Popcorn refills

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Well now you have defined what it doesn’t mean, could you define what it does mean?
"Length of stay" = a discrete event measured from the time you get there to the time you leave.

If you're a one-day guest, that means the day you're there.
If you're staying three days, that means for the three days you're there.
If you're staying two weeks, that means for the two weeks you're there.
If you're staying more than two weeks, why are you worried about the cost of a bucket of popcorn?

Disclaimer: not official Disney policy -- based on common use of English

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

What does Length of Stay for a local AP mean anyway then?

I bought a bucket last May. After a week I frankly had my fill of popcorn. Also, hauling a bucket around with you all day long (at restaurants and rides too!) quickly loses its lustre - and dignity - if it isn't filled with sand and you're a five year old at the beach.

No regrets though, it was fun for a few days! I'd totally want to know the exact regulations if I were a very frequent visitor.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
What does Length of Stay for a local AP mean anyway then?

I bought a bucket last May. After a week I frankly had my fill of popcorn. Also, hauling a bucket around with you quivkly loses its lustre, and dignity, if it isn't filled with sand and you're a five year old at the beach.

No regrets though, it was fun for a few days! I'd totally want to know the exact regulations if I were a very frequent visitor.
Common sense (I know, right?) would say that if you live in Orlando, but not on Disney property, then your length of stay would begin when you arrived on property, and end when you left at the end of the day. If you decide to take a multiple-day staycation on property, the same parameters apply -- start when you get there, and end when you leave to go home, after check-out.

Clearly, I have to disclaim all this with the notice that I don't work for Disney and can't speak to this from an official policy perspective. I'm just basing my conclusion on common sense and my understanding of the English language.

On the other hand, if you live in Orlando, and ON Disney property (Golden Oaks, for example) then someone will have to explain to me why a paltry bucket of popcorn even figures into your financial calculations.

UKDisney Dave

Surely it means, use your common sense?!

To me the common sense approach would be for Diseny to say “valid for 14 days from purchase” or similar, not to have an ambiguous time frame like “length of stay”. As The Empress Lilly says, what does it mean for an AP or regular visitor?

The original poster stated discomfort/displeasure caused by the CM having to explain the rules, and not being totally clear on them, and a later post then went on to say one vendor was saying one bucket design was no longer valid, but another vendor was clearly allowing that design to be used. We also had three different pics of menu signs with differing information. All this leads to lower guest and cast satisfaction.

So again, I would argue that length of stay is not clear, and the common sense thing to do would be to change this.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
To me the common sense approach would be for Diseny to say “valid for 14 days from purchase” or similar, not to have an ambiguous time frame like “length of stay”. As The Empress Lilly says, what does it mean for an AP or regular visitor?

The original poster stated discomfort/displeasure caused by the CM having to explain the rules, and not being totally clear on them, and a later post then went on to say one vendor was saying one bucket design was no longer valid, but another vendor was clearly slowing that design to be used. We also had three different pics of menu signs with differing information. All this leads to lower guest and cast satisfaction.

So again, I would argue that length of stay is not clear, and the common sense thing to do would be to change this.
Let me ask this -- if you visit Liverpool for three days, how long is your "length of stay"?

UKDisney Dave

Assuming I stay in Liverpool for those three days, it’s clearly three days. But what if I drive home each night, and return the following morning? Does my commute mean I can’t get popcorn on day 2?

What if on the second day I take a trip across the river (most likely on a ferry!). Does that day trip end my length of stay?

Your definition of length of stay is at odds with our popcorn expert castlecake2.0 who in the second post of the thread said “As a former certified Disney popcorn vendor ;), the refillable buckets are good for “length of stay” which is usually until the bucket changes design“.

Which brings me back to the issue of having bought a bucket a couple of days before the design changes, and then being embarrassed when told by a CM that it’s no longer valid.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Assuming I stay in Liverpool for those three days, it’s clearly three days. But what if I drive home each night, and return the following morning? Does my commute mean I can’t get popcorn on day 2?

What if on the second day I take a trip across the river (most likely on a ferry!). Does that day trip end my length of stay?
You must be a barber, 'cause you seem to like to split hairs. Do you live in Liverpool? No? Then your visit to Liverpool begins when you get there and ends when you leave. If you don't "STAY" overnight, and go home every day, your "STAY" ends when you leave (like local AP holders who aren't "STAYING" on property).

Your definition of length of stay is at odds with our popcorn expert castlecake2.0 who in the second post of the thread said “As a former certified Disney popcorn vendor ;), the refillable buckets are good for “length of stay” which is usually until the bucket changes design“.

Well, clearly, if Disney defines "length of stay" as "until the bucket design changes," then so be it. But according to at least one other trained and certified Disney popcorn bucket filler, the one you encountered at the front gate, they don't.

Agreed that Disney should probably be more specific in their wording, but only because people don't seem to be able to parse the phrase "length of stay" in plain English any more.

As for being embarrassed by a bucket change, I anticipate the exchange should go something like this:
CM: Sorry, we don't honor that bucket any more.
G: But I bought it just two days ago.
CM: Ah, well, since we just changed buckets yesterday, I'll be happy to refill it for you at no charge for the inconvenience.

Now, assuming you bought the bucket on your last visit, four months prior, you could reasonably expect:
CM: Sorry, we don't honor that bucket any more.
G: But I bought it just four months ago.
CM: Ah, well, since the bucket was valid only for the length of your previous stay, I'm sorry but I can't refill it at the discounted price. I can, however, offer you our current refillable bucket, valid for the length of this visit, for only $10, or you can purchase a single serving for $X.00."

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

Oh my...
tumblr_m5rybk9Cxs1qd5rivo2_250.gif

First its the forever refillable resort mug... now its the year long refillable popcorn bucket. Disney really needs to get a parks signage attorney to close those loopholes.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Oh my...
tumblr_m5rybk9Cxs1qd5rivo2_250.gif

First its the forever refillable resort mug... now its the year long refillable popcorn bucket. Disney really needs to get a parks signage attorney to close those loopholes.
I'm guessing changing all the signs to read "Discounted Refills Available Only Until You Leave Disney Property" would cost more than the $.04 cents worth of popcorn and oil and salt they're still making $1.46 on...

SBPAM

I'm guessing changing all the signs to read "Discounted Refills Available Only Until You Leave Disney Property" would cost more than the $.04 cents worth of popcorn and oil and salt they're still making $1.46 on...
So during my last stay I bought a popcorn bucket at the american pavillion three days later (we stayed for 10) my husband went to get a refill and the CM said that bucket expired. My husband was like I just bought it a few days ago...they let him refill but what if your pattern expires during your stay? I recommend holding onto receipt!

daviddnv

Original Poster
So after reading all the comments and such (btw, this is probably the most active board I’ve ever seen), I think Disney makes the refill policy purposely ambiguous. They don’t want to give a hard expiration date because that will allow you to think about it a little longer and probably just get the normal size. Those that don't get the bucket as a collectible probably get it thinking they will get lots of refills, but in reality they probably forget the bucket (like me most of time), lose the bucket or just don’t bother getting refills. But it’s the thought of getting a “better buy” at Disney, where not much is thought of as a “better buy”.

In fact, I would venture to say its most about visitor experience. When you buy the refillable bucket, you feel good, regardless if you ever refill it or not. There was a study about slot machine players and how endorphins are released when a slot machine “almost wins” (aka loses). You feel good, even when you lose, so you keep playing. It’s not about the refill, it’s about the potential refill at the time of purchase, and those endorphins are released at time of purchase, so you are feeling good. And I think that is point at Disney, make you feel good as much as they can.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
Most places won't give you a problem to refill your bucket if you have the "seasonal" bucket or the "everyday (one with all of the four parks)" bucket. It seems to really just be at the discretion of the CM as I've seen people refill the park-specific buckets in just the last week.

nickys

Premium Member
"Length of stay" = a discrete event measured from the time you get there to the time you leave.

If you're a one-day guest, that means the day you're there.
If you're staying three days, that means for the three days you're there.
If you're staying two weeks, that means for the two weeks you're there.
If you're staying more than two weeks, why are you worried about the cost of a bucket of popcorn?

Disclaimer: not official Disney policy -- based on common use of English

Lots of UK visitors stay 3 weeks ;)

But for AP holders it isn't that clear. I know some who have been told it lasts until their AP runs out, but clearly they don't - at least not at every refill station!

JIMINYCR

So after reading all the comments and such (btw, this is probably the most active board I’ve ever seen), I think Disney makes the refill policy purposely ambiguous. They don’t want to give a hard expiration date because that will allow you to think about it a little longer and probably just get the normal size. Those that don't get the bucket as a collectible probably get it thinking they will get lots of refills, but in reality they probably forget the bucket (like me most of time), lose the bucket or just don’t bother getting refills. But it’s the thought of getting a “better buy” at Disney, where not much is thought of as a “better buy”.

In fact, I would venture to say its most about visitor experience. When you buy the refillable bucket, you feel good, regardless if you ever refill it or not. There was a study about slot machine players and how endorphins are released when a slot machine “almost wins” (aka loses). You feel good, even when you lose, so you keep playing. It’s not about the refill, it’s about the potential refill at the time of purchase, and those endorphins are released at time of purchase, so you are feeling good. And I think that is point at Disney, make you feel good as much as they can.

Marketing strategies entice the buyer to view deals where the buyer thinks he/shes getting more than theyve paid for when in reality the sellers making profits from buyers not completely using the deals. A friend of mine who ran a gym loved all the sign ups on New Years because he knew 90% of people wouldnt use their gym time after a few weeks and its pure profits for him.
Disney should have a clearer statement detailing the refill policy park wide so there wouldnt be this confusion among the buyer and the CM's at various kiosks.
There isnt a question about it, everything has been constructed and designed to make guests get immediately drawn into the Disney experience. From the moment you pass through the entrance to the parks your senses are intentionally being bombarded by pleasant sights, sounds, smells and images to send you into a mood of happiness. Forget about the world youve left behind. Theyre masters at enticing you to leave your money behind as well.

Ariel.momma

I have never bought one. Honestly, how many times are you going to refill it? I would buy one and probably not even finish it. Then you have to carry it around all day. Not for me.

my friends and I and our 8 kids went to Disney last week and we bought 3 buckets filling them each time we saw a vendor (which ended up being about 4-5 times) we ate that popcorn like crazy! It was the one thing my 2 year old loves and he probably ate a whole bucket on his own plus some. It was awesome to be able to refill it for the day we were there! We tried to fill it up before we left since we had a 3 hour drive back home the next day but we went to the vendor over by splash mountain and they wouldn’t let us fill it up because it was 2 min past 9:00. Later we saw people by the entrance/exit gate filling up buckets and we could have stopped but at this point everyone was leaving the park and we weren’t wanting to stop in the huge crowd. I was disappointed that the guy wouldn’t let us fill ours after only a couple minutes past closing unless we had the after hours pass, because we were walking to the exit and just wanted popcorn on the way out. Otherwise we got great use out of our buckets and feel like we did save money with our refill prices!
I wasn’t sure if we could take them back because my husband and I bought 4 day passes and used one day of them so far so I was hoping I could refill them when we went back for our other three days! I guess it’s worth a try, I have a stroller so worst case scenario throw it in the bottom of that if I have to carry it around all day.. or buy it in the paper bag and dump it into the bucket because I like having the lid and bucket for my kids so they can easily eat it and not spill as much.

DisneyAndADoleWhip

I bought a bucket in November, went back a couple weeks ago and brought the bucket on a gamble that it would be the same design (Star Wars). It was, and we had no issues getting refills.

erasure fan1

This whole confusion seems like the perfect thing for Disney to implement their 2 billion next gen tech for. I mean look at how much money in popcorn they can save by linking your bucket to your magic band! Heck, with the money Disney saves with rfid on soda, and add in this, and I'm sure we'd see new Etickets for sure. :cautious:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
This whole confusion seems like the perfect thing for Disney to implement their 2 billion next gen tech for. I mean look at how much money in popcorn they can save by linking your bucket to your magic band! Heck, with the money Disney saves with rfid on soda, and add in this, and I'm sure we'd see new Etickets for sure. :cautious:
I trust that if Disney thought they were losing money on popcorn refills, they'd put barcodes or RFID tags on the buckets so they could track that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom