed to book.

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

These categories have been around at least since 2005, when I was sniffing around POFQ but ultimately chose CBR; we stayed at POFQ in Nov. 2006.

There are only two possible upgrades from a standard room at POFQ: water view, and king-size bed. Each upgrade costs between $15-$26 extra per night, depending on season.

At ALL of the Moderates, Disney does not let you pay for and guarantee more than one upgrade. Strange, but true -- they won't take the extra money.

So if you want two upgrades, what you MUST do is decide which of the two is more important to you, and reserve and pay for that one. That one will be guaranteed. After that, you can request the other one.

AT POFQ, there are literally only about 4 king-size bed rooms that are also water view rooms, so your odds of getting into one of those is very slim.

Okay, what I wrote above is fact. Here comes my opinion ....

I imagine that a king-size bed will be more important on your honeymoon than the view. That said, let me tell you about the view at ALL of Disney's Moderate resorts. All of the Mods have exterior corridors ... your door and window open up onto exterior corridors, the walkways everyone uses to get from their rooms to everywhere else and back. That exterior corridor is between you and what you want to view. So if you have your curtains wide open to enjoy the view, then everyone walking by has a great view of ... YOU!

Furthermore, at ALL of Disney's Moderate resorts, they have a creative use of the term "water view." WHen most people think of water view, they think of the Sassagoula River at POFQ and POR, Barefoot Bay at CBR, and so on. However, water view can also mean a view of the pool or even a fountain. No, that wasn't a joke, it's very real. You can request that the water view be a river view, but that request can't be guaranteed at all. You might have a view of the pool which might be noisier than you'd hoped for.

My advice is reserve the king-size bed room, if you can, and put water view in as a request, if you want.

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

To confirm...

Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter Resort has 3 specific bookable room categories:

Standard View Room - all have 2 double beds; view may be of Parking Area, Gardens, or Courtyards. A specific view may be requested but never guaranteed. There is a total of 769 rooms in this category.

Water View Room - all have 2 double beds; view may be of the river or the swimming pool. A specific view may be requested but never guaranteed. There is a total of 117 rooms in this category.

King Bed Room - all have 1 king bed; all have a non-designated view, it can be any of the above. A specific view may be requested but never guaranteed. There is a total of 62 rooms in this category.

These three room categories have been in effect at Port Orleans French Quarter since at least 2003 (that's as far back as I could research from my sources, it may be even older.)

At this time a king bed room cannot be requested at the moderate resorts, it must be booked as such. I do apologize you were given incorrect information when you first made your reservation.

As others have said, I would recommend you trying back from time to time to see if a King Bed Room becomes available at Port Orleans French Quarter and possibly consider switching moderate resorts to find one if this amenity is very important to you.

Upvote 0

Dagger

I totally understand your desire for a King bed (our preference too) but just wanted to add in case you can't get it... at least if one bed gets, *ahem* erm... messed up, you have another freshly made bed available! :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom