Pop's looking good! Coronado eh...

deeevo

Original Poster
I usually don't write but a review but I wanted to give quick feedback on my experience with Pop Century this weekend. Just got back from F&W race weekend and I stayed 1 night at Coronado and 1 night at Pop both nights in newly refurbished rooms. First I would like to say I really like the style of the refurbished rooms and the way Disney is going. I was really against it until I saw it first hand. I really think that Coronado's refurb is great. Everything you have read is true about the new rooms but I am still not sold on the resort itself. The hallways are so dull and dingy. Floors are dirty. Elevators are yuck. Just not my thing and this is my second time staying there. I got a good rate so I took a chance.

After the race we headed to Pop and got a room in the 90's building as requested. Now I have not stayed at Pop for about 3 years but I noticed as I was walking up how clean and fresh everything was. No chipped or faded paint. Sidewalks were cleaned. Hallways were bright and all of the props were like new. Then we got to the room and the refurb was so bright and clean. Bathrooms had much more space and the two queen size beds were so nice. The new TV looks huge in that tiny room. I was impressed with the new look. I was not a fan of the photos until I saw it first hand. When we came back at night I noticed the props had new neon LED lighting and not one bulb was burned out. Overall I think Pop is heading in the direction I would like to see Poly go or Beach Club go. Those are Deluxe resorts that need this extra love with the prices we pay to stay there. I would also throw Coronado is there as well. Anyway just wanted to give some love to Pop because they worked hard to clean it up. I am sure it has nothing to do with the Skyliner. If that is the case they need to do something out those Little Mermaid rooms.

bjlc57

how far along is the refurb at Pop.. do you know.. we want to go back some time in March, April or May.. this is our current timing..
does anyone know when the refurb will be completed?

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
From what I understand from asking while i was there in Oct it should all be done by May of next year baring any unforeseen problems with any of the buildings.

daisyduckie

Sorry you didn't like CSR. I've stayed many times and have used an elevator there twice. They are easy enough to avoid, I think most elevators are yuck. I'm confused what hallways you are talking about. You mean the outside ones around the rooms? I guess I never considered those hallways.

arielrose

My husband and I stayed at CSR in September and had pretty awful service. I agree with it needing love. This was our first time getting to stay at a moderate resort. We found a roach in our room 2 different mornings. Everything looked clean, but you could tell it was all very worn! We didn't use the elevator so I can't comment on that! We have a Pop room booked for the end of April so hopefully that will go better. We might upgrade to Port Orleans when AP discounts come out.

deeevo

Original Poster
My husband and I stayed at CSR in September and had pretty awful service. I agree with it needing love. This was our first time getting to stay at a moderate resort. We found a roach in our room 2 different mornings. Everything looked clean, but you could tell it was all very worn! We didn't use the elevator so I can't comment on that! We have a Pop room booked for the end of April so hopefully that will go better. We might upgrade to Port Orleans when AP discounts come out.
I rarely see a AP discount for Port Orleans so if you end at Pop request a 90's,80's or 70's building. 90's and 80's is done and 70's will be done by the time you go.

deeevo

Original Poster
Sorry you didn't like CSR. I've stayed many times and have used an elevator there twice. They are easy enough to avoid, I think most elevators are yuck. I'm confused what hallways you are talking about. You mean the outside ones around the rooms? I guess I never considered those hallways.
Yes those hallways and not all the elevators on property are yuck. I stay on property pretty often (3 times last month) FQ,POP and CSR. CSR is in pretty ruff shape comparably but I knew that going in. I got the room for $140 a night with the AP discount so its really not a big deal.

Clamman73

I liked the new rooms at POP more than I thought I would from looking at the pictures...but the floors are a bit of an issue being that vinyl type. I was on the third floor and could easily hear people above who were wearing shoes walking around the room. Also, I was there on the F&W marathon days and could easily hear people at 3:30-4:00am getting ready to leave.

Amos1784

I would take Pop over Coronado ANY day. Coronado is the only Disney hotel that we have stayed at on property that I was underwhelmed with and felt no attachment too. Not to mention the horrendous bus service. The Pop refurb was exactly what it needed and could not agree more the grounds last time we were there were immaculately taken care of!

daisyduckie

I would take Pop over Coronado ANY day. Coronado is the only Disney hotel that we have stayed at on property that I was underwhelmed with and felt no attachment too. Not to mention the horrendous bus service. The Pop refurb was exactly what it needed and could not agree more the grounds last time we were there were immaculately taken care of!

That is kind of funny as usually CSR is touted to have some of the best bus service.

I really enjoyed my stay at Pop too. But I just wish their bus depots at the parks were not soooo far out from the park gates!

bhg469

That is kind of funny as usually CSR is touted to have some of the best bus service.

I really enjoyed my stay at Pop too. But I just wish their bus depots at the parks were not soooo far out from the park gates!
CSR has indeed had amazing bus service but really these days, does any resort? Coronado is definitely one of my favorite resorts but the new direction is not that great. They still have the best counter service out of any moderate by far and the grounds were always great for us. I just dont think I will ever stay there again based on price.

Amos1784

Our experience was over two years ago at Coronado with the bus. We just over all did not like Coronado, so it could have very well influenced our feelings on the transportation.

DfromATX

Bummer... this isn't very encouraging. We'll be at Coronado in June. I was looking forward to it and planned to request a refurbished room.

daisyduckie

Bummer... this isn't very encouraging. We'll be at Coronado in June. I was looking forward to it and planned to request a refurbished room.

My last stay at Coronado was just over a year ago. Other than needing to be freshened up a bit, the resort was good. I didn't notice any dirty floors or anything of the like. But then, I figure if the walkways and hallways are outside, they are bound to get some leaves and dirt on them. Can't keep it from happening..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom