Port Orleans Bedspread FIASCO!

jkl2000

Original Poster
Noooooooooooooooo! :eek::eek::eek: Don't they know how much time I spent analysing the room photos on portorleans.org, and that we arrive at POFQ tomorrow? Don't they know the bedspreads are part of what I expected DW to see upon first entering the room in which we're going to live for 8 nights? Is this just because the fridges are no longer an issue and they HAVE to inject SOME drama?

From http://www.portorleans.org/news.php:

Fri 18th Oct 2013: Themed comforter bedspeads replaced with plain white sheets

The gorgeously detailed and themed comforter bedspreads which formed so much of the initial impact of that first moment when you walk into a Port Orleans guest room appear to have been removed. According to reports from current guests (in Alligator Bayou and French Quarter so far) there isn't even a "bed scarf" now (that strip of decorative fabric which some hotels place along the foot of their beds) to mitigate an otherwise clean & sterile expanse of white.
Maybe it's just me, but I just don't think that a deeply themed and story-based environment such as Port Orleans is really the right place for the latest trendy fashionable hotel chain look. It also seems a real waste, given that the 3,000+ comforters were only a year or two old after the last refit.
What a shame, I feel that Disney really can (and did!) do better than this.

jkl2000

Original Poster
I like white in hotels rather than the disgusting comforters, but I get the style may be affected. At least with white, I know it's been cleaned and bleached properly. I like bed scarfs, since they are easy to throw in the closet!

I admit that once those comforters with patterns become out-of-date, they REALLY look out-of-date, but somehow with the regular POFQ rooms, it's practically ONLY the comforters (which weren't yet out-of-date) that were providing any theme to the room.

kasey1988

Interesting.. We had a bed spread when we were there a few weeks ago. I enjoyed the look even if we didn't use them.. Wonder what the reasoning is...

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I don't think that quite qualifies as a 'fiasco' just yet...;).

I think we might want to take a "wait and see" approach before getting upset about this.
I got a little twisted when I heard about pool towels a while back and it ended up being nothing.

Whatever the case, at the end of the day it's a "first world" problem. :)

PolynesianPrincess

This doesn't really qualify as a fiasco..... Personally, I don't like the bed spreads. After staying at the Poly last month where they had the white linen and the scarf on the bottom, I don't think I'd like to go back to a room with a bedspread (I'm going to have to suck it up though since Pop and CBR both have bedspreads and we're staying there next month..)

Weather_Lady

It was announced a year ago that the DVC properties were all going to be transitioned to "triple sheeting" bedding by 2015, and I had read elsewhere that the other resorts were going to do the same eventually.

I'm on the fence about this one -- I totally agree that the themed bedspreads (at least, the newish ones) are pretty and help set the scene. I also agree with those who worry that they are dirty and/or unsanitary. However, at the prices Disney is charging, they ought to be providing the best of both worlds -- a clean triple-sheeting arrangement coupled with appropriate throws and decorative pillows to maintain the theme.

jkl2000

Original Poster
Gawrsh, it seemed pretty obviousy to me that I was using the term "fiasco" in jest.

This just in: Princess Room "fireworks" headboard lighting replaced with bare, compact fluorescent bulb.

epcotisbest

At BLT about a month ago:
image.jpg

minniemickeyfan

Stayed at Caribbean Beach this past June and they didn't have those bright Nemo bedspreads. I was grateful for the white sheeting, just seems like they can keep it cleaner and hopefully change everything now in between guests!

dreamfinder

So does anyone know what happens with the old comforters? Can I buy one for my house and pretend I'm sleeping at POR? Much thanks for any leads...

Try places like Theme Park Connection on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/usr/themeparkconnection). They and a few other sellers tend to buy up the stuff that WDW is phasing out in bulk. I've seen rocking chairs from AKL, full sets of dishware from restaurants, wall lights from the All Stars, and yes, the occasional linens.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I can't remember the last time I stayed at a non-Disney resort or hotel that hadn't already gone to the white sheeting. I like it. The difference is the other hotels I've stayed in the walls and rugs are now the color in the rooms. Vanilla walls and white bedding, well bluck. Disney needs to balance the white out with other color if this is the direction they are going.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom