Popcorn Buckets: A Disectonomy

CaptinEO

Original Poster
(i wanted a modern journalism sounding title)

Popcorn buckets. What are they? What are your thoughts on them?

I first noticed popcorn buckets becoming a thing in about 2017 with Pixar Fest. I don't recall if they existed before then.

It seems like a weird question, but why do they exist? You can't get discounted refills in them, why would someone want:

a) An annoying to clean piece of plastic at home to eat one snack out of
b) A giant piece of plastic to lug around Disneyland in the event you buy popcorn (which would already come with a cardboard box for free)

It doesn't seem logical. People want these for their shelves, they are large toys that are hollow on the inside. Which is why I have this theory. The reason popcorn buckets exist is because of the following:

1) The company wants more places to sell merchandise
2) Disguising a toy as a food item gives them the go ahead to sell toys at food carts throughout the park
3) Having something big and flashy that are not only seen at the carts, but carried by guests, attracts eyes and therefore leads to more sales
3.5) When guests see other guests with these items, they become "must haves"
4) When guests are seen lining up at carts, the "Find Out Miss Out" effect generates more buyers

In summary, I firmly believe that Popcorn Buckets are a disguise to sell cheap hollowed out pieces of plastic all around the parks by pretending they are food items. This also seems to have worked pretty well in the last few years, but who really has the space for all these things?

DanielBB8

Disney isn't the only place to sell souvenir popcorn buckets. They are a big feature at fairs and other theme parks.

It's is a toy that can hold more popcorn than the basic popcorn bag, plus you can get refills at some places for less. And it serves as a souvenir that you take home from the visit. Not everyone has a huge collection, but surely APs collect them. The casual visitor probably just has one.

mickEblu

Well I have 3 popcorn buckets. 2 of the Toy Story Aliens - the original and the holiday version and the Mickey with Christmas Tree (that lights up) from a couple years back. I got them for my son except for the original alien which I kind of got for myself for the novelty of it. Between the unlimited popcorn and the fact that it doubles as a “toy” sparing me from buying a more expensive toy, I saved money. We use the two holiday popcorn “buckets” as Christmas decorations. The rest of the year they are in storage bins in the shed.

Last edited:

waltography

I have a guilty pleasure for the Mickey balloon popcorn buckets - I think they're really nice, I like the variety of colors you can get them in (though I'm partial to the classic red), and I've seen them used around the park as satchels/purses too for small things.

Disstevefan1

(i wanted a modern journalism sounding title)

Popcorn buckets. What are they? What are your thoughts on them?

I first noticed popcorn buckets becoming a thing in about 2017 with Pixar Fest. I don't recall if they existed before then.

It seems like a weird question, but why do they exist? You can't get discounted refills in them, why would someone want:

a) An annoying to clean piece of plastic at home to eat one snack out of
b) A giant piece of plastic to lug around Disneyland in the event you buy popcorn (which would already come with a cardboard box for free)

It doesn't seem logical. People want these for their shelves, they are large toys that are hollow on the inside. Which is why I have this theory. The reason popcorn buckets exist is because of the following:

1) The company wants more places to sell merchandise
2) Disguising a toy as a food item gives them the go ahead to sell toys at food carts throughout the park
3) Having something big and flashy that are not only seen at the carts, but carried by guests, attracts eyes and therefore leads to more sales
3.5) When guests see other guests with these items, they become "must haves"
4) When guests are seen lining up at carts, the "Find Out Miss Out" effect generates more buyers

In summary, I firmly believe that Popcorn Buckets are a disguise to sell cheap hollowed out pieces of plastic all around the parks by pretending they are food items. This also seems to have worked pretty well in the last few years, but who really has the space for all these things?

The Disney popcorn bucket has evolved into very cool souvenirs. Same thing for the Trader Sam themed drink glasses. In both cases I prefer to NOT have popcorn or drink in then and I keep them as souvenirs.

Figments Friend

Pffft...

Popcorn buckets are SO 'two years ago'....
Ya'all need to get hip and get with the times!

Everyone knows THE 'hot collectible' at the Theme Parks now is 'themed sippers'.
Last years glowing 'Haunted Mansion' Madame Leota sipper was a eBay flippers' sensation.
The latest one, themed like Jabba the Hutt's frog creature containment chamber, is equally sizzling!

Step right up....and collect em' all, kids!
:)

-

Stevek

The only one's we've ever bought are the Christmas versions and we use those as decorations. I believe we have 6 different ones, one from WDW and the rest from Disneyland.

1609983748569.png
1609983763743.png
1609983778931.png
1609983798563.png
1609983945512.png
1609983892655.png

Stevek

The Disney popcorn bucket has evolved into very cool souvenirs. Same thing for the Trader Sam themed drink glasses. In both cases I prefer to NOT have popcorn or drink in then and I keep them as souvenirs.
Well they don't actually serve you your drink in the Trader Sam's mug you take home but I agree...those are one of the few things I collect from Disney and I've now pretty much limited to only Trader Sam's Anaheim.

Stevek

unmitigated disaster

Some people like them. I have the R2D2 popcorn bucket and the Pluto Christmas sweater bucket. I use the R2D2 as a candy dish.

I mean, I don't get the fascination some people have with Mickey ears or pin trading but hey, makes other people happy and that's good enough for me.

Robbiem

Did these come from Tokyo?- I remember seeing them there in 2008 when I first visited.
like most things the japanese take popcorn bucket collecting very seriously!

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Pffft...

Popcorn buckets are SO 'two years ago'....
Ya'all need to get hip and get with the times!

Everyone knows THE 'hot collectible' at the Theme Parks now is 'themed sippers'.
Last years glowing 'Haunted Mansion' Madame Leota sipper was a eBay flippers' sensation.
The latest one, themed like Jabba the Hutt's frog creature containment chamber, is equally sizzling!

Step right up....and collect em' all, kids!
:)

-
what's a "sipper"? I really dont know or can picture what you talking about. is it a cup of some kind?

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Yes.

A quick Google search for 'Disney World Sipper' will likely turn up a bunch of photos as examples.

Seems to be a 'thing' now.....

-
was hoping someone would just quicly post an example in here.. let me look..one sec........Oh those. I WOULD rather have that than a popcorn bucket especially the thanos infinity gauntlet one

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom